1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Inn

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by Project_Oz, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Inan

Inan Governor

WOOOOW!!! This is the best custommade natural object ever presented here on XLN. Very creative and very hard work, but it pays off! Totally awesome. I am interested, how you get the black color of the volcanic crater and what plaza mod you used for the lava? It motivates me to create Meta Nova as an island volcano... Please let us know the final result! (y)(y)(y)

2. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Thank you very much for your words, it means a lot to me. Unfortunately, the volcano is not perfect, it has a lot of flaws, but better than this, I couldn't do it. Maybe you will find another solution and tell me too.

Regarding your questions.
    1. the picture is edited in photos. (I enhance the photo, I give more color, I changed the clarity and made it darker to highlight the lava)
    Here is the original picture.
    cxl_screenshot_inn_89.jpg

2. For the black plaza I used the plaza from this mod (I think)
    Ploppables - original filles of The Airport Taxiway Components by joues

(I used a little black from here as well
    Plazas - Various Plazas Pack)

I recommend you to experiment with it because it is very difficult to work with it. You cannot control the shape and height. The form is always flat, but sometimes it is built at street/plaza level, other times it is built at the base of the road/plaza. That's why I recommend you to build from top to bottom and start with this plaza the first time.

3. For the lava - it is a combination of 2 out of 3 sand from this mod.
    Plazas - 3 Sand Plazas

The first time I drew several lines with 1m/2m/3m pedestrian path, after that I filled the remaining space with the red sand, then I erased the pedestrian path and fill the remaining places with the yellow sand.
    Be careful, I had the same problems as with the black plaza, but besides that, I had to work on small portions, because on a large surface, my game crash. Here is a close-up picture to see what shapes I got. (from far away it is not noticeable but up close it looks ugly).
    cxl_screenshot_inn_86.jpg

:facepalm:I already cleared the flying stones. Now I noticed.

4. The dots in the lava and the black lines in the waterfall are rocks from this mod.
    Ploppables - Megaliths

After you build them, they are gray, but you can upgrade them and choose the black color.

I hope you succeed in what you want and if you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them.

P.S.
    Save the game before you start. I didn't manage to restore the land and I returned to the initial save after a week.

kipate likes this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

As Inan wrote already, it's a magnificent work! Make sure you have enough backups! :D Also, I wonder now if it makes sense to have a city near an active volcano :think:

4. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I knew you would ask this question, so I prepared myself. :p

First I need a short introduction.
    When I built Dara (the other city that I started but I can no longer load it) I started from the idea that a spaceship tried to pass through a wormhole to a known planet but it was an accident and they arrived in an unknown part of the galaxy near a habitable planet to their luck. But unfortunately the AI that controlled the ship changed its directives from ensuring the safety of the passengers and colonizing the planet to making profit. So he changed his name to Don Madoff, renamed the ship Omnicorp and evacuated the crew to several parts of the new planet. After hundreds of years, Don Madoff saw that people had developed a lot and felt threatened, so he destroyed several cities, including Dara.

Now the answer to your question.
    Survivors from these cities took refuge in the current city of Inn. In the beginning, the town was small and the volcano was inactive. In time the population has grown the volcano was surrounded by a road and visited by many people (I drew in the bottom picture with a green line the place where the road was). The first signs that the volcano became active appeared 10 years ago, but the residents did not want to leave the city, so efforts were made to weaken this part of the volcano because it was not in the direction of the city and huge embankment were built to channel the lava (the yellow circles. I still have to build a in the right site an embankment)
    When the volcano erupted, the lava destroyed the road. That's why there are pieces of road and bridge nearby (I circled them in red. I wanted to create some derelict and partially destroyed houses, but I haven't found a solution yet).
    cxl_screenshot_inn_88.jpg

I passed the test?:sneaky:

Thank you both for your comment and for these questions that make you think about what you are building from several points of view and makes you build as perfectly as possible.

kipate likes this.
  5. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

@kipate
    Hey. I tried to use the smoke in two ways, but unfortunately nothing can be seen from a distance. Where does the lava flow, as you said, I didn't put it because the lava flows through a rocky valley and I said that it has nothing to emit smoke there.

