1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. nicknick

nicknick Governor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------:drool:-----------------------------------------------------------------------

hahahahaha. . . nice one Solo!

2. nicknick

nicknick Governor

ouch! cookie fell on the other page. . . :b31:

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

just a reminder: get prepared for the contest and post your 10 submissions photos in Official Saint Martin Island Map Contest Submissions 2016
    dont miss closing date of the submission thread on 31. Oct. 2016, rather post unfinished stuff instead of nothing, you can still contact moderators to update or correct your post before deadline has been reached ;)

PS: im just curious for the unposted submissions :p

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

unfortunately I did not get the time to concentrate on this competition. I've had a lot of things happen over the last month and could not focus enough to even think of a layout. I did make a start and may go back to it at some point. It's not enough to submit though.
    Hopefully I can get my head into gear for the next competition.

kipate likes this.
  5. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

..there should be a countdown or something :D well it must be about 36 hours to go - probably enough time for me to get some pics finished :sneaky:

However: very nice entries so far! I guess this time I won't get a single batch :unsure: so I'll post at least for Mr.X² :D

6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Just a heads up, most likely wont get the official voting started until around 6pm PST on November 1

kipate likes this.
  7. kipate

kipate Governor

For me, 31 hours and 40 minutes left... Damn that will be tough.

selodinger and BahadirB like this.
  8. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

@kipate, you were the first one to upload the pictures. I don't know what happened later on, but I suppose the "tough" part is nothing but finding the perfect angle for the pictures to upload. :LOL:

@Clemech4, I like your Greek island very much. As kipate has already mentioned, especially third picture, with the chaotic architecture and planning, reminds me of the Turkish presence on the island. When the competition started, I had the idea of building a Greek island, with an acropolis and the tiny white Greek houses, but I did not. I hope there is a little tiny Greek restaurant in Apollonia serving ouzo with fresh fish :sneaky:

@nicknick, it is not me to say but I like your St. Catherine very much. To be honest, it is what I want to come up with but obviously couldn't. I do not mean to ruin the competitive streak here, but I would like to let you know that your island town is an inspiration for me.

kipate and selodinger like this.
  9. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Phew! Finally, I did post my contest city on the official submission, fellas. What a pressure it is :sick:.
    After the completing my contest city, now I can focus on my other city projects :)

Good luck to everyone on the contest!

veija2, kipate and BahadirB like this.
  10. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Thank you @BahadirB . I appreciate it. I like your castle and your ambiance.
    I think you have managed to stay faithful to the quidelines you have set and your approach to the competition is fresh, a clear look and i really like your castle a lot. I also like the scale of the whole thing and for me it's a very very very realistic approach to the competition. This could be a real place. Well done! (y)

St Catherine has this "real / unreal" twist my projects tend to have. . . "unreal that could be real" :) it's a different approach and part of a whole thing this competition tries to bring, besides its nature as a competition of course. The competition part is well. . . ok. . . but all the fun we have some months now and the voting. . . that's even more fun :) Once more we already see fantastic things, very different approaches to the same mattter and i am SO happy with what i see in the thread.

Waiting for the last 2 - 3 submissions i think we 'll see

:xllove:

BahadirB likes this.
  11. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

You are so right with the pressure and finally we can build whatever we want :D haha
    There are some really nice entries that I almost didn't want to join.. :p Good luck to everyone!

selodinger likes this.
  12. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

@BahadirB yes there is, the building in the back is supposed to be a restaurant ;) cxl_screenshot_decaios_170.jpg

Your city is nice, i especially like the medieval centre and the small modern district. Why not spending our vacation there (y)

@Kitsunebi I really like your city, very realistic, the best Indonesian town I've seen :)

nicknick, BahadirB and Kitsunebi like this.
  13. nicknick

nicknick Governor

@Kitsunebi : I :b38: the stepped farming areas you have depicted

:boww:

Kitsunebi likes this.
  14. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thank you as well. I am trying to improve my realism. And I appreciate that you like my scale and especially my castle, as it took some real deal of time. :sneaky:

Well, personally I am not yet ready or enthusiastic for bending the thin line between real and unreal. But from what I have seen in your city, I think I do get your point. When it comes to competition, I agree with you. I had fun struggling with my city to make it more realistic and more challenging, but seeing different pictures, different styles, different urban planning schemes all contributes is just amazing. :D

nicknick and kipate like this.
  15. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

One potential tourist for my city, yay @Clemech4 ! (y)

Thanks for your kind words, but I think I should step in the restaurant as a few glasses of ouzo would be very good after a workday! :LOL:

Clemech4 and nicknick like this.
  16. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Ouzooo

BahadirB likes this.
  17. kipate

kipate Governor

BahadirB likes this.
  18. nicknick

nicknick Governor

real... unreal... :) it's just a word game... we all try for the same thing... achieve realism through different means....

All our submissions are unreal at the end of the day and pixels on the screen :) its a great game:)

BahadirB likes this.
  19. nicknick

nicknick Governor

On my phone... Wanted to post some trivia for the rice fields of Kitsunebi...

Its a widespread way of cultivating mountains... Terrace farming... Incas... Greeks at the islands... Asia

You still see it for rice but it used to be a used farming way almost sll around the world... Kitsunebi's realization is a wonderful way to import this in the game.

BahadirB likes this.
  20. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

You guys are running out of time to submit for the contest, about 10 more hours

Mr.X² and RedZone19 like this.