1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Of The Month Medal Suggestion

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by pauliaxz, Jan 5, 2015.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually we could use both, the larger one can have the number + mod of the month since it will be used on the forum to announce a winner. We would then need a smaller 50x50 version (png please) without the words for display under the users avatar (postbox).

Make sure the 50x50 versions have a transparent background, that is really important in case I ever change theme or site colors

2. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Okay here are .png files:

512x512:

golden medal2.png
    silver_medal4.png
    bronze medal_4.png

And 50x50:

gold_50X50.png silver_50X50.png bronze_50X50.png

If those 512x512 need to be rescaled to 128x128 or 256x256 or else, tell me

3. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Like what Kipate said, I want to suggest that when you hover the medals, it will display the
    specific month of the Mod of the Month.

4. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

Its a shame they cannot be displayed on the XLEX entry top line banner for each entry that receives a medal. So that if you are browsing the XLEX the ones with medals stand out from the crowd..

5. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Yeah, PJC, I talked about that with Icy. The custom code must be written for this, but Icy is not willing to do that because it will broke updates of site somehow.

6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is a great example: When the original XLNation was launched a piece of custom code was created called the XLEX. This vital piece of software was a primary part of XLNation. Well the guy that wrote the code vanished, this created a large problem. The core code of XLNation (Drupal) could no longer be updated since it would break the XLEX. After a few years of no updates the exposure to internet attacks finally resulted in the big mess we were in last summer

So here were are in 2015. The XLNation Forums, XLEX (Resources), and Media all run on XenFORO. I think we can agree the XLEX and Forums and pretty important. This is professional software with a yearly subscription with many updates through out the year to address security issues or bug fixes. There is also a major update v2.0 in development.

If we hire some one to customize the XLEX to support the display of medals this means I can no longer safely update XenFORO without first paying the guy we hired to again look at the code and customize as needed. The medals add-on is also a custom piece of software and that could be changed modified by that developer as well.

So in a nutshell:
    1. I am not a php/mysql programmer

2. Hiring a developer will cost money, this person would be needed to then support the coding changes as new updates to XenFORO or the medals add-on are released, costing even more money. This person would need to be reliable and available for the next 5 years or so.

3. My hands would be tied regarding updating XenFORO when security, update, or bug fixes are released

Basically I am unwilling to compromise my ability to rapidly update the XenFORO software (forums, Resources, and Media). These are core pieces of XLNation.

7. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

It seems the only option left is this. Because i hope it's very possible to add new tags:

onlychoice.png

onlychoice2.png

8. Rene

Rene Executive

let's have this system, it was nice back in the day.

9. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

that method sounds reasonable to me

10. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

But impossible