1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Ur Opinions

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by mrmajkl, Sep 4, 2014.

1. City_Master

City_Master Vagabond

Looks great, will be sure to check it out once it's released.

2. mgsports

mgsports Unskilled Worker

Cities XL has lots of real Commercial Buildings that have been made for it but needs a Graphics Card that might my Dell doesn't have and can't up grade it to it because it's a all in one.

3. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I know how you feel ^^ I have integrated graphics ( :facepalm: ) and it's tough building a city bigger than 50,000 or so with the lag, and I can forget about high quality even just for screenshots if a city gets much bigger.

4. cshmech

cshmech Unskilled Worker

I have now words to express how much im relieved and happy about this new city simulation game.. (I came to know about Cities Skylines only today :D). I've ranting this in many forums.. Any city simulation game they make in future would be better than Simcity2013! Just have big map sizes. All I expected maxis to do was to improve the graphics on SC4 and remove the tiled plopping.. But they did more than that only to screw up.

The only other alternative i had was CXL which is comparatively good... but i have complaints on this too. As somebody said its more of a city 'painter' you plop buildings and its just there.. no dynamics, no growth. And also i did not like the 'token' setup of this game. I need to know how much water/electricity (in terms of quantitative units) is being produced and consumed in my city. SC4 had a fantastic detailing of that (yea... golden age of maxis) which i missed in CXL. It is so bad that when i plop a medium power plant, i dont even know how much power it can generate (even in terms of tokens!(n)). I just plop it and hope the token production goes up.. which is just a sad way to live for a mayor:confused:.

Anyway, i hope Cities: Skylines addresses all these issues. I dont care much about the graphics though.. The graphics in the trailer and screenshots looks pretty comforting to me.. hope they do something about that menu bar in the bottom. Having seen the worst of the city simulation experiences, im hoping Skylines would be a breath of fresh air for me.

All hopes and wishes for this new city simulation child!!! (y)

5. Stevo

Stevo Skilled Worker

It's not going to have the realistic graphics of CXL, but it does look nice. It seems to have the simpler RCI zoning in the latest videos and screenshots on the Paradox Forums. The Devs over there are asking for community input in the Wishlist thread. It seems like they're listening. They are also answering questions. City builders should be excited about this game. It may deliver a lot of what we have wanted for a long time.

Puss in boots likes this.
  6. Rene

Rene Executive

THE COMMUNITY DROOLS FOR RAIL

7. prismaticmarcus

prismaticmarcus Unskilled Worker

i think some may drool more than others :whistle:

nicko2u likes this.
  8. msFiorentina

msFiorentina Executive

At least the roads can be built more realistic with C:SL. Do you know how awful it is to have 8 lane roads in CXL with people walking on sidewalks and have zebrastripe-crossings which are 40m? Really?? Or have 2 traffic lights with 6 lane one way roads. Every road exit has a trafficlight.

CXL is a nice game but the most important thing of a city is transportation, that is my opinion.

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

classic

prismaticmarcus likes this.
  10. Rene

Rene Executive

rail is looking super fine in Skylines and what's with that off topic.

11. Hypercynder

Hypercynder Skilled Worker

I think that cities skyline will better than cities xl

12. Manila Twilight

Manila Twilight Unskilled Worker

I think nothing beats the graphical realism of CXL. It just feels different when you're in-game. But I agree that Cities Skyline will be better than SimCity.

13. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

I just watched the live stream on Twitch last night and I already like what I see. Some of the alpha bugs were funny (like the ships going over the dams) but I know they will be fixed before release. Some people will be a little disappointed that there will be no trams/light rail at release. The live stream showed off a lot of cool things but I am not sure if the specialized industry upgrades and pollutes less when it has enough over educated workers (like the normal industry, which does not pollute at its highest tier). I like the street parking but I kind of hope that you great developers can figure out how to make parking garages work. However another thing I am disappointing with is the lack of wall-to-wall buildings and the lack of deep buildings (skyscrapers often have far larger footprints than even mansions), I kind of wish that high density zones could extend to 6 tiles instead of 4 tiles like the low density.

--Ocram

14. Rene

Rene Executive

Hey Ocram

I just watched those 2 new vids about the gameplay and it's amazing what they have coded so far, and they say the are on alpha stage.

Graphics sure look and are alpha but other than that the game seems very playable already. And they even forked out tunnels. SO I think that they will wrap it up after christmas brake ;) And indeed it should be Q1 when RTM.

15. Greygor

Greygor Vagabond

I'm not to worried about the current look of Skylines. With the modding support built in from the start I'm pretty sure "realistic" buildings will be added as time passes.

For me I'm more concerned about the gameplay aspects of the core release. If that is solid I'll be a happy bunny, everything else can come later.

It was nice to hear the devs so interested in what they'd like to do post-release such as architectural style dlc (for regional looks), W2W buildings etc.

Of course this will all depend on sale figures, but it does sound like they want to be involved in this over the long term.

Bottom line, better to have a core release that works but is expandable and moddable than to have a release where they try to cram everything in but it's fundamentally broken.

Rene likes this.
  16. grifo

grifo Vagabond

My greetings to community!

Just found this game is about to be released! It looks like the start of new era in city building games to me. I see this game offering many great possibilities right from the start, it tries to combine features and to avoid flaws of other city building games, Paradox will sell some great addons for it in the future as they love to do and sooner or later all CXL fan base will switch to this game and great free mods will follow.

P.S. Notice how FHI tried to cash in and to sell same game with a different name for the 4th time prior to this release. Its was a last chance for them.
    P.P.S. EA shut down studio which were responsible for Sim City reboot. It was their last chance too.

17. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Well, just now installed, tried it out for about half an hour........seemed a lot like I was playing SimCity. I'll give it another try later, for now I think I'll build some more XXL.

18. bobdaktari

bobdaktari Vagabond

yeah - I installed it this morning managed about half an hour before it crashed and (worse) I had to go to work

Very simcityish - haven't had time to fully assess how I'll play it (I prefer sandbox style) or anything else yet.

I'm fully immersed in cities xxl thanks to the modders so skylines might wait a while for a real solid crunch

19. Puss in boots

Puss in boots Executive

I don't have the game yet, but in the movies and pictures its looks so cartoonisch compared to xxl, even cities in motion 2 has beter graphics

I think i wait until i got a nice discount

All hail to the great XXL

20. kipate

kipate Governor

I do not own it yet, but I just want to mention
    that this actually offers functioning railway networks
    as well as many other things that XXL does not.

Btw, would someone be willing to make a video
    and sum up his/her first impressions with all pros and cons?