1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Everything About Cities: Skylines - Paradox Greets You!

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by TotalyMoo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

I third that :) and fourth :) and fifth :)

2. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Although Paradox Interactive are publishing Cities: Skylines, the developers (Colossal Order from Finland), are a small studio so I'm willing to give them plenty of time before I start demanding anything from them :LOL:
    Colossal Order have admitted that they liked many of the older city builder games and they say that this has influenced some of their ideas for Skylines.
    I've often found that Northern European studios (whether from Poland, Sweden, Finland or Iceland or where ever!) make games in the style that I like so I'm still quite optimistic in regards to Skylines.

3. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Indeed I second that, let's hope they not rush it to much, seems like they will just concentrate on the basics, leave the rest to modding community and there download update paks? sounds ok to me. Just hope they don't leave to much to modders else it may fail first release?
    Also will they have beta testers? I'm sure a few here would like to pre-test a few things.

4. Ole

Ole Executive

So yes, I'd like to have my say in this too :p

Throughout the years I've played Cities XL it has grown from an annoying unrealistic zoning game, to an awesome game that allows you to make almost everything you can come up with.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

Beside this outstanding growth in realism and fun (by modding), some of the most fundamental problems and annoyances where untouched, and thus started to annoy me more and more. Nowadays, when astonishing mods have made this game closer to perfection than any other game so far, these problems and annoyances annoy me even more because they hinder me playing the game like it could have been. In my opinion, and I believe I can say this for everyone on this site, there shouldn't be problems and annoyances this influential on the gameplay no more. Of course I'm talking about the problems and annoyances that make playing Cities XL a pain in the *** from time to time, but also about possible future problems. Of course, this sounds very logical, asking not to put problems in the game, but as seen in Cities XL, some problems cannot be fixed anymore once created.

These are the fundamental problems CXL has:

-no multi-core support (you said you'll fix that, great!)

-collision problems (not allowing to place buildings like you'd like to do, but forcing to build in grids) this was partly fixed in CXL by the many "small-collision mods"

-laggggg

-elevation issues (terrain flooding over roads)

-crashes and save file loss

-ridiculously oversized trees

Okay, that's enough complaining, lemme give you my opinion about must haves now ;)

-normal screenshots and high-resolution screenshots (like in Cities XL)

-no fixed camera angles (like fixed by the "camera mod")

-water placement tool and animated flora and fauna

-close to realism graphics (Monte Cristo (CXL) did a very good job about that, Cities XL is a very realistic game, and became even more realistic with Monty's daylight system mod)

-real world maps and real world landmarks

-sandbox mode

-option to add elevation while building

-handmade parks and squares (like cities XL has ploppable plaza's that fill any space)

-modding support in both 3d mods and game-engine mods

-realistic zoomed-out view (I have CIM 2, and I dislike the zoomed-out view of the city)

Pfff, I must be a pain in the *** with this much complaints and requests :p

P.S. I'm willing to pay more for the game itself, and buy a new version every year as long as there is no paid DLC. I understand that you guys gotta get paid, but paid DLC is just an annoying way of getting more money for less effort ;)

Helter_Skelter and Radiant Dawn like this.
  5. Radiant Dawn

Radiant Dawn Elite

Yeah, not to mention the lack of a functional rail system in CXL!

Which is why I wanted to make a few more requests;
    • A functional rail system (if one isn't already in the works) with realistic train stations.
    • Elevated rail and/or Monorail system.
    • Modern transportation vehicles and technological features.
    • Advanced international airport builder to allow us to make realistic international airports and also allow us to customize them to our liking.
    The more transportation options the better in order to ensure reliable means of transportation for the citizens in our cities and to minimize traffic problems in our cities and thus make a much more travel efficient city.

I also second Ole's suggestions for animated flora and fauna.

