1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Xxl Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gbojanic, Feb 6, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Hello everyone!

I don't know if you seen the 'reviews' of Cities XXL on Steam but they are 90% bad reviews made by people who played the game for maybe a few hours.
    The top review (also a bad one) is made by someone who played it for 30 minutes!!!
    With that said I don't think the game deserves such bashing. The developers and FHI really made an effort this time to fix and enhance the game and I think that they deserve some positive feedback/reviews. Otherwise they might think that investing their time and money was a mistake and thus might give up on it completely.

So I encourage everyone who tried the game and think it is good and worth buying to go to the Steam page of the game and share your thoughts about it, it's the least it deserves.

Thank you! (y)

Dr. Strange, bobqwerty, Rene and 5 others like this.
  2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Damn straight. It's a massive improvement over previous entries. The amount of times I've made a city and then get instantly pissed off because the lag is well worth the money on my book.

Whoever votes no on this is a bit dense.

bobqwerty and gbojanic like this.
  3. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

I haven't bought CXXL yet but I totally agree with this idea!!!

Rene and gbojanic like this.
  4. Scott K Anderson

Scott K Anderson Vagabond

The reason I'm thinking 'Yes' is the right vote is simple. I've been in good experiences in CXL series. Surely those were not perfectly ok, but I don't think I or someone is not in the situation to say it's worth buying or whatever. Wanters buy it and elses don't! Games are evolving, which means someone behind the creating those games is trying their best. Let's wait and see! A couple of yrs later, there might be poeple who have more understanding and experiences on the game. Then there be an answer.

Rene likes this.
  5. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Game improved a lot, multicore support was very much needed so that's great.
    But it's price is 40€! (for a stand-alone game), that's right for those who buy it for first time and/or are new to franchise. But 20€ for an improvement??? Hell no! Other games devs provide patches and fixes for free or maybe as DLC. At least it should have cost < 5€ for CXL players. It's just a patch not a completely new game.
    So wrong pricing and money milking from FHI leads to vote NO. Don't be harsh at me, I don't say game is bad but vica versa - game is great and very much improved, a lot better than previous CXL, but that FHI's policy makes me anxious.

I recommend this game for new ppl.

prcek009 likes this.
  6. Rene

Rene Executive

I agree with paulixz but despite the price CXXL is a great update, an update.

Ok the lag has been constant issue with many players out there and this time they decided to focus on that, added are nearly 50 new buildings and 5 new maps (wow)...

So it's kind of like 10€ patch but we know what FHI is well at.

Marcos Silveira and MuxLee like this.
  7. brianpavlov

brianpavlov Vagabond

Yeah, people on steam are all up in arms over this game. For me the price is fair, if only for the smoother game play and the new sky. Maybe those who purchased all the previous reiterations of this game have a right to be mad about the price. Now days game companies release over priced DLCs all the time for much less content, like a couple new buildings, different costumes and what not which are far less satisfying (looking at Tropico5). The fact that you good folks here make new mods, building, and maps for free, makes this game so much more(and I hope you continue to do so).
    All in all I'm satisfied with my purchase, money well spent.

kipate and Rene like this.
  8. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

Its not true multicore from what have I seen and read . you need to look at the thread processes to see how this game is performing. Can someone technical look at this and confirm either way.

9. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Is it true multicore or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that the performance will remain the same when the city becomes larger...

Branden Yoon and Reikhardt like this.
  10. Reikhardt

Reikhardt Unskilled Worker

Steam is populated by half-wit peasants who don't live in the real world.
    Personally I think the price is steep for an engine overhaul (and I really appreciate how much work that must've taken, it's no simple 'patch' as some like to call it) so I'll likely leave it until it's out on sale at some point.

The Funky Monk likes this.
  11. Inan

Inan Governor

I won't buy CXXL until all mods are running without having to download them all again (Thanks to all modders for their effort trying to make this possible), but indeed some serious reviews would be great until then.

kipate likes this.
  12. Rene

Rene Executive

CXXL is a great platform and unfortunately confusing start as "converting" cities from 2012/Platinum aren't ease for everyone.

13. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I had to laugh at a guy on the forum who downloaded a XL Platinum game save, put it into XXL and complained about the lag. What did he expect? A bloody miracle? The game save most likely came with tons of mods not tested.
    I'm really happy with XXL at the moment considering all the work I had to do to XL 2012 to get it to run smoothly without crashing. Now I can relax when the autosave kicks in knowing that my city will not crash.

kipate and gbojanic like this.
  14. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Changes in game engines underlie a lot of work under the hood. Those who think (native 64-bit) multicore won't bring any real improvement don't know much about Hardware/Software in general or the game itself... I think it's well worth. As pauliaxz, I too think 20€/$ is a bit high. However, that was Cities XL biggest flaw. If it allows players to have cities 4x times as big, I see no point not to buy it. There's currently no better city builder (with mods, etc. ...Once everything is updated).

So... Can someone who already has CXXL reach 1m/2m in a test city? Tell how many Sims does it take to crash the game? :LOL:

Mr. Timothy Greene likes this.
  15. Bloodbunny

Bloodbunny Vagabond

Can anyone confirm if multi-core was added or not? I'm seeing reports that the description was changed in steam. I also see reports that they just added a few threads and assigned some low level tasks to them, while the lions' share is still single thread. You'd think that the devs would rebut something like that. If they did change the description, we may all have been taken for a ride.

16. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I would like some links to those "reports".

And I hope it's not speculation by the currently raging trolls in the steam forums. Most anything they're saying is bound to be inflated, or simply false.

To clear this up:

Is the game multicore?

Let's think about it. Multi-core support and improved memory usage are pretty much the biggest features of this release. That's the reason they went into the engine and changed things. Need I say more?

With these changes, I can't say exactly how much better the game is overall in performance, but it seemed noticeably improved to me during the 31 hours of testing I did. I'm sure the many others here with more than 1 hour of in-game experience can tell you this as well.

I understand people on steam resenting the fact that they have to pay for these features. Whether the price is worth it is up for the individual to decide. But many of them assert that there's absolutely nothing of value that's been changed. The facts disagree with that. Making such claims is completely nonsensical and makes those who throw them about look plain stupid.

Mr. Timothy Greene and kipate like this.
  17. Auriga

Auriga Vagabond

I agree, the game have a much better performance and some nice little improvements and it doesn't deserve so many bad reviews.

18. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

I don't have any printscreens, but I do remember reading "multi-core" and "railways" on their website. Now there is "more powerful" engine and "metro" instead... Even if anyone had some screenshots, what would they help, really? One can just weep that another expectation was frustrated...

19. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

They have never promised railways.

Reikhardt likes this.
  20. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Man, I saw it with my own eyes on the website. Someone posted it in the first thread with the trailer, copy-pasting, so I went over to Steam and their website and saw it there. As I said above, no proof for it, nor do I need any as it wouldn't change a thing in the end. There are two things where the game (XL) seriously lacks for me - performance and trains. Trains are not happening, so let's see the performance - I don't really care if it is multi-core or not, as long as it runs smooth with XXL cities. Still not sure if it is worth the money though when the game has been pimped up by all the great mods.