1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildii`s Projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by wildii, Nov 8, 2014.

1. wildii

wildii Governor

Hi,
    I started working on some southwestern US style (w2w) buildings. I try to build them in line with aitortilla`s latin american pack, concercing size, textures and so on. Here`s a first sneak peek...

PicJazz.jpg

2. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Wow that looks nice for a beginner (y)

3. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

The game could use more low rises, and more small shops like this. I look forward to seeing more! :)

4. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

looks good. is it your own?

5. wildii

wildii Governor

Thanks!
    @nicko2u: Yes, I created it myself from scratch.

6. wildii

wildii Governor

So, first lod fully textured and tested:
    gamescreen0024.jpg gamescreen0025.jpg gamescreen0026.jpg

carlos3dwards, Miguel, veija2 and 5 others like this.
  7. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

that is nice...
    are they one building?

8. metrocity345

metrocity345 Elite

Are you going to make more of these buildings? We need more of those.

9. wildii

wildii Governor

No, they are partly buildings from the "Latin American Pack" and just for comparison reasons.
    I intend it, yes ;) But, the first one isn`t finished yet and I have to learn a lot when it comes to modding, so it may take some time and help

10. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I'm excited to see the finished product. They look very realistic.

11. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

That is very nicely made! I am working on something similar to this, so it's good to know there will be more of these buildings.
    Good luck with rest of the project!

12. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

Looking very good mate.

13. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Wow they look pretty realistic, and they really co-exist with the latin pack! Awesome:)

14. cityguru

cityguru Unskilled Worker

Looks really great! Do you can share the nightlights also? Looks awesome and really look like those houses in Curaçao (Dutch Colony) http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/c5/a4/f9/willemstad.jpg , exept your building has a flat roof instead of a traditional roof. I really need this! When you gonna share them? Looks wonderfull between some slums wich Cities XL don't have a lot. ;-)

15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

hehe me to. started a sim but different building a while back, will revisit it I think.

16. wildii

wildii Governor

Good to hear that other people are working on similar buildings! They are needed! :)
    So, the model was much to heavy in the first try. It consisted of over 1500 triangles, which is a bit much for a (20x40) T1 building and it was almost impossible for me to get it down to 500 tris in the second lod, without making it look too ugly. I made it much lighter, removed some windows here and there, deleted air conditioners and so on (especially on the back and w2w-side). Now it follows the triangle count very well: L1 (1104), L2 (549), L3 (234), L4 (54).
    It`s almost ready now, I also added specular and reflection maps to the model, but still have to texture the L4. Two questions I am having:
    1. In the CXL modding wiki it says, that for a T1 building I need to reduce the size f.e. of the illumination map to 128x128, that seems very small to me. I created all maps in the same size of 512x512 (except the L4, I will do those maps in 256x256). Is that ok?
    2. How do I add specific "actors/persons" or trees? I know, that I can change the layout-file and give the position of the furniture there, but how do I know the code for the specific furniture I want to add?

17. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Don't worry about the LOD4 texture being only 128x128, it will look just fine. When I was making a warehouse building that is 120x180 meters I made the LOD4 textures only 256x256px and it looks good (even though the technic doc says it should be 512x512 for T4 buildings). I don't know the answer to your 2nd question.

That triangle count seems a bit high for such a 'simple' model. Could you post a pic from 3DMax with edged faces turned on?

18. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

19. Miguel

Miguel Governor

They look very nice already. I'm lookibg forward for these buildings.

20. wildii

wildii Governor

Thanks for your answers.
    I didn`t mean the L4 maps: In the "modding wiki" it says, that a T1 model needs (for the L1!) a 512x512 diff-map, a 256x256 normal-map, a 128x128 illumination-map, and so on. My question is: Is it ok to use the same size of 512x512 for all maps for L1-L3 (the L4 maps will be smaller of course)?
    I don`t understand the "layout file creator": I add a dummy to my model and the script still gives me an error: "Scene must have CXL Plug Dummy to create layout file, script will now close."

@gbojanic: I took half the T1 triangle count, as it is a 20x40 model. Do you think it`s still to heavy? Here is the screen: Edged Faces.jpg