1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Play Diary of work on increasing the maximum card size. Outrank size 10x10

Discussion in 'Game Play Support and Other' started by lexflame, Dec 7, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. You're insane

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. All have already tried

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Respect

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

I'm pre-arranged with the moderators if they postpone my post. As it seemed to me, this section is perfect for seeing such records. What for? I still hope to break a bottle of Chapan about a card that will be more than 10x10 and at the same time it will work in all versions of Cityes well or at least in XXL.

And if, nevertheless, I do not get it, then this post will either be a source of new searches, or become a source of failures in this direction.

2. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

3. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

Day Two - December 5, 2017

5. Dismantled internal data files
    - gamedata.din
    - chunksize.bin

6. I found a programmer who worked on parsing bin files for Falcon 4. I found information about parsing bin files for Cities XXL, unfortunately I could not find the link, but now I know the program for parsing data from QuickBMS. It has a special script for parsing the data of our game.
    - - Tutorial with QuickBMS
    - Luigi Auriemma
    - GitHub - DeathChaos25/FE_Fates_Class_Randomizer: Very horribly written python class randomizer for FE Fates

4. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

Day Three-Four - Down Shift - December 6-7, 2017

1. I decided to make my map in the realities 10x10
    2. I collected it through the official editor, it turned out well, what I wanted, I was studying the issue of creating water for it.
    3. At 50% dismantled the file of gamedata.bin - its the storage - archive (compression method is not completely understandable)
    4. Several times re-reading - chunksize.bin - I realized that the answer is in the size exactly there. That compress ANSI.

5. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

I'm intrigued, even though I have no computer skills about what is possible?

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

One of the maps (think it's The Lake on the Plain) has an extra 10x10 area on one side. This is filled with water only. Shows there is somewhere in the game files that determines maximum area. I have been meaning to look into it further but always have other stuff to do.

7. Monty

Monty Governor

On the map editor there is an option to add that water area on the edge of the map.

8. ronrn

ronrn Governor

The map editor gives the option of water on any one, two, three, or all four sides of a map. I suppose that could be considered to be a 30km x 30km area. On the subject of the map editor, if the game were capable of accepting and using a larger map, we would certainly need a new or modified editor to produce larger maps.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I was thinking about that extra water yesterday and it's probably designed for aesthetics more than anything else.

10. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

Soon I will finish work on a major project in my work. And again, I return to this problem, there is an idea to turn to the map through internal API and somehow interact with it. What actions will be next difficult to say, but in the game libraries I did not find any references to the dimensions, there is a frame in which the current map is composed without taking into account its attributes, hence it is necessary to dig into the inner teams.

11. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

How the map?

12. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

This is also a good question ... He also takes me. Nayavno I assume that you can do with the current map editor.

13. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

Last year.

Someone could not help on the forums. Events in my life and professional activities.

AUGUST 2018.

Everyone was fine. I needed information about LUA. Once I understand what is happening in this topic. I found out that there are operators that make it possible to change certain properties of the primitives inside the game, as well as all the global arrays INGAME, which led me to study the map editors and then I stopped working for a while.

14. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

OCTOBER-SEPTEMBER 2018.

I continued to work and dismantled the vast majority of the functions of the LUA. Found a method Command Post responsible for sending data to the pool of games from the LUA. It took me about two or three days to analyze all the functions. It turned out that the engine has a whole list of interfaces for working with the game engine. Most of the menu in the game and navigation at the time of navigation on the planet is implemented and controlled through the LUA. My research again returned to the map editor in which I found the property SceneDimension. Actually, it interested me. At that moment I returned to the study of the LUA, still believing that it was possible to change the size of the map through the LUA.

15. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

DECEMBER 2018.

I came close to solving my problem. I disassembled most of the map editor libraries and the game launch file using dotPeek and IDA Pro Disassembler programs. After the last time, having passed through all the chains of the LUA game, it was fully established that it was impossible to change the size of the map with the help of the LUA. But one thing I found out exactly the LUA file of any of your cards gives access to all the functions of the LUA so that you can even change the main menu of the game depending on which card the player has chosen. But still disassembling the startup file of the game, I found in it the SceneDimension variable, which is calculated using a special mathematical function. We are planning to rewrite the method of calculating SceneDimension data inside the file and after collecting a new file with the possibility of creating a large map.

Myname, skullz613 and kipate like this.
  16. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Your devotion to this is awesome. After being told by the developers nothing could be done, I thought that was the end of the search. Hopefully you'll find a way without compromising gameplay.

17. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

In Russia, at all times, there was an unwritten law: kill, steal, deceive, die - but complete your task.

BahadirB and skullz613 like this.
  18. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

As you learn to make bigger maps, do you think you can make smaller maps? Playing for many years and I have not seen cities, with mods, built on the entire surface of the map (lag, crashes). It would also be useful to run competitions on smaller maps. Good luck and hope to succeed what you want to do.

19. lexflame

lexflame Skilled Worker

I do not plan smaller cards. What for? Errors, lags, glitches and bugs are in all software, even in Apple.

20. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Try to build a huge city with some mods, then you will know why i asked for smaller map. I have a city.... almost used all the space. To load, i need between 5 to 10 minutes and is on ssd drive. After that i need to pause the game build for 2 or 3 minutes, save, quit the game and start over. Sometime the save file is corrupted and i need to start from previous save. so in 30 minutes i probably playing 10 minutes and is very frustrating that you are so close but you can't finish.