1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Next competition (start end of 2015- beginning 2016) Proposal Island-Archipelago map

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by Dreian, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inan

Inan Governor

...indeed is a very nice map. But i agree a brand new map is needed. I'm sure one of our map creators will do us that favour, if we look like this just long enough::b32:

The Funky Monk and skullz613 like this.
  2. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I think our map should be easy to fill, so maybe use mountains or water to make the area smaller, and it should have a lot of possibilities. It should have enough space for a (small) harbor and airport, and one should have the choice to build a French city or a Russian city, for example. The first map is perfect in my opinion.

3. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I don't like the idea of limiting the size of a map to provide less working area.
    In this aspect i am not sure i like the idea of an island map for the competition.

A competition is a competition. And a city building competition should give some realistic time-frame to those wanting to participate, but at the same time it should allow space for players that know how to prioritise and perhaps focus on other things than details.

The concept of a "finished city" is not something i really like anyway. . . what is a finished city? one that is decorated? one that has lots of trees? furniture?

and by providing an archipelago map, with only concept in mind to provide limited buidling space what someone should expect? finished cities because of smaller space?

- City builders should be able to prioritise
    - a competition shuld not by default limit the creativity by providing smaller space to build
    - builders should not always target creating a big city, resulting to requesting more time.

I mean, ok. . . what if someone thinks of a concept in the 50k - 200k population? in real life terms. . .

In general i like the idea of a different map but i don't like the idea of providing a specific type of map to limit building area

So, if we now give an archipelago map what should be there for next time?

What we are trying to deal here is actually an artistic expression, called "horror vacui".

More here: Horror vacui - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Builders should be able to prioritise, manage available time, focus on what they consider important and at the end get judged about it.

We can suggets any kind of map we want. And an archipelago map is a nice idea. I just don't agree with the reasoning of the proposal :)

So, no issues with the map itself. It's just that people should manage to produce something good in any kind of map and in any amount of given time. Even if this is 6 hours.

4. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Btw, i find the two maps already provided, Bootleg and Gonaives super great choices. . .

Perhaps going for an islandic map now indeed, or an archipelago, or a good mix. . . definitely should be a new map though. . .

5. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

I would prefer snowy map more than island map

6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Now this made my day. Its nice to learn a new concept every so often. Thanks for the insights and a chance for me to learn something new

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.