1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

CJ Yekavalov

Russian city

1. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Clemech4 submitted a new resource:

Yekavalov - Russian city

Read more about this resource...

TheBoss24 likes this.
  2. Kurtis Edwards

You have a great European style city, but I think it lacks the defining characteristics of a Russian city. I watch Russian car crash compilations all the time and their streetscapes are very tree lined with either really tall or squat buildings. Yes, the core of their cities are just like any other European city but once you are out of the core, communism is very visable.... 'common-blocks' are a defining characteristic of Russian cities that cannot be left out. Just like you couldn't really design an American city without a visable downtown and suburban sprawl. You also need many large, very large avenues and infrastructure. Again, its a beautiful city, I keep looking over the pictures. I just feel the "russian" aspects needs a bit more detail. Great job though, honestly. I, myself, can make Canadian/American/Australian cities really good but struggle with European design.

3. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you for your comments, i know, russian cities have common-block everywhere around cities but don't worry it's just some pics not showing the whole city. I'm working on it and i try to do my best to get a Russian atmosphere ;)

4. Kurtis Edwards

Looking forward to it! I have always had an interest in Russia. I am GIS technician so I have been looking at maps my whole entire life too. LOL. Haven't seen anyone bust out with a Russian style city yet. They use the Moscow and St. Petes map but not the infrastructure. Now, if I could figure out which of my mods are screwing over my citiesXL I could actually get a city journal going.

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Okay, now for my 4 star rating:
    I like your city a lots! As Kurtis Edwards already pointed out,
    there are missing some typically Russian elements like the standard commie blocks,
    one thing beneath others...
    But as you already said, the city is still in progress, so this is not the reason why I give
    you only 4 stars...

Starting with the plaza you show, I must say, it looks terrific, very good execution,
    but it was rather easy to construct this plaza, given that you used small pedestrian paths
    (1m, 2m, 3m). The decorating hedges but look very neat, give a nice add-on...

The Red Square looks beautiful, plain, but still beautiful, and the Kremlin-like
    complex was done in a excellent way!

Going over to the large roundabout, I must say that I really like that structure,
    and would want to see a streetview image of that area!

The building on the next image shall resemble one of the Seven Sisters Buildings
    that one can find in Moscow? If so, you did a very good job!!!
    With no doubt it must have been a pain in the ass to plan and execute that complex!

Same holds for the little half-round building complex in the following photos!

Also like your not so dense industry area, you vary the buildings a lot, very good!
    I'd only have wished for a bit more different plazas,though!

One thing I find a bit strange are the trees in the harbour area with the military ship aside,
    does not look realistic...

I like that you cared about the Urban Walls as noise barriers, very good!

And the countryside of your city looks fascinating, better than mine!

I also like how you go along with RHM and no-collision mods!
    The point is that I expect such things to be in any city, so they should be normal,
    in my humble opinion!
    For your plazas, I'd suggest you to use more placeholders like small collision-box statues
    of the UEPs by Monty and then put flowers or trees in there...
    Then I would have preferred if you had stayed to one type of building in some areas,
    rather than mixing them all up. I can see some chateau or castle together with some commie
    block buildings by pauliaxz, that is irritating, and I dislike it...
    just to give one example...
    Then, at some points in your city, I'd have wished to have more decoration for a certain object,
    e.g. for the citadel of the Latin Pack close to the sea, you could have exposed it more
    and cared a bit more for the decorative elements around...
    Also, you rarely show some recreational parks, you either have French Garden-like structures
    or just forest, but your city's inhabitants need also parks for recreation, with more grass area,
    some deco like playfields or so, too...
    I know that your city is still in progress, so I expect this with the next update :p
    In general, these critical points are more minor points, nothing much to worry about,
    improve a bit and I'll give you 5 stars within the next updates :)

6. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you for your comment, i know, i have to improve some points and my city is not perfect but it's difficult to build a perfect and realistic city :p
    Yes, the tower is inspired of the Seven Sisters Buildings, i build 2 other buildings like that, i really like these towers.
    For the trees around the nuclear power plant, i wanted to create a forest to isolate the mititary area and the power plant from the rest of the city, it's no more the harbour area.
    And finally, I'm happy because you're recognise the Kremlin :D
    For the next update, i'll take your advice in consideration and do my best to obtain a Russian city :)

7. heonetsung

heonetsung Executive

Hey, man! 5 stars for you! The plazas and the cornered buildings are fantastic!
    Could you advise where can we get the heavy crane within the railway station(The one next to that old man, not from the harbor pack)? Is it plopable?

8. Kurtis Edwards

Hey, dumb question but how do I rate a city? I'm clearly overlooking something. I agree, those gardens are spectacular. I want to recant, I think there is more Russian detail than I originally thought.

9. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

It's easy, select the "review" tab at the top of this thead

10. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you guys, the crane is from the harbor pack located in manufacturing industries, special buildings, but I don't know if the mod is already on the new site of xlnation. ;)

11. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, that old muslim town does not look like a muslim town at all,
    and it does not even look old. Go for example for Kazan, which is considered the
    Islamic Center of Russia, and look for the more muslim parts of the city.
    You will notice that it does not really differ from the other parts,
    except that it has mosques instead of churches.
    And one thing, the Russian Metros are always underground.

12. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

13. kipate

kipate Governor

I acknowledge your findings, but it still appears strange to me. The Quarter
    looks like somebody threw together all kinds of buildings that you can find for CXL
    and declared the result to be a muslim part of the town, no offense, though.
    Especially these buildings by aitortilla01 look out of place...
    And looking for the same in Kazan, it really has no differences with a typical Russian City, hmmh.
    I find this strange but also interesting. Maybe we can find a common base for what buildings
    people could use to resemble a such an Islamic Quarter. And after looking up the images of Orenburg,
    I have become even more confused...
    I agree that the Japanese Buildings are mandatory, and so are the Russian ones by PaulJChris.
    No-collision is always good, too. But some of the in-game buildings look partially out of place, too.
    Maybe an somehow older mosque was good to have, too? You said that the muslim town existed before the
    conquest of Yekavalov, so was the old mosque destroyed, then?

14. Deuxpont

Deuxpont Vagabond

So amazing! Love how you combined the buildings to complex structures and how you integrated the railway net! Looks quite russian, btw! Even the outskirts and the nature parts became quite authentic and look vivid. This city is definitely worth a trip!

15. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you deuxpont,
    I'll rework on the muslim town and add a bigger mosque, I think Kazan is a muslim city only and not a orthodox one with a muslim minority like my city, but i agree with you, there's no difference between russian muslim cities and other russian cities.

16. ARCHitect

ARCHitect Executive

I really like this Russian feeling of your city! In my opinion there are some types of buildings at don't fit into a Russian city but in general i love it! Keep it up mate

17. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you :)

18. 80sreject

80sreject Unskilled Worker

You have sunk allot of effort into this and I enjoyed seeing the talent you have displayed in your CJ and can't wait for an update.

19. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

A second update is coming soon with the CBD and some new districts :D