1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL Can't start new city

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by veija2, Aug 31, 2015.

1. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Hoping one of you tech gurus can help me. I can not open a new city in XXL on any map or with any roads. The game crashes on the initial city save attempt. Last time this happened, when I tried again, I got this at the planet screen
    car on planet.png

thanks for taking a look.

Here's the end of the log:

Register or to view Spoiler content!

NOTE: existing cities open fine.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That car showing there is the old XL bug. Funny its in XXL as well.
    As for your error, I'm not to sure yet. Have you made any changes to XXL recently like new mods or moved stuff around?

3. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Skullz, thanks for the response. No changes in the last couple days. I did load a couple old mods to use in my contest city a week or so ago. So you think it is mod related? My game is lagging like crazy like the old xl. I really appreciate your help.

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Okay, agree with what @skullz613 said, but before you go the steep and torturing way, did you try the standard procedure?
    1) delete shadercache, if it does not help (if no), then
    2) delete or take out the prototypesdb.bin file, to be found
    in C:\User\Username\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\CitiesXXL\live\data\config,
    the game itself will generate a new one, if no, then
    3) try to use the tutorial by Peter912: Tutorial - How to solve corrupt save without backup | XLNation - Cities XXL

if none of this helps, then you are really fucked :ROFLMAO:

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, by the way, are you talking about creating a new city, or are you talking about the failure
    when it comes to saving the new city? We really want to help you, but we are not sure what exactly
    your problem was ("we"= all the people in the chat^^)...
    Maybe God @Monty can come down from heaven and help you?

6. veija2

veija2 Mayor

@kipate, well first of all, thanks to everyone who wants to help and to you for making these suggestions. I pick a map, pick roads, launch the city and the game crashes at the first save screen, before it's really opened.

I empty my shadercache every time I play the game. I will try deleting the prototypesdb.bin - be right back . . . no, no help.

I haven't tried Peter's tutorial, because I haven't lost a city. My existing cities open fine. I just can't start a new one.

EDIT -more info:

last lines of log after attempt a few minutes ago:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

That map slot would be the new city, but it shows in the solo.../city file only as:

<luatable baseName ='MapSaveMgr.CitySaveData' >

Hope this info is the giveaway to some tech God . . .

7. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

What are these old mods you added a week ago? Is there a map in them? Did you try to create a new city before those additions?

8. veija2

veija2 Mayor

the old mods were a couple monuments - stonehenge and another I haven't put in=game yet, and the stadium unlocker.

No, I haven't tried to create a new city for months before yesterday.

9. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

I suppose you tried with different maps.

10. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Yes, I've tried over half a dozen maps, stock and custom, and w/ every different road set.

11. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I wonder if the save game folder may no longer have write permissions?

12. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Interesting. I don't know how to check that. I did notice that in the offline folder, I have a over a half dozen of each of these files:
    save.command
    save
    save.sav
    save.sav.old2

13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought if this on the way to work. Launch Cities XL by right clicking the icon and then select "run as administrator." See what that does

14. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Hmm.Clever. Hadn't thought of anything like that. But the same thing happens. I would wonder if I'm not missing a mod or something, except that my existing cities open. Thanks for the idea though, IcyHot.

15. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Watching closeley for the results.
    I had a very similar issue not long ago in XXL(2015). The planet car too.
    I think I had to many cities built and in progress at one time. About 6 or 8, if I remember correctly, with 2 on the same map. I removed(saved) all cities and just did a fresh install, then reloaded just a couple of unfinished cities. This cleared the issue for me.

16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Thanks, ronrn. With steam, it's a pain to reinstall and I was hoping I wouldn't have to. The last time I lost a city. I have only 4 cities in xxl.

17. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Just an update, if anyone still is thinking about this issue - here's the cuprit, according to the log:

[05:38:13] SCRIPT csLuaState.cpp ( 346) ErrorBuild LUA_ERRRUN : runtime error ([string "data\design\script\interface\dayandnight.lua"]:271: attempt to call method 'IsNewGame' (a nil value) stack traceback: [string "data\design\script\interface\dayandnight.lua"]:271: in function 'initCubeMaps' [string "data\interface\panels\ingame\ingame.lua"]:2952: in function 'DayAndNightLoadComplete' [string "INGAME:DayAndNightLoadComplete( "_level0.DayAndNight.Container" )"]:1: in main chunk)
    [05:38:16] SCALEFORMMANAGE ciScaleformManager.cpp ( 816) Assert Fatal error : unknown Exception on INGAME->Advance(DeltaCPUTime).

Thanks, guys, for taking a look.

18. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Guess I'll hang it up for a while. Now no city will open.

[08:53:40] SCALEFORMMANAGE ciScaleformManager.cpp ( 816) Assert Fatal error : unknown Exception on INGAME->Advance(DeltaCPUTime).
    [08:53:41] LUA csScriptManager.cpp ( 523) Error Saving SoloBPMgr.BP[SoloSaveRegion8Map68]
    [08:53:41] LUA csScriptManager.cpp ( 523) Error Shooting live/offline/solo/SoloSaveRegion8Map68/auto/Checkpoint.dds
    [08:53:41] LUA csScriptManager.cpp ( 523) Error Doing New message box with noAction ​

19. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

It looks like you will have to backup properly your cities (savegame folder) and your mods folder before to reinstall the game.

20. veija2

veija2 Mayor

UPDATE: I removed all my mods and start selectively reloading them. Luckily I had a small support city to use for testing that would open after I removed the old (non-dependency) mods. It was a very slow process but I now have a set of 97 xxl mods, 45 old xln mods, and 6 maps that have been working perfectly for about 100 hours of play/testing.

I can start new cities on both stock and custom maps. I didn't have to reinstall the game. My test city, Aille, is at 3 million population.