1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Xlnation.city Domain Name

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Jan 15, 2015.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

domain-names-variety.jpeg
    The Domain xlnation.city has replaced xlnation.net. Don't Panic!! It's still the same XLNation. Please take time to update your bookmarks on your browser. The new domain is registered for 5 years.

Now the boring stuff about why, and what this means? Read if you dare.​

OvNWByP.png
    1. The xlnation.net domain is set to expire on July 2015. For the last month I worked with Hyperwolf to renew or transfer the domain to me. I can't speak for Hyperwolf but my impression is that this is not a big concern of his. We tried the domain transfer process which normally is a simple 24 hour process only to find out that Hyperwolf is not the domain admin. Only a domain admin can authorize a transfer.
    2. He has the relationship (if there is one) with the domain registrar for xlnation.net, so only he can resolve this issue. The domain admin actually owns the domain name and controls it. Not having domain admin control is a bad thing for Hyperwolf and us.

301_redirect.png
    3. While the internet is fast, a lot of things don't move fast, especially search engine links. To insurance the continuity of XLNation I cannot wait until July to try and resolve the domain issue.
    XLnation.city is newly registered. I created a 301 redirect of xlnation.net to xlnation.city on the server. This is a big flag for search engines. This does some great things:​
    • Users going to any link on xlnation.net now automatically "redirect" to xlnation.city. The process is seamless. You should still update your browser bookmarks, since at some point (as early as July 2015) xlnation.net will cease to exist.
    • This informs Google and other search engines that all current xlantion.net urls indexed need updating to xlnation.city. Over time all the search results will be updated to reflect this new reality. This may take 3 to 6 months to complete.​
    Unknown.jpeg
    Now the Bad News (see there is always bad news.) Sites like Simtropolis, Focus Home Interactive, Reddit, Simcity CN, etc with hard links to xlnation.net have to be "fixed" by the site owners. Links internal with xlnation will function just fine.

Unknown-1.jpeg
    Now the good news (see there is good news). A number of features are now available to me to make XLNation more reliable and faster.

1. I can now implement a service to protect XLNation from Malware, and DDoS attacks

2. I can now implement a CDN (Content Delivery Network) that will speed up the website by moving photos and mods etc into data centers around the globe. When your browser requests a photo and or mod for example it will be serviced from the closest data center to your location.

Rene, Peter912, Supersnake and 7 others like this.
  2. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

I can really just thank you for taking so much care of xln :)

Rene likes this.
  3. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice work Icy.

The only thing that sucks is I have to redo my colour scheme. :cry:

4. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Wow NICE to see you take this move early! Didn't even knew that the site has a new domain name before checking this thread out. Being early in doing stuffs like that can bring good results in the future :)
    And with those new features that you can do now since you have full control over the domain, XLN will be better than ever :D
    Thanks for all the hard work you've done through these months for XLN. Good luck Icy (y)

5. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

Well done good name change

6. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Could barely remember my password since I'm used to autocomplete. :p

Anyway, not a bad change at all. The .city domain is more appropriate and unique to the website, and having more security protection is a must.

Just one question as I don't know much about this stuff: after the .net domain expires, would it be open for use by another website? Or would it be gone for good?

7. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Varies slightly by domain registrar but after it expires hostmonster may "keep it" and then try to sell the domain to the highest bidder. Usually after a few months the domain is released and then anyone else can register it.

The xlnation.net domain will have residual value later with random clicks to it from old links etc, some sites do anything to get traffic to their sites (i.e. adult websites etc). Currently there is an xlnation.org active domain and godaddy is trying to sell the xlnation.com domain.

8. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Thanks, IcyHot. Totally trust your expertise on matters like this. I appreciate you taking the reins so quickly and getting things taken care of.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

About the sites fixing links, Focus Home Interactive still has a pile of links pointing to dead forums so I imagine they wont update the link to xlnation in a hurry without being pushed.

The xlnation.net domain will get picked up pretty quick by domain hunters for advertising as it's been around for a while and has a good amount of traffic. You will have to keep an eye on it or do a pre-order to make sure you get it.

Rene likes this.
  10. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

one big thank you!

11. Supersnake

Supersnake Mayor

Good job Icy!

12. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I still hope to get Hyperwolf to at least renew the domain registration for another year.

Rene likes this.
  13. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Fingers crossed

Rene likes this.
  14. Supersnake

Supersnake Mayor

Crossed bones
    ;-)

skullz613 likes this.
  15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

nice move Icy.

16. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Neat moves you are doing Icy. The new domain and other news are superb:D
    Like many before me said, I owe a huge thanks to you Icy!:)