1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Download Mods ._.

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by TheBoss24, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

I know this question probably always pops up on this website, but im just going to make this thread so if i need to ask questions, I can. Anyhoo. I tried doing what the tutorial showed me, but of course it didnt work... (im a complete computer noob also) so yea... somone pls give me a easy but yet detailed list on how to download the mods. Be specific, because like i said, im a complete computer noob. And of course, if you have any questions. ask away! Thanks...

Oh, and im trying to download a mod that enhances the brightness of city lights at night as my first mod to test out how to mod...

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Isn't there a sticky thread about this somewhere? maybe not.

Anways.
    1. click the XLEX link in the top menu bar.
    2. then either filter sub categories by clicking on a link in the left column, under categories.
    3. should display a list of mods in that category, click a mod title to view it details.
    4. If you like the mod click the Download Dow button - usually located in the top right of screen.
    5. Save the patch file to your desktop or download folder. then copy the file to your citiesXl/Paks/Mods/ folder. Create the /Mods directory if you haven't already.
    6. Sometimes a download mod might be zipped, you will need to unzip the files/.patches

3. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

So do i just make a folder and drop it into the paks and then put mods in it and thats it?

4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yep
    and for user interface mod just follow the instructions

5. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

Also. Does it always have to be unzipped? Is it being zipped is a bad thing? And how would i unzip it.

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

if you download *.patch or *.pak files, just put them into your /paks/mods folder
    if you download *.zip, *.rar or *.7z unpack them with winrar or 7zip and then put the patch files inside into your /paks/mods folder
    just search on the web for winrar or 7zip and follow the instructions given on their website
    and nope, zipped files arent a bad thing ;)

7. TheBoss24

TheBoss24 Vagabond

Alright. So how do i know if its a .patch or .zip or whatever.

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

9. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Just look at the file description. If it says .patch, it's good to go in the paks/mods folder. Otherwise, if it's .zip or .rar, you need to do what X said, unzip/extract the patch files.