1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Ur Opinions

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by mrmajkl, Sep 4, 2014.

1. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Can't get past the installation - won't accept my email or user name.

2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Had the same issue. Got frustrated and clicked on "PLAY'' anyway and the game started.:confused:

kipate likes this.
  3. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Thanks for the tip. upload_2015-3-11_8-34-56.png

4. Hypercynder

Hypercynder Skilled Worker

I love Cities skyline , but I will put only 8/10 because I don't like the bugs and that this game have no monuments like tokyo tower

Rene likes this.
  5. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Spent around 5 hours in the game yesterday building two cities to around 6,000 folks. Enjoyed myself and the time flew by. Still trying to wrap my head around the best way to do things.

My thoughts
    • The Steam Workshop is a crazy mess right now, so many folks are uploading and creating items. Many are duplicates and I suspect we are facing the quantity vs quality problem. I think it's too easy to add items now.

• The integration of the Workshop with the game is awesome, it was fun being able to browse maps, load them, and then decided to keep or delete from the game.

• I am still confused about buildings from the Workshop, not sure if they just grow or you have to plop them

• Granted the Graphics are "cartoonish" but the simulation seems fine.

• I am still trying to figure out "best practices" regarding the bus system and roads. I suppose that will come with time.

• Cities XL is still the better choice for great looking realistic cities, while for a simulator Skylines is the better choice.

• I ran the game on both the Mac and Windows Client with no problems (though the Mac Client cannot use the Steam overlay). Graphics looked the same to me (same computer).

• The game is gonna need disasters for more end game fun.

• Fires only burn down one structure, it never spreads to surrounding buildings like the old SimCity if you don't maintain a proper fire department

• Strangely specialization (I have only done forest and agriculture) doesn't look overly bad though it cannot compare to the look of a farm region in Cities XL.
    Overall there is a lot of potential here. If the wild west of the Workshop can be tamed, with a way to find the quality and not just the quantity things will greatly improve.

So yes I enjoyed playing Cities: Skylines and plan to continue. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Rene and kipate like this.
  6. Destin Faroda

Destin Faroda Unskilled Worker

Here's my oppinion.

Negative:
    - The standard maps force you to accept the prebuilt highway and train system. Looks like island cities will be impossibe.
    - Unlocking stuff is so arcadish, but there's a mod getting rid of that.
    - Buying 8 additional city squares is a nuisance. I prefer complete maps like in XXL which makes planning zones and streets much easier.
    - Highway intersections don't seem to snap to existing highways. The same is true for the train stations.
    - Different lot sizes and XXL's farm system would have been a better choice than standardized 4x4 lots. If you use curvy roads, the 4x4 lots turn into a mess.
    - Service ranges are a bit too low. In reality, a university offers education to a whole region and not only the next several blocks. Why not only using a capacity system?
    - The art style is not very realistic. CiM 2 had a better and more realistic style.
    - The German translation has several spelling errors, but it is understandable.
    - Culture and entertainment is missing. There's not even a library!
    - Trash is a giant problem and despite dozens of garbage dumps (not that far away from zones), the problem remains.
    - I'm missing trams and monorails.

Positive:
    - The game is stable and runs well on my old machine. Good work!
    - Roads are not as edgy as the ones from XXL and constructing them is quite easy.
    - There is a nice variety of power plants (even water which I've been missing since Sim City 2000) and they produce electricity instead of tokens.
    - The district system is a great feature that allows you to personalize the city.
    - The flowing rivers are a nice addition as well.
    - I also enjoy the industry specializations.

Neither XXL nor Skylines are perfect city builders. XXL has better maps, different lot sizes, fillers, superior farms and culture/entertainment. Skylines has the better simulation, performance, music, traffic and the look of the city really changes over time.
    Regarding the Steam Workshop dilemma: let the people upload the crap to Steam Workshop while XLNation specializes on the high quality stuff.

Rene likes this.
  7. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

can You describe Your old machine spec? thanks..

8. Auriga

Auriga Vagabond

I also played a couple of hours now and I can basically agree Destin Faroda and IcyHot. At the moment Cities XXL is still the best choice for realistic cities and Cities Skyline for managing your city.

But I can definitely say that the road tools in Cities Skylines are the best damn thing I have seen so far in a city building game! It took me while to get used to it but than:

preview.png

It took me just around 30 minutes to build this, of course it is visually not perfekt, for example freeway lanes are visually interrupted at the connections of the ramps but these are just details. The road tool is super flexible, you can connect almost everything, everywhere even intersections with a very steep angle are possible. On the other hand it is absolutely easy to use and precisely, they did a pretty good job with this tool.

razonan and Rene like this.
  9. Destin Faroda

Destin Faroda Unskilled Worker

Amd Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition (4x3,2 GHz)
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 (old middle class card)
    Asus Xonar DX

@Auriga: that is a brilliant highway crossing.

Nogerivan likes this.
  10. ronrn

ronrn Governor

OK.....did about 7 hours today of Skylines.
    I feel a city sim game can go in only one of 2 directions, management or building. As the saying goes: you can please part of the people part of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." A perfect blend of the two themes has yet to be created. Would I love to be the developer to create such a game...$... You bet your sweet p'tooty.
    As a retired construction worker and "semi-profesional" architect (don't ask me what 'semi' means:), I lean a lot towards the building side, so my opinion is slightly biased.
    With Skylines, it seemed like 'rush hour' all over again. Trash piling up and places burning down around me. I spent a huge majority of my time dealing with and averting disasters, such as relocating pre-built roads/highways from flooded areas, caused by putting a hydroelectric dam in the wrong place (who knew the global water level behind it would rise), to figuring out how (in the UI) to assign enough hearses to carry of the dead. If I had just one mod request, it would be to get rid of those skull & crossbone icons.
    The simulation statistics are fairly accurate and believable enough (I won't bore anyone with the math), and with a mere population of 10,000 it took up all my time in management with virtually no time for expansion and I was playing sandbox with unlimited money, tools and map areas.
    The road building tools are refered to as "cumbersome", even by the games own 'tool tips'. The game ran smooth enough (with only 3 crashes) and the graphics are very good, though the last time I saw that many pastels was on a color pallette in the Home Depot paint department.
    And for some wierd reason, in the back of my mind the whole time I was playing, I just couldn't get rid of "cities of tomorrow' images.
    All in all, I got my 10 bucks worth of fun out of it and will probably play a bit more and then pass it off to my grandson in a few months just like I did the last version of SC.
    IMO.....XL/XXL still holds the world title for best city "builder". I hope it sticks with the visual reality theme that I think it has now and I look forward to a long lasting relationship with recovering from crashes, trying out and managing hundreds of mods, and downloading newly developed versions, regardless of how small or insignificant the trolls and critics claim them to be =).

pingyao and razonan like this.