1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Show off your cities

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by Alex24, Mar 13, 2015.

1. justyburger

justyburger Skilled Worker

I have a really high end PC, so the performance is fine. No lag at all. Cities do take a while to load though. I walk off and do something else while it loads.

2. justyburger

This is my most recent project. I'm attempting a very mixed use area. The huge highway interchange is a mod. The thin roads are actually paths because there are no thin traffic roads. Service vehicles still drive on those paths. The red houses are part of a Swedish residential pack and the rest of the houses are American styles. This is a very new start so lots to do yet. I will be adding details later such as more greenery. I want houses tightly packed together but it is hard with Skylines because you cannot merge them together like in Cities XL. This is why I cannot build a Tokyo suburban city. There are no tiny roads and no tiny houses like that. However I can build that with Cities XL and have done. 2015-08-30_00001.jpg

Big Meany Mean and Pamascus27 like this.
  3. justyburger

Here is a closer picture of a mixed use area. I think the realism is ok. 2015-08-30_00003.jpg

kipate likes this.
  4. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, @justyburger ! Thanks for that structured analysis regarding the advantages and disadvatages
    of CSL so far! I guess not having a filler tool as well as not being able to place 45 degrees roads can be really
    frustrating, heck, I would not be able to create nice looking main avenues...

I have to admit that the close-up shot looks quite realistic, despite some little things only the expert's eye finds!
    Did not expect this, to be honest! Btw, is it possible to have some kind of old town districts where the buildings don't upgrade themselves? Anyways, looking forward to see some Journal with more pictures and more context!

justyburger likes this.
  5. justyburger

It is possible to have some old town areas but nothing quite as versatile as the Latin Pack, German Pack and various buildings in the Jakarta Slum Pack. There are many old buildings but they are single placement structures. There are no residential sets. There are however, UK terraces, Dutch terraces, Finnish houses etc. These are able to be set as themes. This is my latest addition. I never planned this small downtown and instead just let it evolve a bit, but I think this is pretty realistic. For those who keep calling Skylines a cartoon, they really should take another look. A lot of the solution is really in the creativity with the available tools. 2015-08-30_00006.jpg

Big Meany Mean and kipate like this.
  6. justyburger

The new project using the "Vivid" colour correction. 2015-08-30_00009.jpg " colour correction.

Mr.X² likes this.
  7. Monty

Monty Governor

I know it's you :) I like your cities a lot, both CXL and CSL, they always look very real and they are never the same. Amazing work!

8. justyburger

Cheers Monty :) I thought you knew. You would pick my style easily. I have been thinking again about Cities XL. Last time I reloaded the game, I had some strange graphics problem with the whole screen flickering. It was a problem I had years back with 2009 but I think a patch solved it. To see it again was odd. Now that I have a new upgraded system, I should load up 2012 again. I am very much set with the Skylines way of doing things now, but I could spend time loading up all the Cities XL mods and start again. If only Skylines had the "No collision box" and totally placeable buildings of all types. I don't know whether that will ever come or not? I can see why many stay with Cities XL but with that said, Skylines has enough to keep me exploring and interested. Also the game does keep improving. It has come a long way in a short time.

9. justyburger

Good job Alex. I like your city. You should try out the great Colour Correction mods. My favourites are Realistic, Vivid and Clarity. They are in the Steam Workshop under the Colour Corrections tab.

Attached Files:

10. justyburger

Also just a small note about the frustration Cities XL players have with the growable buildings format of Skylines. You can now halt the growing at each of the 5 stages of development. So for instance, a quaint little home would develop from level 1 into a mansion at level 5. Early in the game this annoyed me, but now it is controllable. The way to tailor the city is to only choose the buildings you want in the Workshop, deny the use of others and control the themes and building heights. With all that done it is possible to create something fairly fixed and reliable, without it morphing out of shape into some sort of monster. That lack of control is what Cities XL players hate. I like to plop a building and know it will remain the same. However, there is a living organic element to the Sim City style of growing structures. It just has drawbacks.

11. Spock

Spock Executive

justyburger likes this.
  12. justyburger

A new project loosely based upon Osaka - Japan. Dense Japanese cities are hard even in Cities XL. In Skylines there are some interesting challenges surrounding selection of tile sizes for buildings and the development levels of buildings. In this city I am trying to control the appearance by limiting the height and sizes of many structures, manually. It's not turning out too badly but the thing missing is a thin traffic road. Till one comes along, the suburban roads look too wide. The second image below shows a close up of a suburban area. 2015-09-02_00007.jpg 2015-09-02_00008.jpg

kipate likes this.
  13. justyburger

My most recent work. 2015-09-17_00010.jpg

14. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Here is my CSL city I am currently building only in weekends (not every).
    WARNING! Post is picture heavy. Majority of pictures are inside spoilers. Pictures are 1920x1080 res.

zGuKMrV.jpg

dOstzNC.jpg

RHIeMTk.jpg
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Register or to view Spoiler content!

15. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

My cargo train station, screenshot is taken on low graphics (city building stage):

[​IMG]

BahadirB, Alex24, Mr.X² and 3 others like this.