Lastly, given the many technical issues already plaguing CXL, I was very disappointed to hear about the possibility that the game might crash with maximum sized maps. Large scale maps is one of the things I was hoping for in a new city building simulation game. Can't you make some twerks to better ensure game functionality with that?

6. TotalyMoo

TotalyMoo Paradox Community Manager

Where did you hear it might crash with maximum sizes? This is not correct. The simulation & game should run smoothly without any issues even if your city size is as large as can be.

7. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I think they or someone said they can't guarantee mega population sizes, not map sizes, as each person is an object of some sort! ?

8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Any Taxi's cars company?

10. Radiant Dawn

Radiant Dawn Elite

Someone said that game functionality is not guaranteed if you unlock and select maximum map size.

11. TotalyMoo

Well, if you unlock our max limits and go outside what we're aiming for we cant guarantee complete functionality in all aspects no. But this should be relatively obvious, as we need to set some kind of scope for the game :)

nicko2u likes this.
  12. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I totally agree you can't please everyone, what do you think the min software/hardware specs might be? what are best specs? any cool features engine features that use modern grapich/cpu hardware etc. ?

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

What are the PC System Requirements?

Minimum:

• Processor: 2 GHz Dual core
      • Memory: 3 GB RAM
      • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 8800, 512 MB RAM or ATI Radeon HD 3850, 512 MB RAM
      • DirectX: Version 9.0
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection
      • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
    Recommended:

• Processor: 3 GHz Quad core
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX460, 1 GB RAM or AMD Radeon HD 6850, 1 GB RAM
      • DirectX: Version 9.0
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection
      • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

14. pamungkas11

pamungkas11 Vagabond

Sometimes i wonder Simcity 2013 combine with Cities XL Platinum
    That would be nice (i think) (y)

No more memory leak and i hope you can increase the scale of map, bigger than simcity 4 and Flight Simulator X :D

15. prismaticmarcus

prismaticmarcus Unskilled Worker

i'm not sure that twerking would help :D

AzemOcram and snick like this.
  16. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

The area over which players can choose where to build the playable area is supposedly 5x5 of 2x2 km tiles however, by default (without mods), the player/mayor can only utilize up to 9 of these tiles. That means that with mods, the size of a city in Cities: Skylines can be up to the size of a Cities XL city with an apron around it but by default, it will be up to 9/25 of the size. However, I am sure that it will be fun at whatever size. I think that a fun game mode would be to have 2 players share a map but must trade with each other utilizing separate city tiles. This game mode I just thought up would then have up to 18 of the 25 tiles used up but I doubt it will ever be implemented.

--Ocram

17. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

The total playable area is 36km sq made up of 9 tiles. Those with beefy computers can select an option to use more than the 9 default tiles.

18. pamungkas11

pamungkas11 Vagabond

How about river?
    I mean, if the city has no river the flood will occur

19. Monty

Monty Governor

The game seems to be delevoping quite nicely, and kudos to the team for great PR skills and fluent communication with the players. The base game is looking quite solid and interesting enough to be inmersive, which is fundamental to develop a modding community and a DLC market around a game. Sure, there are limitations and our wishlist is never ending, but it's more about how far we can go from this starting point.

Keep the good work!

Rene, Helter_Skelter and kipate like this.
  20. TotalyMoo

Oh you, now I'm blushing ~

Honestly though, even though we too consider ourselves pretty darn awesome I hope this doesn't prevent feedback from coming through. We want you all to know that all your opinions, be they positive, negative, doubtful, neutral, confused, angry or whatever are welcome and listened to. The wishlist is long, yes, and we won't be able to deliver everything. Some people will end up disappointed, others will think it's the best thing to happen since some dude around the Euphrates thought "hey, maybe we should start grouping houses together?" - you're all equally valuable to us, because we're set on delivering a kick-ass game and continue evolving it until, one glorious day, the community will settle down and feel totally at peace with the universe.

Okay I have no idea what happened there. Holidays rant, yo.

royb 98, IcyHot and prismaticmarcus like this.