1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Migration Issues And Decisions

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Aug 21, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Let me start by saying this. It is possible to migrate all the data to XenFORO, the question comes down to how much time, money, and effort you wish to spend?

This weekend I am going to attempt to migrate XLNation Forums to the XenFORO forums. The wife is away and I have lots of time. I will use the Drupal >> phpBB3 >> XenFORO migration path using FREE software. This would not be the final migration but will demonstate if it can be done. If it works we can exam the results and see how many problems we have to deal with. We can decide if it's "good enough" or consider other options.

Now notice I did not mention the City Journals or XLEX, that is a whole other can of worms I will talk about shortly.

The City Journals and XLEX. That part of XLNation is not a user Forum but an addon module of Drupal (at least I think it is) with its own database. The resource manager of XenFORO is an add-on as well. There is no migration path available via free software that I can find.

1. The XLEX could easily be manually recreated on the new site, heck I did a few myself to test. Get a few people together and knock it out. Granted all the discussions would be gone but the important stuff would be there. Moderators could easily "re-assign" the resources to the original owner if they still exist once they get on the new website

2. There are tons of City Journals and those are way more complicated since the discussion threads are a big part of the CJ experience. I dont see anyway to manually migrate them without third party help.

I know of a webmaster that converted from Drupal to XenFORO successfully using a company called gConverter. I have contacted them and now I am waiting for a formal price quote. Their price quote is based in part on the number of users, topics, posts etc to be migrated. Right now we are looking at around $200 - $250. If we purged the users database the costs would drop a lot. I am willing to cover this cost myself.

The issue is migration of CJ and XLEX data, that will cost even more since its a specialized migration. The community will need to decide on the value of the CJs, and the XLEX discussion data vs the cost to migrate. This cost I cannot cover myself.

Some thoughts:
    1. Is it really necessary to migrate 78,000 + users? I would suggest purging out anyone that has not logged into their account in the last two years?

2. Stick with Drupal and just upgrade the Software. That would be easy.

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

For the XLEX I personally wouldn't care if the comments were not migrated. Sure, there are some funny comments but they aren't really important.

CJ's comments are important as some people post new pics on the comments instead of updating in the OP. Then again, maybe it's stiff shit as they should do it properly.

I doubt we have had 20,000 active users over the last 2 years, so getting rid of the rest wouldn't bother me.

Guess we would need to see how much it will all cost to see if it's worthwhile. I'm sure we could gather up the funds required to do this through a donation pack. Personally I would throw in some cash regardless.

Finally, you can't take this away from us man. It's too nice and spiffy. It's like test driving a Ferrari then driving home in your Chrysler. Utter dissapointment. :D

Oh, I uploaded a map to see what the process was like. It's really good. I did try to delete it but it wouldn't let me.

nicko2u likes this.
  3. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

(Kicking and Screaming) XLNation on Drupal version 6.22, released May 5, 2011.

4. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I take it that's bad.

5. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Its just a little bit out of date ;)

6. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Will that affect the migration though?

7. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Status of what happened today:

This evening I installed phpBB to XLNation. My goal was to try the "FREE" migration method. I needed a working copy of phpBB in order to migrate the Drupal Database to phpBB. (XenFORO has a native importer to convert from phpBB3 to XenFORO.) Well guess what? None of these Drupal to phpBB migration programs work with v6.xx. I also found out that XLNation will have to upgrade to Drupal v6.28 in order to then upgrade to the v7.xx series first released in May 2011.

I don't think Hyperwolf has the time or desire to migrate XLNation down the Drupal pathway. That leaves us with the gConverter folks. I am in contact with them to nail down a cost. They tried to examine the server this morning but as we know it was having issues. There is still hope since they have migrated a v6.xx Drupal site to XenFORO in the past.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

8. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Just got the following email from gConverter.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your email. We can migrate Drupal Forum section to the XenForo installation.

