1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

At This Rate Its Gonna Take My Over A Year!

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by IcyHot, Sep 4, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

RANT ON!

I seem to be the only one migrating patch files to the new server the last few days. I can manage around 10 a day, since I have to search google cache and webarchive for the proper information. There was around 900 XLEX entries on the OLD XLNation. There are over 1200 files in the "restore" directory in the sFTP server area. (some duplicates, some version upgrades) From what I can tell there are around 400 to 500 XLEX entries to migrate. At this pace it will take over a year to get this done.

I suspect many XLEX patches are going to be lost to history, and in fact maybe many should. The thing is, the longer this takes the more likely the google cache or webarchive cache is lost FOREVER. Once that happens we have no reference for recovery. Many mod authors have gone. Most of you that have been playing CitiesXL for years and have all the patches, so the situation is not urgent I guess. What about those that don't?

So here's the deal, either mod authors and others get off their butt and help or I think I will just put the old piece of shit server back up, tell Hyperwolf to take his website somewhere else and then I will wash my hands of this entire thing.

I am NOT the one that abandoned XLNation with no software and security updates. I am NOT the one that never did proper maintenance on the database or back up their files. As a result the server and website were hacked.

I offered help and want to see XLNation become the go to place for City Builders. I got involved for two reasons: 1) I love CitiesXL and 2) the situation with the OLD XLNation was impacting my company internet access and website. I offered a solution to the community. If the community does not want the solution then I don't know.

If 10 people did 5 entries each day we would be done in a week. That is the power of the community.

RANT OFF

2. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

If anyone wants to help recreate the XLEX entries please email me at webmaster@xlnation.net for information and procedures

3. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I am, I am just so deeply sorry for all you have to go through, doing all the work and now the only one migrating the mods.
    I myself volunteered to do this job, but it seems like I am being a lazy ass and just doing nothing to make the site BETTER.
    From now on, I promise I'll fulfill what I am supposed to do, I am going to reupload as much mods as I can in a day.
    I am going to put aside what I am doing on my computer, modding, city building, et cetera to devote my time for THIS
    site to continue for the years to come. We all are just so sorry Icy. :(

kipate likes this.
  4. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

I promise you Icy, that if no shit stuff comes in, I WILL upload 10 mods a day, and will do the best I can for this amazing community!
    That´s my words i got and i hope I will do at least something for XLN.

5. Monty

Monty Governor

Welcome to CXL community! :ROFLMAO:

I did my 10 of today.

I contacted a few non active modders but they are very reluctant to re upload their mods because alleged time issues. :cautious:

Errr moderators? are you there? ;););)

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I sent you a email Icy. Will be glad to help.

7. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been quite busy with shit, so I'll get into it over the weekend.

8. Monty

Monty Governor

Thank you TFM! The more we are, the faster the job gets done. I think it's important to have the moderators around whenever is possible to re assign the mods as quickly as possible, otherwise they will pile up and then you'll have to search for each one of them, overcomplicating the process. I started a private conversation with the Moderators to keep them up to date with the mods I'm uploading, so they don't have to search the mods to re assign.

Maybe it's a good idea for other uploaders to do the same until we get the xlex done.

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

It's also really handy to do what you have been doing Monty by naming who the original author is.

10. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Just a friendly reminder, you really should move the images from those third party images host sites or even webarchive to here. That way we never lose the photos.

11. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

Ive uploaded all my mods and am prepared to help with moving some others.

Just PM me with the details of how to help and I will do so.

I see we are up to the 450/800 mark so over halfway there.

Regards

PJC

12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well there's not many left in the FTP folder now :)

13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah you guys are moving through them fast now