1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Bay Of Islands City Building Competition 2018

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Mr.X², Feb 24, 2018.

1. East Pavilion-er

East Pavilion-er Executive

I have something wrong with the "large avenue splitter" mod, and it does not appear in the game. I fixed it by redownloading the mod. There are always some incompatible mods with CXXL, which will increase the instability of the game. I tend to uninstall the mods that renders the game unstable and play within the limits.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

The map is 2048x2048 so could cause problems on slower PC's. My PC is nothing special, AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core with an old NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 and it runs the bigger map OK.

3. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Catched up some free time.... hope il get my plans fulfilled till july (y)

Lightroom 3.jpg

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Road layout so far. Have plenty of time on my hands so spending quite a bit of time on it most days. Not sure if I'll cover all of the map. Think it would be biting of more than I can chew.
    levelscreen0003.jpg
    And the main city so far. Better close up pics of areas will come later :)
    I'm slowly stretching the suburban areas out to make it more realistic.

cxl_screenshot_wai land_34.jpg

BahadirB, Mr.X², Clemech4 and 5 others like this.
  5. East Pavilion-er

Wow skullz, you chose to build the city center the same as my city! What a coincidence (y)

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I was planning to put an airport at the lower potion and have the city on the other big land mass but it didn't work out that way.

7. East Pavilion-er

8. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

I'm working on this sunken highway with a little greener touch...
    cxl_screenshot_mosojmarka_0.jpg
    I've finished some of the interchanges of the rhm network... there's no variety of shapes, I know but the network is functional...
    cxl_screenshot_mosojmarka_1.jpg cxl_screenshot_mosojmarka_2.jpg cxl_screenshot_mosojmarka_3.jpg
    Fun, fun fun!!!
    Saludos desde Sudamérica!

9. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

Also, I'm having a lot of trouble with new people coming to my city... they don't know simple rules... damn people!
    cxl_screenshot_chi_119.jpg

10. nicknick

nicknick Governor

hehe Love it!!

Jotaere likes this.
  11. Laura Mendezas Caillard

Laura Mendezas Caillard Unskilled Worker

Part III: Paulson Central Financial District pt. II, South Andersen pt. II, State Capitol of State of Accomack(incomplete), and Cassius Davis Intl. Airport (incomplete)

I'm finished but not yet, it was working on CFD and airport even with State Capitol District and other places which still i can build or construct more with new realistic buildings and new industrial and port complex with apartments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] gamescreen0019.jpg gamescreen0020.jpg gamescreen0021.jpg gamescreen0023.jpg gamescreen0024.jpg gamescreen0022.jpg

12. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Voltaire square in the historic center!

20180311173535_1.jpg

Kimopolis, Myname, Clemech4 and 7 others like this.
  13. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

@Drazicdesign wow amazing stuff ! :) This would be amazing competiton :D

@Jotaere nice RHM stuff, im not there yet :D

Sometnihg from me. Not into details so much yet, just filling up the map, experimenting with style :)

Part 4 Forum.jpg

Kimopolis, solo, Clemech4 and 5 others like this.
  14. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, @ObelicS, nice work so far. I like that you added another plateau between the water level and the city core, this way, the height difference may not look that steep :)
    I do miss some more trees decorating the streets, though ;) if it shall be a Southern French city, you may have a look at Marseille's Cours de Belsunce, or the Boulevard de la Corderie, amongst other streets :p
    But keep it up (y)

@Drazicdesign, we need some darkly textured pedestrian staircase version of uokiok's work :D

BahadirB likes this.
  15. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

I could not much more agree with this! We definitely need a darker textured pedestrian staircase! :)

16. East Pavilion-er

Recent progress, messing with roads, RHMs, Railways and Chinese style communities.
    Central station, Huiyuan Square(绘园广场), and Government of Huiyuan District.
    upload_2018-3-12_14-17-8.jpeg
    Old town area and the Huiyuan North Station.
    upload_2018-3-12_14-19-4.jpeg
    For reference, this pic is the Google satellite map taken from the East Pavilion (东亭) area of Wuhan city (where my ID is taken from), it shows a typical Chinese old city community (1980s and 90s style) featuring generally identical buildings with 4-7 floors, and I actually live half a mile north-east of the community shown in this pic!
    upload_2018-3-12_14-26-39.png
    A full satellite map of current downtown, with three functional RHM interchanges.
    upload_2018-3-12_14-29-32.jpeg
    And finally, a park in the tip of the lake (the proposed Lake Tip National Park in my initial planning on the 1st page of this post) The roads here are cycle paths.
    upload_2018-3-12_14-30-44.jpeg
    Please give me some tips cuz it's my first time building a competition city!

solo, Jotaere, Mr.X² and 1 other person like this.
  17. East Pavilion-er

And some pics showing my Adobe Illustrator skills. China-ify the bridges and the highway signs!
    upload_2018-3-12_14-41-30.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-12_14-41-48.jpeg

Jotaere likes this.
  18. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Riverside its not finished yet. Plan is to put rocks and small vegetation between water level and road level, but thats a lot work to do so i finished maybe 100m hahaah :D

And its not right time for trees placing yet. I planned that from outer centre. For this part right now i wonna keep strong "urban" feeling thats why im not using much greenery :) But it will be :D

kipate likes this.
  19. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Oh, you have already started some good cities here^^ I'll start it too asap, when my new GPU will come, the previous one broke down :/ And i also have a mod to finish... ;)

Jotaere, kipate and ObelicS like this.
  20. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

@East Pavilion-er
    Here are some tips i find crucial for making realistic city.
    1. Dont use ingame plazas- rather place trees and street furniture by yourself. It takes time but results are far better.
    2. Dont use too much repetitive buildings but stick with the same style (you need to balance these 2 elements)- use noncollision placement in your favor. Combine multiple buildings into one, try different positioning placement, etc.
    3. Dont use default ingame bridges (they are too big or rather to say they are not scaled right).
    4. When making residential districts like you posted above, use different buildings and areas like parks or construction sites to break monotony and to add dynamic touch and realism to the city (i like to use small offices, markets and, tech buildings... i find them fit the best)
    5. Dont make everything too much "perfect" cause cities in reality are not perfect at all. They are many time problems with spacing, terrain styles, different types of society, wealth, culture factors, etc....
    6. Study google earth images, 3d models- best way to get the feeling of the real city.
    7. Dont bother too much to make good 1st person ingame street views and aerials in the same time. Game cant bring so much details like real world, thats why balanced, scaled and real looking ingame 1st person street view will probably look unreal and undetailed from above, giving you cartoonish/ unrealistically feeling that you wonna evade.

Thats all i can think off. Use every map like its your canvas. Experiment different things, dont bother too much about buildings function (residential building doesnt mean needs to be only residential) use your imagination.

Good luck with the competition and further creations :LOL:

Kimopolis, BahadirB, solo and 4 others like this.