The first version: A part of the forest caught fire after the pyroclastic flow passed and after the fire was extinguished, the forest is smoking.
    cxl_screenshot_inn_95 (2).jpg
    The second option: the volcano releases toxic and hot gases. the snow has melted and there are fewer trees. I still have to build some dead trees.
    cxl_screenshot_inn_96 (2).jpg

The picture from distance. I also tried to make a Geyser, but it is very difficult to recreate. I'm not satisfied cxl_screenshot_inn_94 (2).jpg

Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  6. kipate

kipate Governor

Wow, those are impeccable recreations! You have really thought it through! :xllove:

I think you're right, it's hard to create a geysir as impressive as in Yellowstone, or in Iceland. But not all of the geysirs are like that^^

7. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

My first serpentine.:xllove: cxl_screenshot_inn_116 (2).jpg

cxl_screenshot_inn_118 (2).jpg

Inan, Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  8. kipate

kipate Governor

Perfect work on the serpentines! That's the spirit (y)

And that waterfall looks overly realistic! I love that you really recreated a rather wild water flow, and not just something artificial! Keep it up :xllove:

Project_Oz likes this.
  9. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I finally finished the dam. I still have the part of the volcano that is directed towards the city. At the moment I don't know what to build there so I will leave it unfinished. I will build the farm area and the port and then maybe I will have an idea what to build there.

cxl_screenshot_inn_113 (2).jpg cxl_screenshot_inn_124 (2).jpg cxl_screenshot_inn_123 (2).jpg

Drazicdesign, Kitsunebi and Inan like this.
  10. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Oh my goodness that dam looks "damn" fantastic!!! :love:(y):xllove:

kipate and Project_Oz like this.
  11. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I just realized that I can no longer build a railway line to the port. cxl_screenshot_inn_106.jpg

My country farm
    cxl_screenshot_inn_103.jpg

kipate likes this.
  12. kipate

kipate Governor

Lovely :xllove: Really well crafted work!

13. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Thank you but it annoys me because I really liked how you built the harbor in Nicaumenee and I wanted to do something similar only that I wanted to add a railway that would come from the mountain. Unfortunately i was hooked building the rice fields that i forget about the railway and now I'm afraid to destroy the area because I don't think I can restore it.

kipate likes this.
  14. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Hey Cities XL can i change this path with plaza? cxl_screenshot_inn_127.jpg

Yes you can..... but just for fun can you solve the problem with the bridge?
    Whaaaaaaat?

cxl_screenshot_inn_128.jpg

I think this game just hate us.
    Does anyone know why this is happening?

Drazicdesign likes this.
  15. kipate

kipate Governor

I think that it is the game engine. Think about the in-game bridges. The concept is that they start on land (where you don't need a bridge part), and then slowly go over water ("slowly" in the sense that they have to be long enough). If the bridge is shorter, then the land part may not be needed. When you erases the path connection, the bridge was redesigned by the engine.

It's a challenge to overcome :D

By the way: awesome canal! Really great work on the curvature, must have taken some time to plan accordingly (y)

16. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Thanks for the answer, at least I calmed down a bit. I still don't understand because I built the bridge first and then connected the pedestrian pathway.

Thanks but on the contrary, now I improvise. The canal was planned to flow into the port from the above picture and besides that I can't go down with the land so I built the two road lane and then on one side and the other I built a 1m slightly elevated pathway and then another row of 1m path way at road level. From there it was quick, I filled in the green plaza between the pedestrian pathway and replaced the road with a water plaza. I don't like the color for the water but the canal comes from the dam and I don't know why I used this color for the waterfall and now I don't want to change it because it will take to long.

17. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh... As you are playing XL, you could use the pipes to create the effect of a underground canal that flows right into your current canal with the wrong color. And then maybe you could say that the color from there onwards has to be different :think: or you could create a transition between the two water colors :)

18. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

@kipate what do you think about this railway? Is it acceptable? Do you know someone who built a small train station? I haven't really used this mod and I need inspiration. Thanks.

cxl_screenshot_inn_135.jpg

cxl_screenshot_inn_133.jpg

It is a bit to late. look how the transition from the waterfall to the canal looks like. But I will more than likely use your idea elsewhere.
    cxl_screenshot_inn_132.jpg

Attached Files:

Inan and kipate like this.
  19. kipate

kipate Governor

Yeah, I totally get your doubts concerning a change of the canal and its current flow. I would do the same and stick with the status quo. A really great status quo, just by the way :)

About the railways: You can ask @Kitsunebi, he has become an expert with that mod :) Maybe one thought: Your station look quite modern. Maybe you can change some buildings close by? I was thinking of a modern city complex that some famous architects designed :)

Project_Oz likes this.
  20. Inan

Inan Governor

I can not say how much i am impressed by your work. After all those years i have not yet seen that level of modelling the nature with that game. Cant wait for the cj (y)