1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

11 Million Population City

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by OmniusPrime, Jul 7, 2016.

1. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I managed to create a city on the Paris map with 11 million in population. I show how tough it is to manage a city so populous as well as how I overcame the traffic problem with an awesome metro system. I share lots of city statistics to show where I had problems getting satisfaction up and others where I did a good job of satisfying the inhabitants. I take a ride on the monorail system that encircles much of the city. I also show off my traffic grid layout.

kipate likes this.
  2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

If you don't mind cheating just a little:

Metro Usage Increase (Realistic Version)
    Transportation - Metro Usage Increase (Realistic Version)
    I've gotten as much as 2x increase on average as much as 4x increase on individual lines.

Metro Usage Increase (Low Traffic Version)
    Transportation - Metro Usage Increase (Low Traffic Version)
    "a radical increase in public transport usage and a significant decrease in road traffic."

OmniusPrime likes this.
  3. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks for this suggestion! I tried the3 first one and saw no increase whatsoever in all 3 of my cities. I actually saw a slight decrease in my massive Paris city, from 69% efficiency to 65%. I can't believe I created perfect monorail systems but the one in Paris does work nicely. I was worried about the one in my smallest city of Craterton that had max car size and 80% efficiency, I sweated out it maxing them out completely.

I downloaded and placed the file in the mods folder. I assume that's correct and that it doesn't go into the paks folder.

I opted against trying the second one as it didn't look stable enough, saw it caused one user crashes and didn't see your support there.

I was hoping that it would increase metro usage and decrease my traffic flow, I'm not adverse to using cheats to overcome problems. What kind of population do your cities have where it does work? I think interconnecting metro lines is very important to having good ridership.

4. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Take a look at my improved traffic situation in Sacramento done without cheats. I just added one new metro line and upgraded a lot of Large Avenues to Great Avenues. Plus I took out some small farm roads and three blocks of a small avenue in a manufacturing/heavy industry area to improve traffic flow.

ronrn likes this.
  5. ronrn

ronrn Governor

The Mods folder is the correct place. I never put any mods in the Paks folder.
    I can say that I have had no crashes or problems with either mod but I seem to prefer the realistic version.
    My cities tend to be between 1 or 2 mil. I don't usually set population as a goal.
    I try to focus on getting sims back and forth to work. Mainly non-skilled and skilled sims. Execs and Elites will not use transit unless they have no other choice. I use other techniques also, like limiting hiway access for example.
    Interconnecting line are very important. My transit systems often resemble the grid pattern of the old sim city.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  6. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Perhaps my extreme city size is overwhelming the mod. I do have a few mods in the paks folder, that's where they're supposed to go according to the mod instructions. Although it didn't work in my 2 million population city either. I try to use the highway for a good transport route for car traffic. Funny that the higher ups don't like mass transit in this game, I'd think they'd like the metro better than buses. Buses seem like a waste. I didn't try the second one but I'll probably give it a whirl just to see if it does any better.

kipate likes this.
  7. ronrn

ronrn Governor

May I ask which mods...full titles are not necessary. It may be that I have some mods that should be relocated for optimum performance.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  8. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Here's a list of mods I have in the paks folder:

wcpaeb Sydney Opera House
    wcpaeb Transamerica Pyramid
    wcpaeb Berlin Cathedral
    z_mod_s296_nocarboxesv1

Looks to be only 4, most from wcpaeb. The 3 from wcpaeb I got from XL Nation. The no more boxed cars mod I got from Steam. It would be nice to have consistency in where they're placed, but I doubt I would reload them because I've used them in prior cities and want to avoid any problems with saves that have them in the old location and then the program thinks they're gone and may delete the buildings.

ronrn likes this.
  9. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Steam..........:cautious:
    I quit using Steam subscriptions long ago. They just seem to lead to problems.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  10. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    I'm stopping any more Steam downloads, just sticking with the ones I have. I'm going to do my next video on Satisfaction, going to show off that nifty Satisfaction cheat mod you turned me onto. That paradigm building is rather useful for large cities but the rest of the buildings seem a tad too overpowered.

