1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Shreveport - American City Project - Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by kipate, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kurtis Edwards

KIpate, if you are building an American college town (if the college is important to the city, it is a college town) you have to build a stadium. I mean, you are free to do whatever, but there are hardly any college towns without stadiums in America.

As for the roundabouts, there are 13 in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area... Americans have um... sort of. hahaha. :)

My only suggestion would be to add more trees to the housing lots.(the suburbs will look bare) I know trees can be cumbersome and whatnot, but in-game lot plants ado not fill the greenery of an American city well enough. I find I always want to add trees to the 'backyards'. Just my opinion.

kipate and Abandon Ship like this.
  2. zopir

zopir Vagabond

Hello! I just wanted to share my opinion. I am also sorry for my bad English. If I have a grammatical mistake, please tell that.
    As the coal gets worthless, job opportunities start to decrease. Also coal is almost finished in these mines, so companies start to shut themselves or just move to another part. Then, workers need to get a job so they leave the town gradually. The population decreases slowly. Schools, hospitals, fire and police stations start to shut down also. However, town is still an important port in this region, so its economy isn't that bad.
    -Years later-
    The population slowly decreases and a lot of people have moved to another town. But in these years, water/oil/farming (due to the region's characteristics) becomes a big problem in the world. Explorers find
    some water/oil/good dirt to farm in the city. Also, a very big city's suburbs start to approach to the town. A lot of workers come to there to work, and also, people who moves to the big city starts to move here. A lot of hospitals, police and fire stations and schools open their doors. New stadiums, universities, a big port, libraries, groceries, gyms, food courts are built in this time. Town becomes a liveable place after this, and residents are happy. Town starts to grow and turn into a city. This city becomes one of the most important suburbs of this town. Gradually, it even starts to turn into a big city and starts to fall apart from that city.

I hope it's nice :D

Abandon Ship likes this.
  3. Abandon Ship

Abandon Ship Skilled Worker

@kipate I really like the city, so far. Even though I specialize in American cities, yours is better than mine.

@zopir I like that backstory. It is realistic and interesting.

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, folks, thanks for your precious advice and feedback :)

MediaFire

Click on that link ;)

Okay, so let's call it a college town :rolleyes: :p I looked up some colleges in Pennsylvania, and yeah, a football stadium seems to be crucial. I placed one nearby :)

When I read that you have like 15 roundabouts in Washtenaw County, I thought that was a lot, but then I realized that the county's size is about 2,000 square kilometers. But 5 new are coming, so statistically, you will have like one roundabout for every 100 sq km.

Trees will be added later ;) Have a look at the image in the post below the one with the university :)

Hive mind!
    Aynı düşünüyorum
    :p

@Abandon Ship thanks for that, but I am sure you will get better quickly :)

Abandon Ship likes this.
  5. Kurtis Edwards

Kipate, you don't have to exactly build your stadium in the college. UNO (Omaha) where I went and Ann Arbor/UM's stadium (which I guess is one of the largest) isn't inside their college campuses. W/the growth project you have made with this city, I wouldn't put the stadium in the college. The college will eventually have a large impact on the city, so at the start, they wouldn't have a stadium as they are expensive as F to build. Most college that started off with the city and grew to importance don't have the room for a stadium around them as they are generally built in the bracket right below dense urbran.. the neighborhoods surrounding dense urban but not yet track-home suburbs. You not having room in your build is exactly the history you want (at least in my opinion) as it does mimic American history.. which I think you are trying to do, no? So... to me you are building it really spot on!

Abandon Ship likes this.
  6. kipate

kipate Governor

@Kurtis Edwards, you don't need to refrain from using the F-word, for fuck's sake :p

You are right, though, it will look a bit unrealistic if I put a football field there, a bit waste of precious space in the dense core. I will put it a bit aside of the midtown (which will be north to the old town :confused: :p ).

I just hope I will find the patience to build all the boring suburbs. And I really hope for a no-catenary version of @Pepino's railtrack mod. Sorry, Pep, I could not resist :p I just want to build one of these classic US railyards :D

@OmniBLACK, @Tim Scritchfield, here is the correct link:
    XLN_FFBaseballFieldv04.patch

7. Tim Scritchfield

Tim Scritchfield Skilled Worker

8. OmniBLACK

OmniBLACK Elite

Thank you Kipate been looking for something like these for a while