1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi-jacking Mods

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Rascal, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Rascal

Rascal Vagabond

CLM ... I guess you either love it or hate it ... it's that kind of mod, but for me anything that adds more depth to the simulation is an absolute "must have", and this is one of the best.

However, nothing is perfect, especially when you are as picky as me, and since the original author of this mod appears to have been inactive for quite some time, I have some thoughts about updating it that I'd like to share with the community, and also some questions to ask.

This is all basically about a project I started for my own use but as I thought about what I needed to do I realised it might also be worth sharing ... so let's see. Here is what I think:

1. OFFICES SHOULD BE AFFECTED BY CRIME

Why would only Hotels and Retail be the only building types to worry about Security? Offices, especially at the high end, would surely be concerned by being situated in a lawless district.

2. INDUSTRY AND LOW INCOME HOUSING SHOULD GENERATE CRIME

Seems obvious, particularly for High Density

3. CLM SHOULD BE MERGED WITH HEM

Yeah OK .. what??? ... but the first thing that leapt out at me while trawling through the patch files, is that the activation of the core game code that enables the mod's basic functionality ... Crime effect, Security layer, Entertainment ... is in fact handled by the UIM, (At least that is the assumption I am working on ... I would like to know more about this if anybody can enlighten me please) and this is something it has in common with another mod of similar ilk ... the HEM.(Although in the case of HEM it appears a layer has been replaced or edited? Something else I would like to learn more about)

As the only 2 mods that make this kind of change to the gameplay (that I know of .. again if I am wrong please enlighten me), and with both having inactive authors (and needing a little updating), combining them into a single patch just seems to be common sense to me, especially given that the first 2 changes I want to make mean that every building from the game will now be modified by the updated CLM, so why not simply include the HEM changes and avoid all sorts of complications in the future.

4. SPORT LEISURE BUILDINGS SHOULD INCREASE HEALTH SATISFACTION

No brainer?

5.MORE INCENTIVE TO BUILD PUBLIC LEISURE FACILITIES

This was the one that started it all. When building my first cities, I could not find a reason to build leisure facilities which cost the city money, when everything I needed could be achieved by using Private Leisure which made heaps of money at the cost of a little crime. This led to some frustration as I ended up with nothing but pubs and burger bars because I could not bring myself to build a structure that would cost me thousands per month with no discernable advantage. Police Stations worked out cheaper :)

Then I realised that the Leisure Satisfaction Layer is distinct from Leisure as a resource, meaning a building could potentially have a high output of Leisure as a resource (thus satisfying demand in the budget panel) but have a very low (or none) effect on Leisure satisfaction for the citizens (or vice versa)

If Private Leisure produced more resource than satisfaction, while Public buildings produced little resource but higher satisfaction, then the mechanics of the game would automatically tend to limit the amount of Private Leisure your city could support while forcing you to build a least some public facilities to satisfy the residents.

so, that is a few of things I want to do. I have other ideas but this is a long enough post as it is, but it does lead me to to 2 final questions:

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS THAT THEY WOULD LIKE INCLUDED?

and most important of all:

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY OBJECTIONS TO ME HI-JACKING THOSE 2 MODS?

2. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

I suppose so long as you add something substantial to it, then there's nothing wrong. Just make sure to credit soltan gris when you upload it.