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

The other building are powerful. Use them to kick your token count way up to speed up the construction "blueprints" and then delete them.
    To bad though there is nothing in this mod to regulate "retail" satisfaction.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  12. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    No need for me to jack up resources with those cheat buildings to build blueprint buildings as I always have enough boosted excess, or trade, to do the max build at any step of the construction process. Since retail isn't a "service" the Paradigm building doesn't help. Too bad someone doesn't make a superstore like that Bullock's store that would increase retail satisfaction 10%. Satisfaction booster buildings are wonderful! :cool:

Funny that now I have an excess of Office resource from Paris, it's generating about 1,000 units and I took out all of the office booster buildings I could find, even in every city I have.

It also looks like I broke my trade as Paris has a constant 4,116 cash tokens regardless of what I actually do adding or subtracting trade resources. Even when I dropped my trade of office tokens significantly my cash tokens stay the same. Gives me a whole bunch of income room to build service buildings. :ROFLMAO:

13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I've changed some settings in the patch (.class) file of the Altiris_Retail_Bunnings mod. It now seems to be regulating the retail satisfaction level just like the paradigm building does for the other services. I have it as the only retail building in a city population of about 30k so far with complete satisfaction, and the retail token level is still realistic.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  14. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    It would seem like a waste on a small 30K city to need a retail booster building. I think I get the same satisfaction level at 30K using the small retail buildings we're limited to. It would be nice though for large cities where the size does matter to satisfaction levels. I hope you get that Altiris_Retail_Bunning mod ready for public consumption soon, always nice to have good booster buildings.

15. ronrn

ronrn Governor

The 30k was just a quick "test" city. Going to test larger populations.
    It will need very thorough testing before publishing to make sure it does what it's designed to do and doesn't crash any games.
    It absolutely can't be published without the authors permission.
    With all this in mind I could only speculate a time frame, if it ever gets published at all.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    You could probably modify a building in the game, not a modded one that requires permission. I noticed the Paradigm building is just one of the 5-Star tourism hotels.

I also figured out how the satisfaction works from the Paradigm building. It gives basic satisfaction to any who aren’t satisfied with a service. I noticed my orange turned to green, but only the basic lime-green associated with basic satisfaction. Your 100% satisfaction didn’t come from the Paradigm building, but was what you had normally with a small city of 30K.

A shame there isn’t a resource booster type building for reducing air pollution, something that would reduce the air pollution created by heavy industry and manufacturing buildings. Or one that really boosts the anti-air pollution effect of Parks. I’d think a reducer building that reduces air pollution would be the best, save us from always having to upgrade polluting to nonpolluting factories. It's really annoying having to go through heavy industry and manufacturing buildings periodically to upgrade them to the green model.

Here’s my latest video on satisfaction where I show the Paradigm building’s effect on my Paris city. It raised my fire from 35% to 53% but did little to raise my other services like police and health because most everyone was already basically satisfied.

Here's the link to my latest video which is all about satisfaction and the effect of the Paradigm building on my Paris city:

17. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Have a look at this mod.
    Specifications state that only one per city for 20% map area coverage. Not very effective in heavy polluted areas.
    However, I have had no problems in XXL placing multiple quantum plants.
    I find that a "field of 6 to 8 plants is fairly effective and doesn't look to bad either when camolouged with plazas and/or trees.
    Quantum Tech & Carbon Credit Anti-Pollution Plant:
    Buildings - Quantum Tech & Carbon Credit Anti-Pollution Plant

Again, I modified the .class file myself to have just one plant to cover an entire map.;)

OmniusPrime likes this.
  18. Big Meany Mean

Big Meany Mean Executive

I didn't notice before but that city is super-dupper-dense likke holy tortillas!

OmniusPrime likes this.
  19. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did find this Quantum Tech anti-pollution device mod while scouring the XL mods for new ones to use. It does do a nice job of seriously reducing both kinds of pollution, I placed two near a big passenger airport and could see each time how it reduced the noise pollution zone. I just buy as many as I need to get the desired effect now that I have the Kiwi Lite bank mod. I also picked up an environmental mod that gives us new versions of the Big Park as well as anti-pollution plazas.

20. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Big Meany Mean,
    The only way to get 11 million population was to pack them in like sardines. I'm now making my Flachlandstadt city on a whole different basis as I'm placing parking lots in between buildings to spread out the population and reduce it as well as make the city look more realistic. Check out my new Klick Square Parquet Floor Dos Equis (Double X) layout system in this new video.