1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Maps Island Of Kauai Request

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Artmaster, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Hello,

I've been to this island twice and it's very beautiful and diverse in it's landscape. I imagine this map wouldn't be very hard to make until the modder reached the western side where pinnacles of rock spire upward making an impossible coast to inhabit. There is also a 'mini' grand canyon with tropical plants growing in it and astounding views. In the center there is an old crater that is completely overgrown with jungle and swarming with waterfalls. It would be amazing if someone were to make this island into one map, I would if I could.

Here's a map with the basic idea:

kauai-map6.jpg

Here are the spires on the west coast:
    IMG_8853.jpg

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well we can but it would not be to scale. The mountains could be tricky. Moran is good at making these types of mountains so he might be the best one to do this map.

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I decided to have a go using the method Moran uses and after a huge battle with the programs needed to use the DEM files I came up with this.
    levelscreen0002.jpg
    Its not to scale as the real island is way to big. I zoomed in as far as possible to create a decent size.
    It's turned out pretty good. The game has flattened some of the features.
    Here's a few more screenshots.

11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg

4. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks great skullz. You could try putting a clamp device after the erosion. Then pipe a layout generator into the mask input of the clamp device and draw when you want the mountains higher. Then open the clamp ddevice and use the expand option. Or even try it without the layout generator.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Cheers for the hint. I backed the erosion down a fair bit as it was destroying the lower areas to much. I think I might of restricted the altitude scaling of the input file to much.
    I've finished making the map at the heights in the images above. It lets players use most of the mountains to build on. I'm going to play around with another version with the mountains roughly the height they should be.

6. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

You can pipe a layout generator into the mask input of the erosion device so that only the mountains have erosion, leaving the coastline untouched.

7. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Holy smokes! Skullz613 that looks incredible...I spent my entire day watching Funky's tutorials and trying to learn how to do this and all I came up with after 12 hours is this:

myattempt1.jpg

I did manage to create the spires to a degree:
    myattempt2.jpg

I managed to get into the game only to find it was covered in a rock texture and the game had flipped it backwards, not to mention it rounded out many edges, not sure why about the last one. However, with the work week approaching I will not be able to invest time into this and after seeing the awesomeness by Skullz I don't think I need too!

BTW those tutorials are great, but World Machine has a huge learning curve or at least navigating it is very difficult for me.

Can't wait to play that map! :D And if I can make one suggestion...Kauai is made up of red dirt and vast palate of emerald green, I wouldn't use that rock texture, if it can be replaced with say a canyon-palate feature that would be more accurate. Here are two photos I took while there for example:

Looking from the famous look out toward the west pacific...very lush and tropical.
    kauai1.jpg
    Looking on the other side and there is the grand canyon of the pacific...much different.
    kauai2.jpg

cityguru likes this.
  8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good attempt for a beginner. It just takes a bit of practice when it comes to World Machine. I'm still learning myself. Funky knows a lot more about World Machine than I do and might know how to get around the rock issue. No matter what I do with textures though, the game always over rides them when it comes to steep cliffs or mountains.
    I'm releasing the one I have made but will be making another version with higher mountains. I will also see what can be done with the textures.

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

The rock texture is where the shadowmap comes in. Open the shadowmap in Photoshop and create a new layer, now fill it with a light purple. Merge the layers and then do the alpha map part. If you want a little bit of rock to show through, lower the opacity on the new layer then merge.

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahhh, I remember you saying that before. I'll give it a go on this new version.
    By the way I am using only an input file (TIFF) which has been made from a DEM. All I have done is controlled the overall height and changed the colors a little. Moran told me how he was getting his mountains to look the way that they do so I decided to use his method to do this island.
    This one that I currently have in World Machine, is pretty much spot on as the island is in real life. Remember that its not to scale due to the real island being bigger than 10km x 10km.
    v2.JPG

Artmaster likes this.
  11. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Dude that is awesome! Only thing that can make that perfect is some nice sandy beaches on the shoreline... So excited to play that map! :D :D :D

12. cityguru

cityguru Unskilled Worker

holy sh^€ awesome map artmaster. i like that map. Can you make a UIM version of that?

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Skullz made it and it is UIM.