1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

CXL Platinum Install/re-install Questions

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by gecko001, Jan 31, 2015.

1. gecko001

gecko001 Skilled Worker

Hi. If I wanted to uninstall then re-install Platinum, what data (files or folders) should I save in order to save my installed mods, built cities, etc? I'm thinking the .../paks/XLNUIMFeatures and .../paks/mod folders should be saved, for the UIM and for the other mods I've enjoyed.
    I think the cities are stored in "C:\Users\[my_name]\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2012\live\offline\solo".
    Would these three locations be enough to save all my work? (as opposed to the program files)
    Also, when I reinstall, could I then simply copy over these three folders to their proper locations, and thus have my same cities, in their same maps, with the same mods I had before?
    TIA, gecko001

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Its what I did but I ran into issues. My old cities would not load so I don't know what went wrong.

3. gecko001

gecko001 Skilled Worker

Bummer. I don't suppose you were going from, say, 2012 to Platinum? That might explain why the cities didn't load. I was hoping to be able to save, uninstall, then re-install, then finally copy over the save files/folders. Hmmm. I wonder what we're missing or not thinking of?

4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

i wouldnt keep uim installation, just reinstall it ;)
    jep, just save your mods folder (or all mods you have; dont forget rhm2 etc which go into another folder by default) and save C:\Users\[my_name]\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL 2012\live\offline\solo
    after youve reinstalled cxl move these folders back into their original location

thats what ive done recently when moving cxl from desktop pc to laptop and it worked without any problems (of course i cant guarantee anything :p )

5. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

I would also clear the shadercache just in case.

6. gecko001

gecko001 Skilled Worker

Great idea to reinstall UIM: that mod probably makes changes in the program directories. Maybe that's what tripped up skullz. I don't know where the shader cache is. If I find it, I'll proceed with the uninstall/reinstall, and let you know how it went.

7. Skater27

Skater27 Executive

Shadercache is at C:\Users\YOURID\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XL ...\live\shadercache

8. gecko001

gecko001 Skilled Worker

Thanks for the shadercache location info. I'll clear it out.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's what I was doing, 2012 to Platinum. I have also reinstalled 2012 before after setting up my new PC and my old cities wouldn't work. I had backed up everything that your suppose to but no luck.
    I will at some point play around with setting citiesXL up on a virtual PC and see if I can successfully transfer my latest cities as a test.

10. gecko001

gecko001 Skilled Worker

So, I did the uninstall: I backed up the ../mods folder, and the ../solo (cities) folder, and deleted all ../shadercache files. The game started up, and I saw my cities listed in the World view. I haven't yet reinstalled UIM or copied over any mods, so I did not try to load one of my cities (I figure it is a risk of crashing).
    Instead started a new city, just to see if the game functioned normally. Oddly, all three densities for all four residents are available; also, all utilities and transportation options, which should not be available when you start a new city, are available: I'd had Expert Mode set prior to the uninstall. My other settings in the Options menu were untouched as well. Obviously, the AppData folder was untouched by the new install.
    I'll go forward with the fresh install of UIM and copy over the mods I want to keep as well. This would appear to be a success.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the config for the options are created when you change them in the game and not created during an install. That will be why your settings are still there.