1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Donations will be open soon

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by skullz613, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have managed to get the donation addon sorted. I have left the original goal Icyhot setup showing for now.

I will be working out how much it will cost for the initial move and setup a goal just for that purpose.
    What I have paid for the current hosting will go towards the new one so it's only the difference that will need to be paid.

Once we are setup on a VPS, I will add a goal for the cost's of the new hosting. From what I have seen it will most likely be a monthly cost. If there is enough donations we may be able to pay every three months to save a few dollars. I think paying over six months or a year would save more but it would be costly.

There will be a cost breakdown for everything so everybody knows where the money is going.

Lokentaz, Mr.X² and Monty like this.
  2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

OK guys. I have spent most of this afternoon researching web hosts. If we stay with the current web host it's going to cost quite a bit money.
    I found lots of reviews for another web host called KnownHost. There are quite a few recommendations from members on Xenforo's main forum as well.

Here's what the cost breakdown will be and details of each VPS.

Namecheap VPS 2 - Xen

1 Month Hosting: $49.95
    cPanel: $11
    Management $30.00

Total: $90.95

Details of VPS

500 GB Bandwidth
    2 GB RAM (2 GB Burst)
    60 GB Disk Space
    2 CPU
    Dedicated IP: 2

KnownHost VPS-3

1 Month Hosting $38.25 (discount code added)
    cPanel: $5
    Management: $0

Total: $43.25

Details of VPS

9000 GB Premium Bandwidth
    3.25 GB RAM (Guaranteed RAM)
    95 GB Disk Space
    Equal Share CPU (16+)
    Dedicated IP: 2

The bandwidth is important as much as CPU and RAM due to XLN chewing through it like a hungry caterpillar.
    I don't think that 500GB a month will be enough near the end of the year due to the site growth. We have used over 300GB already since we have been backup. 50GB of it was from transferring the site files to the server.

KnownHost looks really good and the fact that they are managed (still have root access as well) is great. I don't feel like having an un-managed VPS as I have done it before and it tends to take up a lot of your time.
    I'll lose what I've paid for the current host but as it's for the whole year I can use the hosting for personal projects.

If we go with the new webhost, we will have a bit of down time due to the transfer of files. It will be easier this time round due to the same control panel being used on this server and the other webhost.

Icyhot has not transferred the domain to me yet so I'll have to get him to sort the DNS out.

I'll get the donations open a bit later to start the ball rolling.
    If we have enough, we can also pay quarterly or yearly which will make the total a little cheaper.

Mr.X² and ronrn like this.
  3. secpol

secpol Governor

How much does the whole site cost?

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

At the moment it will be only hosting cost's ($43.25)
    Once I have access to the xenforo website as a customer, there will be the software and add-on updates. It's those cost's I'm unsure of at the moment. There will be the yearly cost of the domain but I'll cover that myself. I may cover most of the add-on updates as well.

If there is enough donations later on, then we could pay the hosting bill quarterly ($131.50) or even yearly ($510.00). There is a coupon code I can use which can give us a slight discount on those prices. The discount is for life even if we upgrade at a later date.

5. secpol

secpol Governor

Why there is no advertising on the site? This is the only CXL community site! Face palm:notworthy:

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have plans for normal advertising and possibly trying to get game company's interested in advertising on here too.
    My priority is making sure XLN is running 100% before setting extra things up.

7. secpol

secpol Governor

You never thought that in the center of Europe there is a dictatorship, and there people live, who are arrested for expressing their opinions, Europe, fuck when it is not profitable for us, we will also be! Thanks!

8. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Hello,

Is there any other solution than paypal to donate to the site?
    How can I donate if I do not have a paypal account?

Thank you for your answers,

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

You don't need to have a PayPal account to pay. You should be able to choose credit or debit card as an option.

Drazicdesign likes this.
  10. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Oh yes, it's really simple with a bank card!
    I thought I had to make a bank transfer to a paypal account .....

with the bank card it's much simpler,

There it's done! Long live XL NATION!

skullz613 likes this.
  11. secpol

secpol Governor

Переоформлю банковскую карточку и если колхоз даст деньги перевести, то переведу деньги из болота)))) Из жопы мира:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. secpol

secpol Governor

А почему господа из благополучных стран Европейского союза не переведут денег на любимую игру?

13. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Drazic :) Least now theres a few months we are covered. That's less worrying I have to do :D

14. Knifesnatcher

Knifesnatcher Vagabond

Hi Skullz,

I don't know if you got my e-mail but maybe this might help you out some.

I currently run my own VPS server which has plenty of space and ram and oh unmetered bandwidth with everything all setup.

Server Specs
    CPU: 10 Core
    RAM: 10 GB / 10 Swap
    HDD: 600 GB
    cPanel

It currently holds 7 websites which have low usage to the server, the server is completely paid up until the end of the year but of course I make sure that gets paid regardless. So basically what I'm getting at, if you and the community feel that you have out grown your current host and don't have the funding to get the VPS then I'd be happy to help.

I too use this site to get some great addons for Cities XXL and wouldn't want to see it get taken down at any time.

But this is up to you all and I don't want to interfere with anything.

Anyways,

Take it easy

Andy/KnifeSnatcher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.