1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorials Enable Multicore! Support For Cities Xl Platium

3rd Party Tools

1. RealCity

RealCity Executive

RealCity submitted a new resource:

Enable MULTICORE! Support FOR Cities XL - 3rd Party Tools

Read more about this resource...

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Is this a joke?

3. RealCity

RealCity Executive

A friend work in EA told me this trick. You can test it by urself.

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Multi core doesn't work like that, software must be specifically programmed to distribute the processeses.
    To me it looks like you just moved the game's load from CPU0 to CPU3, and considering apps will usually use CPU0 that would explain the marginal performance gain.

I'm not an expert at all but is well known that activating multicore in non multicore applications is not possible, the best you can do is to distribute the load manually setting affinity, which not necessarily will improve performance.

o_O

5. RealCity

RealCity Executive

Thanks for notifying. My friend is not an expert too, he just told me it's a little trick.^^

6. RealCity

RealCity Executive

It's interesting that I do notice a slight improvement on FPS when I load my big city. From the same viewpoint, it increased from 15 to 18. Is that because cpu load is redistributed to more cores? Or is it just an illusion of performance variation of my PC?

7. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

I'm a little bit skeptic but if it actually works it's worth downloading.

8. Ashel

Ashel Skilled Worker

we should to do it every time b4 start to play?

9. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Mr.X² likes this.
  10. Radiant Dawn

Radiant Dawn Elite

Is this process necessary for every time the game is started or do you only do this once?

11. RealCity

RealCity Executive

Yeah, you have to do it everytime

12. dlimpens

dlimpens Executive

I tryed this, but the game slowed down and i had to wait to load menu`s, to place buildings....without it the game works normal - I have an intel core I7....so I don`t use this anymore.

13. marros

marros Unskilled Worker

Yo Corel i7, mi juego es lento, además de tener 16 GB de RAM y 4 GB de vídeo, este método no interrumpe el funcionamiento de mi pc?, Algo, pero no hay manera de que este tutorial fue dado en español, ya que la traducción de google deja muchas lagunas y es difícil de entender qué hacer,

14. cemboa

cemboa Skilled Worker

I hope you find a solution like this for inter core i7. Some cities of the population over the 600.000. Make me crazy about slow game.

15. marros

marros Unskilled Worker

Me abrí la supresión de la shadercache

16. César Morgan

César Morgan Vagabond

I'll add my grain of salt to this...
    There's a difference between talking about Multicore and Multi-thread, and also Parallelization
    An application will support multicore if it's specifically written to leverage the power of multi-core CPUs, say for example, Raytrace Rendering, in which all cores will perform the same task with the same bank of data (each core will process its own fraction of the image)
    There's also Multi-threading, in which an application can start "mini applications" (better known as threads) nested within the same process. Generally, each little app performs one task, say, one thread will control the audio, another will control physics, another could control data flow, etc. Note that I did not mention anything about the CPU and multi-threading, but each thread could be Multi-core optimized if it's made to do so.
    Parallelization is the ability for a task to be completed by several independant workers, like the Raytrace example. Not every task can be parallelized though, if a calculation requires data that is not processed yet, or being processed by another thread.
    The main difference is, Multi-core is about doing one common task with several CPU cores, and Multi-thread is about an application trying to do several tasks. An application that doesn't specifically support multicore may assign all of its threads to the only CPU that the OS assigns to it.
    I think Cities XL might just be a regular Multi-thread application and the underlying Game engine may have support for Multi-core, but could be poorly implemented in Cities XL. By forcing the game to only use the CPU3 you are shifting all the game threads from the heavily loaded CPU0 to a free core, which bumps slightly the response time, because the CPU3 doesn't have to deal with any other concurrent Uni-core applications nor the OS. For the rest, it could be that the game engine senses the shift in core availability and adjusts accordingly. Then, by re-enabling the remaining cores, the game engine senses that again, and adjusts once again to use the rest of the system resources. But, that still might leave the Cities XL threads at CPU3, so you're offloading it a little bit more. Still, a noticeable boost in performance.