1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Download Steam Workshop Mods Without Steam?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tobias.pohl, Feb 17, 2015.

1. tobias.pohl

tobias.pohl Vagabond

Hi, is it possible to download the mods which are on Steam workshop without steam? So i can install them manually. Thanks in advance.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think most of them are here in the XXL resource area.

3. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Not really, nicko2u seems to be only uploading his mods to steam now

4. Altiris

Altiris Governor

Why? The only reason I can think of you may want to do this is if you have a Non-steam version ie a Pirated version, which to me is a pretty good reason to keep some mods steam only. :p :p

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That's what I'm planning to do for some of my upcoming maps.

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

what makes you think that Icy? there are more mods of mine uploaded here that on here than steam workshop.

7. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Was just pointing out that your updated mods for XXL are on the Workshop not here. Not trying to pick a fight. The workshop makes things so much easier for most users and I appreciate that. I have a love hate relationship with the workshop myself. Personally I don't like things being auto-installed on my computer without me knowing why or what they do. My experience with the workshop includes strange bugs when trying to search etc. I am interested in seeing how the workshop performs when there are 1000s of mods.

For me the jury is still out, but I suspect the game benefits from the workshop for most users, heck the XLNation Resource category for Cities XXL may be obsolete to be honest and should just be removed.

Altiris likes this.
  8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

not a problem, reason for that is I have just been uploading mods to steam workshop that I know fully work both in XXL and older versions.

Pretty much all my mods uploaded here will work in all versions. only issue so far is a few won't show my transparent furniture objects, like balcony's etc. in XXL. @Altiris is working on a new furniture shader I believe.

Plus I don't see the point in uploading all my mods again to a xxl exchange if they already work. hassle just uploading them to steam!
    Hope that makes sense.

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Feel free to duplicate my mods to the other exchange if you want? best to first review list of mods I uploaded to steam.

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm seeing a lot of players (possibly new) getting confused and not installing the community mod first. There's been a few "It's crashed my game" comments. They just need to learn to read all the descriptions and not rush into subscribing to something.

@IcyHot I to have had those search issues. Gets annoying sometimes.

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's a good idea but the only problem I see is that the XXL mods are mixed up with the XL ones when going the the resource areas front page.

12. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

what can we do then,hopefully most mods will be compatible soon with a few more tweaks by the Altiris.

Those mods that are still issue either the author try and fix, if not get a bunch of new authors to try an fix them? maybe

13. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

What is needed to be done to the buildings that don't work in XXL? Is it the shader? If so how easy is it to upgrade them and would I be able to do it myself?

14. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

all of them need filter tags added
    some of them need tags to changed
    and only a few need a shaderchange, but maybe alt can add this old shader to cm
    so: yes you can do it yourself and its not difficult (in most cases) :)
    uhmm.. did i forget sth?

15. ronrn

ronrn Governor

A Respectful request,

If you guys have a mod here @ XLNation that is the 'same/better/completely different/etc.' or may conflict with the one we download/subscribe to @ Steam and needs to be removed, please, note that in your steam description. Posting the actual name of the mod file would be helpful as well.
    Us users can't identify a steam mod until we - subscribe to it - run the game - close the game - and then check our mods folder to identify it and compare it to our XLN mods. Even then, the only real clues that we have are the version numbers.
    Confusing (sometimes), yes indeed, and leads to a lot of "game time" consuming folder/file management, double menu icons, and even game crashes (as can be seen in both forums) that are often interpreted by users a bigger issue with the game.
    Personally, I prefer getting/managing mods from here @XLN. I am not a Steam fan either. The only reason I subscribe to a mod @steam is because it's not posted here, or ,(based on the steam description) I think/guess that it is an updated version of that mod that I already have from here @XLN.
    With all that said.... I for one appreciate the hard, creative work that is put into modding, and you guys have my thanks.

signed: "just a lowly user" =)

16. psob2

psob2 Vagabond

what ronrn said is how I feel also, he just said it better than I could.

I also prefer getting and managing mods from XLN. do not think steam handles updates properly if the new file has a different version number. would just rather take care of my downloaded mods myself

hope XLN will continue to host files for XXL.

thank you modders for all your work

clerks37 likes this.
  17. clerks37

clerks37 Vagabond

I hate all things steam and that workshop is awful. Right here we have a community site with mods that are easy to find and browse, might be a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. The modders of course have the right to choose which platform to launch the mods from but as the banner on this site says XLNATION Share Extend Enjoy and long may it continue.

18. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I look at the Steam Workshop as a beginner entry tool. It's easy for first time players to add mods to their game without having to dump the patch files into folders themselves. They don't have to worry about having the latest patch as the workshop will upgrade the game if a new updated version is added.

19. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

^ I agree,
    and either use steam workshop or don't - i.e DONT use both

20. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I have a subfolder in my xxl pak folder for mods that I load by hand, and let steam mods have the mod folder all to themselves. I do use both - I just don't comingle them. I have lost a computer to bugs caught through downloads. So I do what I can to protect my investment. I don't download mods made by people whose work I haven't already come to trust and respect on this site.

If I saw a mod (or modder) that was "xlnation certified" on steam, that might asway me. I think xlnation could become the gold standard for cxxl mods.