La Foche with Manége La Foche in the middle: Saint George chirch on the right
- Game Version:
- Cities XXL 2015
Railway station towards the Industrial zones of Beau Jardin on the left and Beaute-Maratz on the right
On the left some transport compagny's and the ADT (Alpha Centaurian Departement of Transport) bureau. In French (DTA) Departement de Transport du Alpha Centaurian)
Vieuw from the Gare Central towards the eastern side of the City
Boulevard de Béranger (Central Lane), o the left the goverment district and the Da Vinci international center right in front (bleu building), on the right the Stade de Tours, and the Highest cassino and restaurant on Alpha Centauri.
Vieuw to the east with on the right the Woodrow Wilson bridge and in
front the Goverment district. On the right alsow the Tours historical museum (red building right before the Castle) And the Castle of Tours, and afcours the parc du obelisk)
Vieuw from the volcano to the west and the Parçay-Meslay airport
From the norht to the south you can see the beautiful Tours skyline
Vieuw on Quartier d'Europe
District La Foche. In the middle La Foche abbey and student home of the Tours university that was founded in 1971. The Faculties are spred out through out the city concentrated in specialized hubs.
Vieuw towards the Woodrow Wilson bridge. In front the Cathedrale Saint-Martin du Tours
The River Loire by Night
from the suburb districht of La Foche a beautiful vieuw towards the far away city.
From Interstate A 1 comming from the Belgian Capitol Houthalen vieuw from a Highway bridge towards the city
Here ends the A 1 connecting all important area's of the city
The river Loire and the Aveneu Malraux by night
Sainte-Radegonde and Qaurtier d'Europe
Vieuw CBD Tours by night
Utility area Beaute-Marantz
Vieuw from the casino towards the city in the east
Tours CBD vieuw from Quartier d'Europe, with Woodrow Wilson bridge
Panorama to the west: on the left side the district of La Foche, Quartier Europe and Sainte Radegonde, on the right with in the middle of the Loire the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Centre district.
City overvieuw from the Casino
History of Tours:
In Gallo-Roman times the city was a important crossing point of the river Loire. It was founded in the first century ad between 10 and 30 ad. Back than the sity was named Caesarodunum ("hill of ceasar). In the following century's the name changed in to the Original Gallic name. In the 4th century it was named " Civitas Turonum and later in the Karolingan and Frankisch time it became Tours. In that time it had his first golden age. Tours became famus about its Amphitheather (5th biggest in the Roman Empire). Tours alsow became the capitol of the Province of Lugdunum by the end of the 4th century. Before it was capitol of its own small province. Alredy in the 4th century Tours alsow became a important religious city. One of its first Bishops was Saint-Martin wich gave his coat to a naked begar. Accourding the legend this beggar was Jesus Christ himself. This event did not happend in Tours but in Amiens. Tous became there for a important center on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostella.
In 732 ad Charles Martel defeded a large army of muslims ounder the command of Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi at the Battle of Tours. In 845 the viking area began and they terrorised the area for decades to come. The most fears of them whas there leader Hasting. In 852 they sacked Tours, the Abbey of Marmoutier and Angers. In the middle ages the city whas a typical double city in that time. (This type of city whas very common in that time.) In 918 the first castle was build "Chateuneuf) The two centers where linked in the 14th century. During the middle ages Tours whas the capitol of the country of Tours. Its territoory whas bitterly disputed. between the counts of Blois and Anjou. At time of Louis XI,who had settled in the castle of Montils, The city was for a brief time alsow the capital of France. Louis XI alsow introduced the silk industrie in the area wich still survives untill today.
Charles IX passed through the city at the time of his royal tour of France between 1564 and 1566, accompanied by th court and hus broother the Duke of Anjou, Henri De Navarre the cardinals of Bourbon and Lorraine. He restored power to the Catholics and nominated the aldermen. The Massacre of Saint-Barthélemy was not repeated but the protestants where all imprissoned by the aldermen wich prevented e sudden death. The permanent return of the Court to Paris and then Versailles marked the beginning of a slow bur permanent decline.
