1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Creation

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Nightcrawler, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Guest

Dear community,

Is there any tutorial around on how to get worldmachine generated terrains into CXL as a working map?

Thanks in advance

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm actually very slowly making a new tutorial. If you need a hand just PM me.

Here's the videos I made if you want. Part 3 is just a procedural world in WM.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

ngmthang and FerroSulaco like this.
  3. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Guest

Awesome!

The Funky Monk likes this.
  4. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to make a map in the old funkymonk's tutorial... thanks a lot for this tuto wich makes map creation almost possible! But I still have a problem I'm unable to resolve... How can I define the water areas... I mean, not the water resource but the water areas where to place buildings on the sea. As I'm replacing a default map to create my own, the water area is pre-define and doesn't match at all with what I expect.
    Could anyone help me please?

5. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

When you add the files in the map editor, you add all the resources for that map. If you leave them blank then you get the default resource areas like you have. So, white is where the resource goes and black is no resource. If you want to define specific areas I stead of covering the whole map then you open your colourmap in a photo editor, create a new layer, fill it with black then lower the opacity and draw where you want the resource with white. When you have done that make the opacity 100% and flip the image horizontally.

FerroSulaco likes this.
  6. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

Thanks for your answer, but the water resource is ok, I understand how to define the resources areas. I just have problems defining the aera of sea and rivers in order to place building that can be placed over waters (like marinas or the american houses overwater from the special menu). I don't know if I'm clear because of my approximative english. When I create a map, my sea and rivers areas keeps the rivers and sea areas of the original map I use. The CXL map editor doesn't offer to define such an area... it's probably possible to create a dds. file to define it but I don't know where to place it... sorry for my poor english, I hope you understand what I mean!
    I think your original tutorial is clear enough to create maps, why making a new one?

7. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I remember Skullz told me how to do that but I forget. I don't do it I just have the full resource button turned on in the planet view. See what Skullz has to say.

New and better ways of doing things. I'm also going to show people how to set up world machine and create a startup file so when you open WM your outputs are ready to go.

FerroSulaco likes this.
  8. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

Good idea... thanks for the advice, I'm going to ask Skullz for the water area.

9. FerroSulaco

FerroSulaco Unskilled Worker

How did you go with the water area Ziz?

10. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

In fact, I don't have THE solution. I noticed I need to use an original map with all resources enabled in order to implement the resources on my own. The water area is exactly the same as the original map when I test it as a patch file from the map editor but then, it often deals with what I defined when I save it as a real project. The problem is that the resources areas doesn't match with what I defined everytime. So, I need to save many times before it deals exactly with my parameters... and it's hard to get all areas like I defined them... probably a bug, I don't really know, maybe something I'm doing wrong... I have to be patient!

11. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

FerroSulaco likes this.
  12. FerroSulaco

FerroSulaco Unskilled Worker

Hiya! So I have a map that I want to share, but I get confused when it gets to the pak/unpak bit. I've opened the map in CitiesXL and it all works, I just want to fix up the icon and share it.

13. zizaro

zizaro Unskilled Worker

I've never shared a map, so I can't help you for this. I suppose the icon is the dds file you create with photoshop from a screenshot of you map. Funky's tuto explains that part (256*256) and you import it as all the other files in the pak/unpak. Then you'll get your icon in the map menu in cities XL. Sorry if my answer is not appropriate...

14. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes as zizaro said. Also you don't need to use the program that I use in the tutorial. Use Cities XL PakUnpack v1.3.0 instead. All you need to do is compress the data folder. It's much easier.

15. Mitchell Ong

Mitchell Ong Unskilled Worker

I Truly hope this thread is still active. Here's my problem. I get everything made and put together, compress the data folder, save patch, load game, CRASH!!!!!!

16. ronrn

ronrn Governor

What kind of map are you making, XL or XXL?
    Are you using the old or new Map Editor?
    It may help to post the crash's .log file also, or just the last few lines of it.