1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL How to rename a city in XXL

Discussion in 'Game Play Support' started by Bannor, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

Hello there

I have created a 'template' city that has a road network that I want to use to build several cities (these cities will all be based on the same map and road network). To create more cities to work with, I copied the entire 'template city' save folder several times (I will use it to build several cities).

My problem is that I now need to rename each duplicate in order to tell which is when in the trading screen.

There is a tutorial on this site (I cannot post a link to it 'cos I'm still a new member) for XL on how to change the city name, posted by yoavaviv, where he / she advises to edit the 'checkpoint.cxl' file - find the current city name in this file, change it as desired, save and close. I've done this to each cxl file in each subfolder as well as the 'main' save folder for the duplicated city - but in the game the city name is unchanged.

I can get the name of the save folders in the game to change, but not the city name itself.

Any suggestions?

2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Go to:
    C:\Users\urname\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XXL\live\offline\solo\nameofmap#map##\auto ....and open the file "checkpoint.cxl" with notepad.
    Somewhere around line 240, you will find the name of your city. Just type in any new name and save.

3. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

The key is CityName in the file indicated above. It is near the end of the file.

4. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

Thanks for your replies, but that's what I've done. When I start the game, a new set of saves are presented (with the new city name) which I can load from if I choose - but the actual name of the city itself is unchanged. This is a problem because, if I want to trade, or synchronise cities, the game is confused about *which* city I want to trade / synchronise with - because I effectively have 2 cities with the same city name (even though they have different save folder names).

I just can't seem to be able to get this to work. :(

5. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

To be clear - I've done this:
    "Go to:
    C:\Users\urname\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XXL\live\offline\solo\nameofmap#map##\auto ....and open the file "checkpoint.cxl" with notepad.
    Somewhere around line 240, you will find the name of your city. Just type in any new name and save."

What happens is, when I go in the game, there are indeed 2 different save folders to choose from (with correct city names). They each contain the same number of game-saves, all with the same save-names (which is to be expected, of course) - but if I load either city, play a bit and then save again (creating another, new save) - this new save gets added to *BOTH* save folders - I can load the other city, and load the SAME game save that I just created!
    Also, in the trading screen, only ONE of the cites appears; the other does not. I cannot trade with it.

Please guys, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

6. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Before starting game.
    Try going to the "solo" folder:
    Leave these files intact:
    adat.cxl
    solocfg.cxl
    tradematrix.cxl

Delete all of these files:
    mapnameorsimilar_slotmap.cxl
    Start game.

7. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

I've noticed that on the 'My Cities' tab, on the main page, all my cities appear - but only those I have actually created from scratch have a 'position' on the game world (globe). Clicking on them in the list of city names will take you to the location of that city on the globe. The duplicated cities however, do not seem to have any kind of position - clicking on the city name does nothing. They also do not appear on the Trading screen which also appears here. Perhaps this might help someone to understand what the problem is.....

Thanks for your suggestions - Ok, I've delete the other files, the game merely re-created them. Nothing else changed - the problem still exists. :(

I really want to get into this game, and try several things in it - if I can get my cities to cooperate, that is.

8. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

How do you delete / edit one's own messages here? Tells me 'time limit expired'...?!?

9. ronrn

ronrn Governor

You can't delete any massages but you can request to have it removed with the "report" button.

Each new map/city is assigned a "slot" on the globe. Deleting the slotmap.cxl files will let the game re-assign new slots for each city on start-up. This may (or may not) fix your issue.

10. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

That's the same suggestion you gave in your previous post, or are you referring to other files? If the former, I've already done that - the game merely recreated them all. Nothing else changed. If the latter, please explain further.

Anything else I can try?
    What can you tell me about the structure / contents of each individual save (sub) folder? Anything there I should look at?

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I was just trying to clarify the reasoning of my previous suggestion. Sorry it didn't work.

12. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

Thanks, no worries! :)
    Another thing I've noticed, on the 'choose your map' screen (when creating a new city from scratch), why do some maps have 'Slots Open: 0%' while others have (mostly) 'Slots Open: 100%'? The particular map I 'cloned' has 0% slots open. Could this also have something to do with my problem?

13. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

You can only have two cities in one slot, usually the same map.
    But some user created maps use the same slot number as one of the built in maps,
    This was a poor design trying to use the globe positions.
    The game implimenters should have either just picked an empty slot for each new city or dynamically allocated entries for each slot.

14. Bannor

Bannor Unskilled Worker

@Skater27 - so this could be the cause of my problem? I have copied the same city (map) several times; the game will allow me to use only the first two of them? The rest are ignored?

15. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

An aside to this slot system;
    If two different maps are using the same slot index and you use the start over feature on the save dialog it may switch the map on you.
    And if you have tunnels, start over converts them to canyons.