1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Bay Of Islands City Building Competition 2018

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Mr.X², Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Bay of Islands, City Building Contest, March 2018
    City Building will take place between 2018-02-24 - 2018-07-31. City Builders may submit up to 10 photos between July 16, 2018 and July 31, 2018, for judging in the Official Contest Submission Thread. Winners will be announced August 16, 2018. Winners will be awarded special "banners" that will be displayed under their avatar on XLNation.​
    The Rules:
    1. Your City must be built on the Bay of Islands map produced by @skullz613 (Thanks for doing this!!)
    2. Build any type of city you like.
    3. No restrictions on patches or mods
    4. Submit up to 10 Photos in an official thread by July 31, 2018 in the designated forum thread which will open at July 16, 2018.
    5. You are free to choose your game version (XL or XXL or CSL) (a special overview must prove you built within CXL map limits when participating wih CSL)
    6. Every member of XLNation is invited to take part

How to?
    Just download Bay of Islands map and start building a city you like on it. No limits, just fun! You can discuss and post pictures about your cities / the competition here.

The Spirit of Community
    Share your work as you progress in the building period. Encourage each other. Bystanders can cheer on their favorites. Remember, this is a game and we are supposed to have FUN. This contest is not about the biggest city but the best in various categories. Everyone on XLNation will be able to vote for their favourite citys and participate in category voting.

The changes in this competition
    1. increased building time to 5 months
    2. decreased submission and voting phase to each 2 weeks
    3. open category voting to everyone, by starting a public thread instead of personal messages

Cities will be considered for the following Awards
    Win, Place, Show (Voted by the Community) -- Unique Medal and 15/10/5 Trophy Points

Category Winners will get a Unique Medal and Trophy Points.

The categories are:
    • Best rural or farm region
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best RHM interchanges and highways
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport
    • Best Looking Rail Networks and Stations

Good luck everyone, and most importantly Fun!

2. East Pavilion-er

East Pavilion-er Executive

I love this map to heart--with a very interesting reason. I had asked ronrn to make a map called S City (Maps - S City), but this is not the full picture of the city. The full map looks like this(white=land, black=water):
    upload_2018-2-26_0-13-48.png However, I have not yet decided the shape of the lake. This map however, gave me an inspiration of how the lake shall look like.
    upload_2018-2-26_0-17-34.png
    The "lake" on the map fits in very nicely.
    Also, S City has a downtown core and some satellite cities. One satellite city, located in the southeast of downtown, is called Huiyuan (its litary meaning is drawpark, "绘" means draw and "园” means park). It has a population about 500,000 and is situated in the area of the map. So I will build this city for the contest. It's my first time! Woohoo!
    The city of Huiyuan is very Chinese. I decided to build a Chinese style city because (above all I live in China and know the look of Chinese cities) I saw high-quality Korean and Japanese cities in the last competition, so I want to continue the "East Asian trend."
    I have already had some preliminary planning of Huiyuan. The first pic is area planning and the second is transportation planning.
    upload_2018-2-26_0-23-16.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-26_0-26-31.jpeg
    Please give me some advice on how to plan and build my first competition city! Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

3. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey mate,

one of most important things is to plan ahead. We all have like five months to finish the city, but we all do have a real life beside XL Nation. So you should not overestimate your abilities to finish complex strucutures. For example, your plan of building the airport in the middle of the map sounds good? But what if you cannot finish it in time? Then you end up with an unfinished airport in the center of attention, and that may not look convincing.

I don't say that you should not build it there, I actually don't know right now what the perfect spot for an airport is on that map :p I only want to have you focused on your building schedule ;) It will be difficult to construct a big airport, and a big port, and some big industry, and still decorate it all adequately ;) Have a look at the airports of the previous competitions, something like that may be your competition :)

So this is my second advice: specialize. If you have never built a big seaport, then maybe don't try it now. Focus on the things that you already know how to construct and improve yourself whilst building it^^ I don't say that in this case you should not build any seaport at all, but then maybe just something simple, nothing extraordinary.

Another point is to try to foresee how the finished product will look like: for example, if you built some skyscrapers next to the border of the map, you may not get good screenshots without the border being seen, and that may be annoying in the contest in the end.

Also, don't forget to make back-ups!!! :D

4. East Pavilion-er

East Pavilion-er Executive

Thanks kipate for the advice!
    The map (in my perspective) is a big lake, so the seaport will not be that big. A small one is much easier to construct.
    Also, I have experience building medium scale airports, so it will be easier to build a larger one. It's a very good opportunity for refining the skill.
    I am pretty good at RHM, so I think I may focus on it.
    And the industry. I don't want the one to the east of airport now and change it for a storage area for airport. There will be less effort decorating a small storage area instead of a large industrial area.
    I am a student and I have summer holiday from middle of May. So I have plenty of time for deco!
    I'll follow up the progress of my city in this post. Please check my future progression!

kipate likes this.
  5. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, @East Pavilion-er I like your ideas in general, I would love to see the outcome :)
    Sounds good that you will have a lot of time soon (y)

Still, don't get me wrong, but here are some examples of what you may have to compete against:
    Best Airport by DrazicDesign:
    [​IMG]

Best RHM by needspeed17:
    [​IMG]

Best Industry by myself:
    [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think you will do an amazing job with your city! I only want to say that even for us veterans of the game, it is almost impossible to have a landslide win when you have more than 10 competitors. Hence we all specialize :)

XOUSTE likes this.
  6. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

Well... count on me!
    (y)

Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  7. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Looking forward to see your city!

