1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Countries Xl - Update On Concept (29/01/2015)

Discussion in 'Countries XL Information' started by Dreian, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Guys,

We have looked at the situation following the start of our Countries XL project, and we would like to update a little bit the concept to make it more flexible for players to join, contribute & reducing the number of gameplay restrictions that were initially thought.

With Cities XXL about to be released, we should try to benefit from that wave of new possible players & revamp a bit our COXL concept.

First, seems there are not a lot of initial teams where all members are still active. This is a major problem for the isolated players that would like to continue the adventure.

Secondly, no one wants to be frustrated about not being able to build its city further.

The following proposal is based on an idea Veija2 formulated to me & Peter, and after a quick discussion with COXL moderation team, we think we might try to get in that direction if you all (active players) agree. So what is going to change

1. There is no need to be a team for creating a country. A new player can ask for creating a new country. He becomes de facto president of the country & builds the capital of that country. A player can rule only 1 country. He’s then responsible for the Country Journal & the updates

2. A president can publish job offers to all the community for building additional “satellite” cities within his country. The job offer should precise some basic elements “size of city, urbanistic style, economic orientation”… anything that might be helpful to understand the gameplay he wants for that country.

3. Players now have the choice of developing their own country, as well as participate in the development of other countries.

4. The quantity & size of the satellite cities depend on the size of the capital city & the “Round limits”

5. We are still keeping a round structure for contests & some very small restrictions.

6. The restrictions on use of landmarks (famous buildings) are still applied. BUT:

a. Players can claim a landmark in the forum & submit it to vote to the community

b. We are axing the restrictions for “National Development Projects” & modular structures. We want you to have fun, but try to stay realistic in your approach.

7. The round limits are more indications & there is no need to comply drastically to them. Please only keep coherence with what you publish.

8. If you are interested to go in that direction, please share your point of view on those new rules, & let discuss the two major points.

a. How to organize the claim of famous landmarks (those who were applied a 1-2 category in the list we shared in the appropriate thread)

b. Definition of the size & number of satellite cities depending on the capital size: a country with a 200 000 capital could have additionally 1 city of 100 000, 2 cities of 50 000, 5 cities of less than 20 000 (this figures are totally arbitrary).

Hope to receive a lot of feedback from you guys! Long life to Countries XL J

2. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Woah that's a lot of changes and I like them so far but I'll have to think more about these changes
    tomorrow, the time in my place is a bit too late to think 'constructively' of such changes :p

I'm also going to discuss this with my teammates in the PM tomorrow also to see what we'll do next...

3. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

How we should organize the claiming of landmarks, I don't know... maybe we could use contests to give points to spend on landmarks? So if you finish in 1st place, you get 5 points to spend on a landmark. If you think you have enough points, you can ask for a certain landmark and then others choose the price you'll have to pay. If you choose Taipei 101 for example, other people can choose a price between 10 and 20 points.

It's probably better if there are no limitations on the city size. Sometimes the capital city isn't the biggest one in the country (USA, Brazil, China, Morocco etc.).

4. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Yeah I like roybs idea, especially the one about capital cities.

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I like RoyB's suggestions. I'd also like to expand on them with a few ideas that my team agrees on:

1) Assign cost/points to landmarks up front. This way players know what they will need to get the landmark they want, and some players won't pay 10 points for a landmark similar in game value to one that another player had to pay 20 points for.

2) I think there has to be some sort of limit on city size, or there will soon be a problem comparing countries in various competitions. I suggest allowing each country to decide how they want to distribute allotted population. For example,

country with 1 city = 1x population
    country with 2 cities = 2x population, distributed as the country sees fit

Or population could be an incentive for 1 player countries to seek team mates/contractors for extra cities. I really like how CoXL is about team play - I'd hate to loose that. Maybe countries with 2 cities get 10% more population, or free resources from a player-donated pool of resources, or something like that.

3) Satellite cities of a country must be conceived within the geographical area assigned to their parent country. I.e., My country is in geographical area #1. All cities I contract for are also in geographical area #1. They are new development/cities in my country, they are not colonies.

4) areas of the map that haven't been selected by a country president as of a certain point in time may be "explored" and colonies could be established. This could get complicated down the road when new players want to join, but it also could be fun. it's a thought anyway.

5) A country president can at anytime invite the mayor of a secondary city in his country to become a team member instead of a contractor. The announcement of the merger would be made after the offer was accepted.

6. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Veija, for the input, i am in favor of what your propose.

I really have to give some focus on the world map... i promise i will deal with that very soon... if our friend Aitortilla don't come up too fast with a splendid pack of buildings to play with!

7. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I pretty much agree with you, Veija. Only thing is that I think it's better just to let the moderation team (me, kipate, Dreian) decide how many points a landmarks costs when someone asks for it. It's sort of time consuming to do everything now. If no-one has any further remarks I'll add the points system this weekend (I'll give everyone the points they would have received by winning the previous contests).

I like your idea of limiting the city size by number of cities in that country. That way players will be 'forced' to work together. The third rule is a bit obvious if you ask me. Also one country can have different climates so I think we should just let the player choose. Everyone sees that it's unrealistic to build a desert city near the poles :p.

8. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I dicussed it with Dreian and kipate, but the most important aspect is your opinion of course. Let us know what you think of it and we'll implement it.
    • Teams are no longer needed. One can make his own country, but also join an existing one. It is also possible to join multiple countries or just make a small project like an airport.
    • Restrictions on landmarks still apply but one can ask for '1'-marked landmarks in the forum. Everyone votes, but we (Dreian, kipate and me) have a veto so that we can decide whether it should be obtained by winning a contest or not.
    • The round structure still exists but just as an indication. Everyone can be building in a different round. There are still small contests but you can only win honor. This is because of the difference in rounds between players. People will be able to submit their photos and vote in the forum when they want. The poll will continue and people can change their votes at all times.
    • If someone decides to join, he starts wih round 1 (not the introduction round). All the rules still apply.
    • No restrictions on city sizes. The difference in progress between players makes it hard to control the city sizes.
    • There will also be big contests with big prizes. These will have time limits so that there will be a winner. People can ask us if they want a certain building (see 3.) and if we decide that they have to win it, we use these contests.