1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Everything About Cities: Skylines - Paradox Greets You!

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by TotalyMoo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Greygor

Greygor Vagabond

It is a little strange following the forum there, it's jam packed with suggestions of what should be in the game and how it should work. And nobodies played it yet.

oh well, that's the way things are I suppose :)

2. Trolca

Trolca Executive

A night mode would be nice for city journals.

The Funky Monk likes this.
  3. Thrangar

Thrangar Skilled Worker

Well it seems the suggestions died out, maybe to late now.

I don't think it will ( for me replace CXL) the moding tool depending on how easy vrs how powerfull is the main interest for me.

I saw it mentioned that pollution flows down river, is this determined by elevation or is it a preamp determination?

also is there multly lvl water and or elevation tools after a map is started?

4. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I have been doing a whole lot of reading and I think I might know the answer to your questions.
    1. There will be official modding tools at release.
    2. The river flows downhill.
    3. There is no "Mayor Mode Terraforming" but there is a map editor to make maps before you play them. One could easily make a map with a couple rivers, a lot of flat land perfect for agriculture, plenty of trees for forrestry, and even a ton of ore and oil deposits. I know I will make a mostly flat map (except for the rivers, coast, and a mountain for me to put a man-made sewage waterfall (that flows into the ocean and not into an existing river because I will make a little valley/depression for the sewage to flow down) where the flat land will be mostly farmland, with some vast forests farther away from the rivers, and maybe some oil near the coast and ore near the mountain.

Hope I helped!

--Ocram

5. Rene

Rene Executive

TotalyMoo,

We've seen some pictures of the graphics in Cities Skylines that are perhaps could I say not merely 'adequate'. Is the content at this stage very alpha the taller buildings?

We would love the graphics to be somewhere between CXL and SC5 :)

6. TotalyMoo

TotalyMoo Paradox Community Manager

Rene, the current graphics (check the latest trailer) are what you will see at release :)

kipate and The Funky Monk like this.
  7. Rene

Rene Executive

oh yes the trailers do look good :)

8. Geneo

Geneo Vagabond

I've got XXL, and preordered CSL. To me, they're different games, going in two different directions to get the same end result.
    There's room on my HD for both games.

themp3dj, The Funky Monk and kipate like this.
  9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

To me the graphic seem a lot basic for towers and buildings? why was this? limit in game engine performance etc maybe? To me all the buildings looked washed out blueish color? are there any detailed diffuse maps, what other models maps are supported? reflection, lightmap, bump etc???

screen01.jpg

10. Smitt3k

Smitt3k Unskilled Worker

I am impressed with what I see in CSL. I do admit that I prefer to place every building individually like in CXL, but CSL still looks like it will be a good game. Perhaps modding could give us an individual placement mode?

11. x3joe

x3joe Skilled Worker

will there be left hand traffic or has it never been considered in the game

12. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty sure you can choose left or right.

13. x3joe

x3joe Skilled Worker

it was always right hand traffic in CiM 2

14. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Never played it. I'm sure I saw somewhere that said you can chose.

15. Kongbert

Kongbert Vagabond

Hey there! I wonder if there will be parks and plazas to fill the gap between streets and buildings? As far as I've seen, close to each other placed buildings form a concrete/pavement automatically, but I haven't seen a (f.ex.) triangular plaza or a big square in between loosely placed buildings so far...

Am I probably forced to layout a park via the built-in modding-tool to fit the one special gap, i want it for?

16. sapientia

sapientia Vagabond

Is there 'recently used tools' panel? It'll reduce the time to build especially when user mods flow over.

17. andreharv

andreharv Vagabond

Totaly<oo, I am so glad that you have been able to answer so many questions about the game. I have not seen this much feedback in a single forum for a single city building game. Rather impressive indeed.

Just a few questions and if they had been answered before, you can simply quote the answers...

1. Is there any way to mod the game and use the entire map (buildable and non-buildable area)? or is the buildable area built into the base of the code? I will buy a new computer if I have to but I just LOVE vast map sizes.

2. What are the functions of airports and do/how do they interact with other cities.

3. Same question as 2 but with road connections. Will outgoing traffic in one city translate to incoming traffic in another?

Thanks!

18. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I don't work for any video game companies but I keep track of all the information I can get regarding C:S, including reddit, YouTube, and Twitch so I should be able to answer your questions reliably.
    1. It is possible to unlock the entire 25 playable tiles but the outside part cannot be played on.
    2. Airports bring in tourists. That seems to be all they do. Different cities (save-games) do not seem aware of each-other.
    3. No, ingoing and outgoing traffic at the edge of the city/region is only for tourists and freight as far as I know.

Hopefully helpful,

--Ocram

19. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Rene and themp3dj like this.
  20. Rene

Rene Executive

Congrats Paradox and CO.