8. kipate

kipate Governor

So, guys, where are you? :D
    Once again, let's try to call you:
    @Inan, @ronrn, @ObelicS, @giorgoselsedai, @Miguel, @Ammar Shaker, @needspeed17, @Clemech4, @BahadirB, @selodinger, @Myname, @Gioroman87, @chupobumbo, @benhur1967, @Project_Oz, and all the others that I forgot to call :p

Also, there are some members whose cities I would love to see, too:
    @lennon77, I have seen your overhaul of Antila, and it has become really a decent European town. I would love to see you participating ;)
    @ciro, the same holds for your city of Hellano, I love the road layout, you would surely do a good job :)

By the way, @skullz613, you're a Kiwi, and it's a Kiwi Map, so you have to take part in the challenge, otherwise you're a disgrace to all the other Kiwis :D

selodinger, BahadirB and Drazicdesign like this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

Also, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon y'all :D

New city castle built on an old citadel:
    I know it's not much, I just want you all to start and not to waste time :p
    [​IMG]

ObelicS, BahadirB, Jotaere and 3 others like this.
  10. chupobumbo

chupobumbo Executive

I am experiencing some issues in building on the new map... it makes the game run slowly and when i try to use some plazas the game crashes...don't now why, i haven't the same problems with the other maps...:cry::cry::cry:

11. kipate

kipate Governor

Maybe post a log?
    So we can avoid others having the same problem ;)

12. nicknick

nicknick Governor

i am also here :)
    Started laying things on the map

Map IS huge. . . it seems easy but it's a complex plateau with all the bays and coves

I have decided where things will be, laying highways but the whole thing is still a big messy mess hahahaha

@chupobumbo
    a not so time consuming method, if this is the case. . . would be to see which mods you added last days
    I have no issues with the map, everything ( cross fingers ) runs smooth, i 'll delay laying any plazas till the very end

What about other maps? Can you make a test maps and run the same plazas there? I mean, are the issues appearing only on the specific map at your side?

ObelicS likes this.
  13. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

@kipate
    It begins well!

@chupobumbo,
    it's a shame, I hope you will solve the problem!
    I invite you to follow the advice of Kipate and nicknick

In any case I would like to see you participate!
    I wish you good luck,

@nicknick
    Glad to see you participate again in this contest,
    Without wanting to put pressure on you, I am already very impatient to see your future masterpiece!

To complete the beautiful list of Kipate,
    I think also @Kitsunebi, @keshaa, @loren banovic, @Mr.X², @ovarz, @needspeed17, @Jotape, @yu450146219, @SOUL Productions, @RedZone19, @parisenforce, @Kaiman, @Wibi, @SeptianAjie, @cox_brandon, @toop,

And all the others to whom I will not have thought!

Good game everyone,
    "Take pleasure and share it"

:toast:

BahadirB, Jotaere and kipate like this.
  14. nicknick

nicknick Governor

@Drazicdesign Thank you!

Pressure? Naaahh. . . i have put all the pressure of the world already on me :p

Summer is a bit slow so i 'll do my best to make the whole project get realised :)

I 'd really want to see these good players taking part!

Don't forget:
    It's always a matter of focusing on what you want to do.
    Is it great to cover the whole map? Yay, yay, it is
    Is it possible when someone takes in consideration real-life commitments?

Nah, not really.

So: focus on what you want to do, start from some point of the map that triggers your interest and work things from there.
    This is also what special categories are there. We have seen submissions with little map coverage taking good prizes and deserving it wholeheartedly because the delivered a stunning park or a captivating airport.

So, yes it's a city contest but above all it's about: fun. This.
    Have fun, explore what you want to do. A park? a harbor, some of it? and older city? a new one.

15. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

I have some ideas for new city but right now my RL is too busy for building something. But i really hope that till july i will build something :D

16. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I started as soon as I uploaded the map. I could of been cheeky and started before but that's not the type of person I am :)
    I had a big discovery a few weeks ago before the competition. I found the standard in game music was crippling the amount of time I'd play and my creativity. I have now replaced all the tracks with 1 hour long dubstep and jungle mixes. It's really made a huge difference. Wish I'd done it ages ago.
    Regarding filling the map, I've got a bit bold and have made towns, a big power plant plus a larger city area. Also trying to get crafty with RHM.
    cxl_screenshot_wai land_9.jpg

@East Pavilion-er As said before by others, no one needs to completely finish the whole map. Screenshots can easily be done to show just areas you have worked on without showing empty spots.

BahadirB, Mr.X², kipate and 2 others like this.
  17. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Hope you have time soon to make us a masterpiece, you know do so well!

We can not distinguish the details of your city,
    But that said, I already like all these little winding roads

Here is my participation,
    Unlike the last concour, this time I have chosen to build a European city!

For my part I started with the central square of the city's historical heart, 20180303003302_1.jpg

selodinger, Kimopolis, XOUSTE and 6 others like this.
  18. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Because it's a secret :)
    Nah, I was just showing I have spread across the map. I will post some close up pictures at some point. My farms and small town areas have the most detail. The city area has a few buildings and a housing area. I'm still working on the layout. I

19. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Only just seen your comment. I hope to get most of it if not all finished. Just made my first sunken stretch of highway thanks to Drazics tools.
    It's even got a curve in it. Took a bit of work but I have the hang of it now.
    cxl_screenshot_wai land_17.jpg

XOUSTE, BahadirB, Project_Oz and 3 others like this.
  20. kipate

kipate Governor

Fantastic work with the highway so far, I love it (y)
    Now it just needs some exits and junctions :p

Also, freaking awesome details @Drazicdesign :)

Jotaere and Drazicdesign like this.