1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Continents & Oceans/seas Naming

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Dreian, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Peterian sea?

:drool:

2. verners123

verners123 Skilled Worker

3. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

Or we could try to create a mythological name for all seas and oceans, and if it sounds like "feces" (like Proserpinan Sea), we use a famous XLN member. I also think we should create a poll because everyone (especially me :D) is making proposals but no decisions are made. For each area we could give some options and then we let everyone choose one name per area (so 13 votes per person).

Register or to view Spoiler content!

4. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Thats nice royb although at 3.6 there is also a quite large portion of Marramar. So that should be probably something else.
    We could name it like Marnormian gulf or what.

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, Guys, we also got some mountainsides to name:
    So what about the following:
    Robissian Sea, Gulf of Oleandros, Dikteon Andreion (there is a real Dikteon Andron on Crete),
    St. Peter's Top (name for the highest mountain in a specicfic mountainside), and so on...

6. verners123

verners123 Skilled Worker

Mount Kipate is the highest mountain in Alpha Centauri.It is situated in the Titanic Ridge outside Titania.

7. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

That's just the responsibility of a country if you ask me. The same goes for small rivers and lakes etc., there are just too many of those. And @peter: if you take away Normany, the gulf is also gone, but if you take away Marramar it's still there. I know it's not a very good argument but that's why I called it the Gulf of Normany.

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Titania cannot have major peaks nearby,
    as it lies close to some inland sea that stretches from coast to coast
    and has several ramifications. So it would rather lie almost
    on sea level...

9. Monty

Monty Governor

well, we changed the map so here's the new one ready to be named. If you want to change the number of Oceans or location let me know.

ContinentsAndOceans_Small.png

Attached Files:

kipate, Peter912 and Pamascus27 like this.
  10. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you Monty! That s a hell of a job you are currently doing with the map.

So after having reread this thread... seems we were considering a mix with Mythological and Legends of Modding for naming the continents.
    So we have 5 continents and 7 oceans to start with...

here's a matrix, please update it with your proposals based on the last contribution

CONTINENT A -
    CONTINENT B -
    CONTINENT C -
    CONTINENT D -
    CONTINENT E -

OCEAN 1 -
    OCEAN 2 -
    OCEAN 3 -
    OCEAN 4 -
    OCEAN 5 -
    OCEAN 6 -
    OCEAN 7 -

11. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

So went creative another way... I imagine the first scientists to have discover AC didn t had that much time to brainstorm on names, so they first concentrated on identifying major water & land masses of the planet...

Then they assigned a number to each identified water mass... which they adapted by applying latin root...

OCEAN 1 - PRIMASSIC OCEAN (PRIME & ASSIS)
    OCEAN 2 - DUOBISIC OCEAN (DUO & BIS)
    OCEAN 3 - TRITERNIC OCEAN (TRI & TERTIUS)
    OCEAN 4 - QUATERTIC OCEAN (QUATTUOR)
    OCEAN 5 - QUINTESIC OCEAN (QUINTUS)
    OCEAN 6 - SENIXIC (SENI & SEXIS)
    OCEAN 7 - SEPTEMESIC (SEPTEM)

Regarding land masses, they named the continents by confering to each of them a letter of alphabet (proposal hereunder are just made based on what sounds good to me)

CONTINENT A - AURIANA
    CONTINENT B - BARZULA
    CONTINENT C - CIBELIA
    CONTINENT D - DUMEA
    CONTINENT E - EMINGA

Another prop for continents if we use latin numeric base for oceans, we can use greek alphabetic base for continent (giving something like ALPHEA, BETALA, GAMMELIA, DELTEA, EPSYLIA)

Peter912 and Pamascus27 like this.
  12. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I like the names! Especially Primassic Ocean, Quintesic Ocean, Auriana and Epsylia (y)

13. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I like your proposal with Latin names since they're very common in astronomy. But I suggest we either make them totally Latin, like Mare Tertium or Mare Quintum, or make them a bit simpler and more like English, like Quartic Ocean or Quintic Ocean. I have a Latin dictionary so I can check if it's right or translate some 'poetic names' if necessary.

14. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

guys, my prop was a base to discuss on... so I am ok of course with some updates you guys would like to make.

I just think we should not loose too much time with that part already so if no one is against let s try to keep this latin/greek inspiration based on numbers and alphabet!

15. Monty

Monty Governor

Tho I love the idea of calling them "Mare..." just like the lunar plains, which are called mares too, I'd like to point out Mare means Sea in latin, not ocean. The latin word for ocean is oceanus. So in that case would be like "Oceanus Quintus" etc.

Pamascus27 likes this.
  16. JuanAcadé

JuanAcadé Elite

I like the latin names, and I'm agree with royb and Monty.

17. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

@Monty : that's true, but the Atlantic Ocean was the only ocean the Romans knew. Actually they sometimes called it 'Mare Oceanus', or 'Ocean Sea' :). So basically we could use both. I prefer to use 'mare'.

So here's my proposal. For the oceans, I used the eight wind directions.
    O1: Mare Boreale (Northern Sea)
    O2: Mare Caurum (North Western Sea)
    O3: Mare Favonium (Western Sea)
    O4: Mare Africum (South Western Sea)
    O5: Mare Medium (Middle Sea)
    O6: Mare Eurus (South Eastern Sea)
    O7: Mare Aquilonium (North Eastern Sea)

For the continents, I slightly based the names on yours, @Dreian .
    CA: Aurica (from aurum, gold)
    CB: Byssinia (from byssinus, batiste or linen (don't know why but it sounds nice :p))
    CC: Cubia (from cubaea, a cargo boat with paddles)
    CD: Dumia (from dumus, bush)
    CE: Eminaea (from eminens, extraordinary or excellent)

18. JuanAcadé

JuanAcadé Elite

The ocean 4 is way bigger than the others, so we could call it Mare Magnum or something like that

19. kipate

kipate Governor

How creative you guys are :p
    what about Astraya for the westernmost continent?
    Astraeus was the Titan of Dusk, and in case Alpha Centauri rotates like earth,
    the western will be where the sun goes down, so the continent of the dusk...

20. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I agree with both of you. Mare Magnum is okay, and Astraya sounds much better than Aurica to be honest :). It's not Latin though, then it would be Astraea. Or do you think we should 'Englishfy' the continent names?