However, it was the arrival of the railway in the 19th century which saved the city by making it an important nodal point. The main railway station is known as Tours-Saint-Pierre-des-Corps. At that time, Tours was expanding towards the south into a district known as the Prébendes. The importance of the city as a centre of communications contributed to its revival and, as the 20th century progressed, Tours became a dynamic conurbation, economically oriented towards the service sector.
First World War
The city was greatly affected by the First World War. A force of 25,000 American soldiers arrived in 1917, setting up textile factories for the manufacture of uniforms, repair shops for military equipment, munitions dumps, an army post office and an American military hospital at Augustins. Thus Tours became a garrison town with a resident general staff. The American presence is remembered today by the Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Loire, which was officially opened in July 1918 and bears the name of the man who was President of the USA from 1913 to 1921. Three American air force squadrons, including the 492nd, were based at the Parçay-Meslay airfield, their personnel playing an active part in the life of the city. Americans paraded at funerals and award ceremonies for the Croix de Guerre; they also took part in festivals and their YMCA organised shows for the troops. Some men married girls from Tours.
In 1920, the city was host to the Congress of Tours, which saw the creation of the French Communist Party.
Second World War
Tours was also marked by the Second World War. In 1940, the city suffered massive destruction andT for four years it was a city of military camps and fortifications. From 10–13 June 1940, Tours was the temporary seat of the French government before its move to Bordeaux. German incendiary bombs caused a huge fire which blazed out of control from 20–22 June and destroyed part of the city centre. Some architectural masterpieces of the 16th and 17th centuries were lost, as was the monumental entry to the city. The Wilson Bridge (known locally as the 'stone bridge'), carried a water main which supplied the city; the bridge was dynamited to slow the progress of the German advance. With the water main severed and unable to extinguish the inferno, the inhabitants had no option but to flee to safety. More heavy air raids by Allied forces devastated the area around the railway station in 1944 causing several hundred deaths
A plan for the rebuilding of the downtown area drawn up by the local architect Camille Lefèvre was adopted even before the end of the war. The plan was for 20 small quadrangular blocks of housing to be arranged around the main road (la rue Nationale), which was widened. This regular layout attempted to echo, yet simplify, the 18th-century architecture. Pierre Patout succeeded Lefèvre as the architect in charge of rebuilding in 1945. At one time there was talk of demolishing the southern side of the rue Nationale in order to make it in keeping with the new development.
The recent history of Tours is marked by the personality of Jean Royer, who was Mayor for 36 years and helped to save the old town from demolition by establishing one of the first Conservation Areas. This example of conservation policy would later inspire the Malraux Law for the safeguarding of historic city centres. In the 1970s, Jean Royer also extended the city to the south by diverting the course of the River Cher to create the districts of Rives du Cher and des Fontaines; at the time, this was one of the largest urban developments in Europe. In 1970, the François Rabelais University was founded; this is centred on the bank of the Loire in the downtown area, and not – as it was then the current practice – in a campus in the suburbs. The latter solution was also chosen by the twin university of Orleans. Royer's long term as Mayor was, however, not without controversy, as exemplified by the construction of the practical – but aesthetically unattractive – motorway which runs along the bed of a former canal just 1500 metres from the cathedral. Another bone of contention was the original Vinci Congress Centre by Jean Nouvel. This project incurred debts although it did, at least, make Tours one of France's principal conference centres.
Jean Germain, a member of the Socialist Party, became Mayor in 1995 and made debt reduction his priority. Ten years later, his economic management is regarded as much wiser than that of his predecessor, the financial standing of the city having returned to a stability. However, the achievements of Jean Germain are criticised by the municipal opposition for a lack of ambition: no large building projects comparable with those of Jean Royer have been instituted under his double mandate. This position is disputed by those in power, who affirm their policy of concentrating on the quality of life, as evidenced by urban restoration, the development of public transport and cultural activities.
I will no longer be hosting XLNation as of March 1, 2017. Skullz613 will be taking the reigns of the site in early 2017 and XLNation will be moving to a new web hosting service. During that transition there will be an interruption in service of up to two weeks. Skullz613 is now a full administrator of XLNation. Be kind to him.Dismiss Notice
The Silk city