1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

CXL 2012 Crash Loading A Saved Game

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by skullz613, Sep 6, 2014.

1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Saved the game earlier on OK. Go to load it and its crashing when the loading bar is just over 50%

[00:54:38] CORE mcFile.cpp ( 198) Error can't open file data/design/furniture/elite/f_eli_deco01.class
    [00:54:43] GRAPH3D EffectFactory.cpp ( 323) Error Fx file <Data/Shader/#.fx> not found. Switching to default.
    [00:54:43] GRAPH3D EffectFactory.cpp ( 323) Error Fx file <Data/Shader/#.fx> not found. Switching to default.
    [00:54:47] CORE mcFilePack.cpp ( 833) ErrorBuild UncompressBuffer: ERROR n°<-3> in zlib uncompress
    [00:54:51] CORE mcSerializeTag.cpp ( 42) ErrorBuild mcSerializeTag: Corrupted file, Invalid tag

Last thing that was done was a whole pile of roads were laid out.

2. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

hmmm do you have a working autosave?

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I tried the autosaves but it still did the same thing. Its not the first time its happened. I have started my city again but I'm being cautious now. I just wished I new which mod was causing it.

4. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I know I used to get crashes just like the one you described, with the tags.cfg error message.

I had the most difficult time figuring out what it was and it was extremely frustrating considering the fact that these crashes would happen after I had built for hours.

I finally concluded that the issue (at least in my case) had to do with custom maps. Every time I build on a custom map, this happened. Tried verifying the UIM install, updating it, etc. Nothing seemed to work so now I only build on default in-game maps.

Not sure if that's the problem you're having, but that was my experience.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I will test out your theory snick, if the error happens again.

6. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

And if you're still getting crashes, have a look at this page for some potential solutions. It's listed as CXL 2011 but I'm running CXL Platinum, I've tried a few when I had crashes and they definitely worked for my situation
    Pay particular attention to the sections titled: -
    AutoSave corruption
    User file corruption
    http://forum.citiesxl.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2195

7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Cheers for the link. My new PC arrived a few hours ago so I'm about to set it up. I'm guessing I'm going to run into a heck of a lot of issues with citiesXL as I'm going to give Windows7 64bit a go.

8. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Hey Skullz, don't stress too much about Win7 64bit, I'm on Win8 64bit and I've had a mostly trouble-free run with CXL Platinum. The only issues I had were regarding corrupted saves (however I'm also running the non-Steam version of CXL if that actually makes any difference).

The only suggestion I would make is to not install games on the main drive under "program files" because Windows Vista, 7 & 8 constantly ask for admin permissions whenever certain programmes in that location want to do something, like say, actually run like they're supposed to!
    It's supposed to be a security feature but it's mostly an unnecessary annoyance that can sometimes prevent games from running. Some people never experience any problem putting their games under "program files" in Win Vista, 7 or 8 but I've had problems of that kind with both Vista and 8 so all my games get installed on my second drive.

9. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

That's odd. I run CXL on Win7 64 bit and, other than the issue I mentioned earlier, everything seems to run fine. I have it on Steam, though; that might make a difference.

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I only got win7 64bit installed yesterday and have not had a chance to test citiesXL 2012 on it yet. Ive spent most of the time getting 64bit versions of all the programs I use.

11. Radiospeed

Radiospeed Unskilled Worker

I had the same issue.. and my city was built upon a custom map.. could it be that custom maps are liable to corrupt after some time??

12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Could be a possibility. I found out the the MAP Editor we use for making maps names two of the layer files differently from what they are suppose to be. I don't know if they would contribute to a custom map crash though. Only way to find out is to test the theory.

13. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

If that is indeed the case, it would be great to get it resolved. :)

14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I did a bit of testing with my Auckland v2 map for 3 hours with the correct file name and had no crashes. I then tested the original patch with the wrongly name file but only ran it for 2 hours. It did not crash but did show an error in the log about the missing layer. I ran out of time during the last test but will try again tonight using a city on my Doha 2 map that crashes every 20 minutes.

15. Radiospeed

I did use the Doha 2 map and i must say its an excellent map.. I had layout all the Roads and ring roads (which took me forever :p) and saved the game. Then when i wanted to load back the city the map crashed after 10 minutes. At first i thought it may be a corrupt mod.. but further testing showed the mods were fine.. I had to delete the city after that as it kept crashing everytime i load it.. which was heartbreaking coz the map was beautiful..

16. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I've only laid out about 15% of the roads in mine. I've been building in two areas and have put down a lot of mods. My crash happens at anytime and the log does not say what caused it.
    I renamed the layer and rebuilt the map but it still crashed. This time I just left the game running while I ate dinner and came back to the crash. I don't know if its the map or a mod.

Radiospeed likes this.
  17. Radiospeed

I was facing similar issues to that you mentioned and I too just left the game idle only for it to crash as well. I had to do a fresh install, remove all mods/custom maps, delete the data file from the Local. Only then the game was stable again.. I played for 4 hours yesterday and it was all ok.. so for now.. it looks like the custom maps maybe the issue..

18. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

The last line in my log files on custom map crashes always indicated a corruption error with tags.cfg. That's certainly not specific and I'm not sure if maps even relate to the tags file, but those are the errors that seemed to crash my game.

Thing is, I would build exactly the same on a default map with the same buildings in the same places and the same mods, with no crashes. It's bizarre. :confused:

And I do agree that whether or not I was doing anything, the game would crash after a certain amount of time, say 5-10 minutes. I could re-load from a checkpoint save, but eventually it would crash.

It's almost as if the crash is triggered after a set amount of time, no matter what. Again, simply bizarre...

19. timofp

timofp Executive

Hey Skullz and Snick,

My game also crashed frequently when loading an autosave or a manual created save game, i get the same error at the end of the log. I found a way around it, don't know if it will work for you but it works here.

I load a working save game of the same city (an old one) which does work. Once the city is loaded i load the recent save game from within the city (so not from the main menu). This way it doesn't crash.

20. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to start a new city on a custom map (Hong Kong). Hopefully it will work out fine. :)