1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildii`s Projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by wildii, Nov 8, 2014.

1. brendonwright1989

Ooh! I'm seeing 20x40 & and T1, so I'm instantly excited about this project & can't wait to see what it is.

2. wildii

wildii Governor

Well, I tried myself on some Norwegian and German Architecture. But as it turns out, I am really hooked on creating US-mods. So I am going for some Los Angeles buildings right now. I did some research on GM and choose a bunch of buildings which represent the average architecture of LA - including housing, warehouses, retail and so on. I try to mod them close to the real stuff - with some artistic freedom ;) There is not much to show right now, because I just started working on the mods itself. Most of the work up til now was research. But here are some screenshots from the most recent sketchup-models.

California Dreaming... ;)

LA Skezchup.jpg

LA Skezchup - 1.jpg
    LA Skezchup - 2.jpg
    LA Skezchup - 3.jpg

LA Skezchup - 4.jpg

3. brendonwright1989

OOOOO MMMMMM GGGGG!! Yes. I love these! Literally nearly everything in my city comprises of your work, I'm an Aussie & these represent the closest to typical suburban style houses here also. Are you going to do some two-level houses in this style for some variation in height? Love the commercial buildings too, they are fantastic. SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER EXCITED! :)

wildii and skullz613 like this.
  4. brendonwright1989

How are you travelling with these bad boys? Any chance of anything new becoming available before XLNation closes down for that 2 week changeover period? :D

5. wildii

wildii Governor

I didn`t mod for a while. But now I am back on it :) What I got so far: Five residential buildings for unskilled workers - textured, but LODs are still missing. These mods are much closer to reality then my last residential buildings. All of them are inspired by housing in the city of Compton in the Los Angeles County. I modified the fencing though for easier modding. Furthermore they are larger and more detailed then my last pack. PS: To create the roofing of the second building on the left was a real challenge :D

Modding1.jpg

And I promise: There will be some height-variation in buildings this time as well as housing for executive workers :)

Last but not least: How do I add custom furnitures to the Layout-file-creator? How many LODs do they need? Is there a tutorial available?

Drazicdesign, axel, MuxLee and 4 others like this.
  6. brendonwright1989

These look fantastic! I'm so keen for all of these plus the ones I cannot see based on your description lol. I dont' know anything about the custom furniture of LOD I'm so sorry, not sure who to ask either.

But I will wait as an eager fan :ROFLMAO:

wildii likes this.
  7. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Ask about custom furniture @MrX2

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

nice work (y)
    unfortunately there is no tutorial available, but its not difficult for someone who can do building mods :)
    its basically the same; just create a model with 2 or 4 lods (depends on their complexity) regarding naming and tech specifications mentioned in Tutorial - Cities XL Complete Technical Guide (page 33, two informations are wrong: one map slot and the shader).
    Only thing different is actually the shader: use furniture or furniture_transparent (semi-transparency wont work in xxl, it will be displayed completely transparent). also note that furniture does not support a lightmap/ambientocclusionmap
    export is as usual and place the sgbin in \data\gfx\furnitures
    now create your class files in \data\design\decoration\furniture and name it f_xxxxx.class
    u can use this as template or one from your unpacked cxl:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<Entity>
        <Type>EDITORELEMENT</Type>
    </Entity>
    <Display>
        <Model>Data/Gfx/Editor/dummy.sgbin</Model>
        <Placeholder>Data/Gfx/Placeholder/Building40.mesh</Placeholder>
    </Display>
    <Placement>
        <Type>EDITORELEMENT</Type>
    </Placement>
    <LayoutEntry>
        <ID>Furniture</ID>
        <Type>FURNITURE</Type>

<Positioning>
                <OrientationType>ADJUST_HORIZONTAL</OrientationType>
        </Positioning>

<Furniture>
            <PresenceProbability>1</PresenceProbability>
        <!--<Visibility>FAR</Visibility>-->
            <ResourceFile>data/gfx/furnitures/f_glassdome.sgbin</ResourceFile>
        </Furniture>
    </LayoutEntry>
    now go to your layout file (you created with layoutfilegenerator or made it by hand; doesnt matter) and add an entry:
    layout.JPG
    (the last 3 entries are custom furniture; no big difference to the others)

PS: to make positioning easy i suggest to build the furniture piece in your duplicated building-scene. then just delete the building. then set the pivot of your furniture to 0,0,0, reset xform and export it.

wildii likes this.
  9. wildii

wildii Governor

Thanks Mr.X², I`ll try it soon ;) I need a simple metal chimney and some additional air conditioners. Should I make the air conditioners visible over all LODs? They are the decoration on the roofs of my buildings.

brendonwright1989 likes this.
  10. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

depends on their size ;) if its a huge thing yes, if its a small one no
    btw there are different air conditioners available in furniture pack :)

kipate likes this.
  11. wildii

wildii Governor

The pack is slowly growing. Here is a screen of a two-story building and of its RL-inspiration.
    House7.jpg

Vetleep, Immort_al, MuxLee and 7 others like this.
  12. wildii

wildii Governor

Just put the first mod in game for testing. I am satisfied :) But still a looong way to go...

gamescreen0006.jpg
    gamescreen0008.jpg gamescreen0009.jpg

13. wildii

wildii Governor

Welcome to the suburbs of "La La Land" :)

gamescreen0011.jpg
    gamescreen0012.jpg gamescreen0013.jpg

Kitsunebi, Drazicdesign, axel and 9 others like this.
  14. brendonwright1989

These are looking great wildii, how much more have you done? Or, better yet, how long do you think till we get to use these fantastic houses! :D I'm keeping little spaces in my new town for these and the 2 storey ones! :D:rolleyes:

15. wildii

wildii Governor

Thanks :) I don`t know how long I`ll need to finish this pack. So far I did five houses for unskilled workers and two houses for skilled workers. Concercing the residential part of my LA pack the plan is to do three more houses for skilled and two for executive. But I want to do a large pack. So long term goal is to add a school, a police station, some warehouses and retail buildings. So it`s a long term project :D

gamescreen0014.jpg
    House7.jpg

16. brendonwright1989

(y)Ok so now I'm super excited about the extra retail and other buildings! I'll keep leaving little areas for them. Can't wait

Abandon Ship and wildii like this.
  17. wildii

wildii Governor

About modding stairs: What dimensions should they be? Is a height of 0,15 cm per step a good choice?
    Here a screen of a mod from aitortilla01
    Stair.jpg

Myname, kipate and Abandon Ship like this.
  18. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

as far as i know the best standard is 19cm. but for cxl usage everything between 10 - 30 cm height should be ok

19. brendonwright1989

Hey Wildii, how is this project coming along now? :D

20. wildii

wildii Governor

Hey, unfortunately there is no progress. I am super busy with real life lately

kipate likes this.