This is the one of our most popular conversion service and we have a very large experience in migrating discussion boards especially to XenForo. We don’t use any converter tools made by Drupal or XenForo developers, because all those have many issues and unresolved problems. All Drupal boards are unique and should be converted to XenForo using a script developed and adapted especially for current case and current versions, so you’ll get a semi-handmade XenForo forum with all basic components listed here: http://gconverters.com/convert-drupal-forum-to-xenforo/

Regarding to the very popular issue related to the user passwords. Because of all discussion boards use different encryption logic that’s impossible to keep the same user passwords on the target forum board. We have developed a solution to solve this issue, it doesn’t keep the same passwords but it generates those randomly for each user. After the conversion we will provide you with gConverter tool to send these new passwords to owners with their email addresses, so you will just click on "send new passwords" button and all users will get "New Password Notification" email, thus they will be able to login with their username and new passwords without any problem.

Regarding to the conversion duration. It’ll not take 1-2 hours, because we don’t just run some unintuitive script and wait for conversion end. Our conversion process based on four parts (review, coding, conversion, testing). First we review all data in source forum, finding all issues, damaged data, tables and optimizing those. Then we adapt our converter scripts to your source forum database, this is a simple script coding part. And then we do the conversion. The conversion first result always has small bugs so we have a special stuff for testing the target forum and checking all issues. They find all issues and provide with this list to our converter stuff. This is the last part and we work together to get the best result on XenForo. The duration of all those parts is about3-4 days.

Cost of our “Drupal to XenForo” conversion service is $220 (up to 100K posts).You only pay after conversion is done and the result is approved by you.

If the downtime of the source forum is very important for you we can work with “Two Parts” option:

You don’t close your forum during the conversion, we do the work within about 3-4 days, and then you check the target XenForo forum. If anything is good for you, you close your forum for 4-6 hours to allow us migrate new topics/posts added during the conversion to target forum. Then you’ll be able to make it live (move to live directory) and open. However the data update will cost you 20% of the main conversion cost: $45. The total cost will be $220+$45 = $265

Please let us know if you’d like us to work with this option.

Our support is available seven days a week. We will help you until your issue is resolved (if there is) - whether it is a pre-service issue, a problem during the conversion or concerns after the conversion is complete and payment has been received.

As for the access data. The Drupal admin account is not required, in order to do this conversion we’ll need following data:

• Drupal database backup file
    • Drupal FTP access (for file attachments migration)
    • XenForo phpMyAdmin login details
    • XenForo FTP access
    • XenForo administrator login details

As for the City Journals migration. In order to estimate this work, we need to know a bit more about it. Particularly, we need to know how exactly must be converted each Journal component to the XenForo add-on. Therefore, you’ll need to install that plugin, configure it and create a couple of example so that we understand conversion login and create an appropriate script.

--

Thank you

Developer at gConverter

Eric White

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Currently we have just over 70,000 posts.
    It's not really that much considering what needs to be done and it won't take too long either. I though it would be dearer and take longer.

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

You prb discussed this already, I see you have Resources and Xl exchange, what's the difference between the two?

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

After the conversion we will provide you with gConverter tool to send these new passwords to owners with their email addresses, so you will just click on "send new passwords" button and all users will get "New Password Notification" email, thus they will be able to login with their username and new passwords without any problem.

As long as the email problem is solved by then.

12. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

who cares I can login :)

13. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

In my opnion, we shall just move the interesting or importart things. The things like log solving should be not moved. And also ancient threads. Maybe just move the sticky threads.

14. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's not a bad idea regarding sticky threads. So many useless threads over there.

15. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

They are the same thing actually, Resource is just the top level name.

Resource
    --> XL Exchange
    --> Sub Categories​
    --> City Journals
    --> Tutorials​

16. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

There is something to be said about a Fresh Start :rolleyes:

17. Monty

Monty Governor

Well, I partly agree with that. There is a lot of stuff that really don't worth to be transfered. Maybe doing a massive purge of content on the old site before the migration?

nicko2u likes this.
  18. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Or we could sticky the ones we want to keep.

19. Monty

Monty Governor

Who needs counting threads (9766 posts) , mystery city threads (3359 posts), city chain (3065 posts)? Those need to go.

Inan and nicko2u like this.
  20. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah fair point.

Should I go deleting now or you think that it will draw attention?