1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Music in Cities:Skylines

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by Adolf95, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Adolf95

Adolf95 Vagabond

Do you think that Cities:Skylines allows us to play custom music in game? Preferably the kind that allows you to just drop your favourite music in a designated folder without having to modify any files. This kind of games often have you spending considerable amount of time, so having a good music playing in the background helps ease the boredom and pumps some mood in it. While most people may be fine with in-game scores, some like me prefers listening to my own. I remember my days playing SimCity 4, initially didn't know that the game allows custom music just by dropping your music into it's soundtrack folder and checking the custom soundtrack box in the sound options.Upon learning it, I dropped Linkin Park and Evanenscence and went nuts with it. Other city simulation I played also allows custom music, but requires some modifications which making it annoying. CXL2012, for example requires renaming the music files to be exactly as the original,not to mention you can't control your songs in-game. Another one, Train Fever, requires the songs to be in .ogg format, which means you need a file converter handy.

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I just turn in-game music down and play music through a media player. Total control over what music I want to listen to and I don't have to copy and paste files.

themp3dj likes this.
  3. Adolf95

Adolf95 Vagabond

But those with slower systems won't find it comfortable. And besides, alt+tab between the game and your media player is kinda adding unnecessary chores especially for hardcore CJers. While Steam is kind enough to include music player in a recent update, using the Steam Overlay itself can disrupt your gaming enjoyment. In SC4 even with custom soundtrack sometimes the song you want to hear didn't play, this is remedied by going to the sound option and hit the skip button and repeat until the songs plays. You see, having in-game music control is easier. In Train Fever, you can play the next or previous songs and even pauses them in real time.