1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi Friends!

Discussion in 'Presentations' started by Lillysky, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lillysky

Lillysky Unskilled Worker

Heyo c: my name is Melody, I'm super into city building games and I'm not new whatsoever to the Cities XL series but it's definitely one of my favorites <3 I joined mostly because I love this series and, forums are rad. I'm a programmer but, I haven't touched modding for the game really, mostly because my 3D modelling skills are, close to none. I can program decently, but I cant mesh or animate lol. But yeah, yay intro threads! :D

selodinger and Drazicdesign like this.
  2. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

I welcome you here! :dm9a:

Happy to know that you like city builder
    And I'm also happy to know that you know programmed,

Maybe you can help us improve the game "Cities X (X) L"

If you want it, I have full ideas for you ....
    :dmc6:

Lillysky likes this.
  3. Lillysky

Go for it! I think the 'driving mode' idea posted here is a pretty neat idea but, I'm just now about to unpack the game and start digging through what code can be edited and whatnot, and that seems a little out there for me to be doing as a first project for this game lol. But I'm totally up for suggestions!!

Drazicdesign likes this.
  4. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Yes indeed it could be an interesting addition!
    If you are able to realize this, then you can do enormous things! Woww!

For my part can you watch this,
    Cities XXL has a map editor,
    In this map editor we have the possibility of using a brush-type tool, to plant trees (this tool is described hereafter

Think you can integrate this tool, or an equivalent tool directly into the game?

You may be able to use the code used in the map editor, and rework it in order to integrate it into the Cities XXL game?

What do you think?

The following is a tutorial showing the use of the brush tool to plant trees, in the map editor for Cities XXL
    Full tutorial here,
    Steam Community :: Guide :: [OFFICIAL] Map Editor Guide

" Creating new maps - Forest
    This editor allows you to populate your levels with forests made of different trees or bushes species.
    [​IMG]

The editor comes with a sigle edition panel :
    [​IMG]

Forests are limited to four tree or/and bushes species which are mixed together.

In order to select trees or bushes you will have to drag and drop .png files from the “<InstallDir>\Data\Gfx\Trees\Forest” directory onto the “current Trees” list.

Note: you can search for *.png files in the root directory to obtain a tree gallery that will ease tree selection:
    [​IMG]

Once a tree or bush is added it will appear in the list with an instance counter.
    [​IMG]

Note: each line in the list (or tree/bush type) is limited to 10000 instances. Thus the total tree amount cannot exceed 40 000 instances.

Creating forests
    Here is an example with four different trees:
    [​IMG]

If you click on the forest brush button [​IMG] you will see a dynamic preview of the trees placement on the ground:
    [​IMG]

You can notice that each tree specie has a dedicated colored box. At any time you can disable the placement of a specific tree by unchecking it in the current trees list:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can notice that now there are no more dark blue cubes and the TulipPoplar won’t be spawned on the terrain.

Here is the result if you leave only one active tree type:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you’re happy with the tree placement, simply click on the left mouse button to plant the trees:
    [​IMG]

When trees are added to the level, the respective counters are updated to let you know the new tree counts:
    [​IMG]

Note: the forest brush system is fully dynamic and takes into account a lot of parameters like slope, water level, density. Thus if you try to brush trees on the same location, the brush will automatically discard trees to avoid overlaps according to your density parameters:
    [​IMG]

To remove trees from the landscape, simply use the right mouse button.

Important: please note that for tree deletion the brush uses only the size value. This means that you cannot lower density by deleting trees (you have to use the density slider when planting them):
    [​IMG]

Here are the available parameters when planting trees using the forest brush:
    [​IMG]

Softness: defines how trees are dispatched on the brush boundaries.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Size: size of the brush (minimum size means 1 tree)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Density: tree density (be aware that huge densities may have a performance inpact both in the editor and in-game).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slope: defines the behaviour of trees on steep slopes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Height Min/Max: defines random values for trees size. Those values are defined in poucentage of initial height.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replanting trees
    If you modify the terrain elevations you will have to update the tree positions according to the new values.

You can use the [​IMG] button for this purpose.

Note: the replant tree button does not take water into account so you must be careful about this and finalise your water level before creating forests. "

kipate and Lillysky like this.
  5. Lillysky

Oh my! That's a really indepth explanation! Sounds like a TON of UI work. So, to handle the amount of trees, what would you think about also adding a UI menu that gives you a count of the number of trees on your map? As well as possibly other statistics, maybe the count of each individual tree?

While it might be possible to do this with each individual tree button, as in the ability to bring up a menu for a brush tool after you click on a button for individual tree placement, I think it may be a better idea to have a separate menu to allow you to pick from the entire list of trees installed, that way you dont have to worry about compatibility and whatnot, right?

Anyways, I'll take a look! Currently I don't actually own CXXL, only CXL2012, but if I can scrap something together for CXL, I'll see about buying CXXL on like g2a and trying to port it over :) Thank you again for all that!!

kipate and Drazicdesign like this.
  6. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey, welcome to XLNation!

Yeah, there is a counter for the amount of trees. The number on the right is the total number of each type of tree.
    [​IMG]

Drazicdesign and Lillysky like this.
  7. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

@Lillysky

To answer your question :
    Yes I also think it better to have a drop down menu to choose the tree you want to plant.

Thank you,

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Welcome on board! You seem to have read most of the descriptions for the most important mods on here, and hence you seem to have quite a good knowledge about the game's functionality, at least for a beginner. I do appreciate this a lot (y)

And don't hesitate to ask questions, we are nice people and won't chop your head off... well, at least most of the people here, there is just this one guy whose avatar is a huge crow attacking a knight, he can sometimes be a bit, well, let's say passionate...

Lillysky likes this.