1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Download Mods ._.

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by TheBoss24, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

I know this question probably always pops up on this website, but im just going to make this thread so if i need to ask questions, I can. Anyhoo. I tried doing what the tutorial showed me, but of course it didnt work... (im a complete computer noob also) so yea... somone pls give me a easy but yet detailed list on how to download the mods. Be specific, because like i said, im a complete computer noob. And of course, if you have any questions. ask away! Thanks...

Oh, and im trying to download a mod that enhances the brightness of city lights at night as my first mod to test out how to mod...

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Isn't there a sticky thread about this somewhere? maybe not.

Anways.
    1. click the XLEX link in the top menu bar.
    2. then either filter sub categories by clicking on a link in the left column, under categories.
    3. should display a list of mods in that category, click a mod title to view it details.
    4. If you like the mod click the Download Dow button - usually located in the top right of screen.
    5. Save the patch file to your desktop or download folder. then copy the file to your citiesXl/Paks/Mods/ folder. Create the /Mods directory if you haven't already.
    6. Sometimes a download mod might be zipped, you will need to unzip the files/.patches

3. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

So do i just make a folder and drop it into the paks and then put mods in it and thats it?

4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yep
    and for user interface mod just follow the instructions

5. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

Also. Does it always have to be unzipped? Is it being zipped is a bad thing? And how would i unzip it.

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

if you download *.patch or *.pak files, just put them into your /paks/mods folder
    if you download *.zip, *.rar or *.7z unpack them with winrar or 7zip and then put the patch files inside into your /paks/mods folder
    just search on the web for winrar or 7zip and follow the instructions given on their website
    and nope, zipped files arent a bad thing ;)

7. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

Alright. So how do i know if its a .patch or .zip or whatever.

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

9. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Just look at the file description. If it says .patch, it's good to go in the paks/mods folder. Otherwise, if it's .zip or .rar, you need to do what X said, unzip/extract the patch files.