If you have not used mods for Cities XL before, then this guide is for you.
Mods are very useful for enhancing the game experience, adding content, cheating and / or fixing something the developers have not put enough thought into.
Installing mods is very easy:
1. Make sure you are not running the game
2. Locate the Cities XL installation directory
When manually installing Cities XL, you are given the option to choose an installation folder. The default location is:
C:\Program Files\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL (2011 / 2012)\
2.1. If you have changed the installation directory you will need to locate it manually.
a) If you have a Cities XL shortcut on your desktop, you can use it to locate the game's installation directory.
- Right click on the shortcut
- Click on Properties
- Click on the Shortcut tab
- Click on Open File Location / Find Location
b) Alternatively, you can use the search function of the start menu
2.2. For Cities XL purchased through Steam:
a) Locate the Steam installation folder (you can use the steps above). Default location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
Steam\steamapps\common\Cities XL (2011 / 2012)\
3. Once inside the Cities XL installation directory, open the Paks folder
4. Create a new folder for installing mods. You can name it Mods or anything you like
5. Download the mods you would like to use and put them in the new folder you created
Note: if a mod is archived (the file name ending in "zip" / "rar" / "7z"), you need to unzip it using appropriate software (like WinRar)
You can now start the game and enjoy the mods you've installed
To uninstall any mod, simply remove its files from the Paks folder and any subfolders created.