1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Monorail (XXL only) 1.1

A monorail system for XXL

1. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

@domengzu , yeah! it works by doing what you say. I downloaded the no-collision for bridges mod and a couple of bridges paks and voila! I had no problem placing monorail stations. It must be the no collision mod that made it work cause I could place a station right on top of an existing building and there were no problems :b2:

Thanks for the help!!! :agnes3:

OmniusPrime and domengzu like this.
  2. luiscarlos137

luiscarlos137 Unskilled Worker

no logro hacer que funcione

3. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

Has bajado non-collision mod for bridges? (para puentes no para edificios). A mi me funciono con eso y antes de eso en ningun mapa ni aunque jugase en modo sandbox funcionaba. Yo tengo XXL, no se cual version del juego tienes tu. En XXL con eso funciona. Tambien tengo todas las community mods al dia, las voy actualizando segun los modders van añadiendo. Igual eso tambien es necesario, no lo se
    PS.- perdon por la falta de acentos (ordenador japones)

4. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I wish we could get rid of some pillars, very tough to run the line along avenues when making turns. Plus crossing expressways is tough since they're so wide. I discovered that we can have a maximum of 50 stations per line. I wonder if the placeholders count against this limit? Looks like placeholders may be indispensable in making tighter turns. I discovered the 20x20 placeholder decoration is the perfect distance away for placing stations away from large avenues to not have the pillars land on the avenue.

mrmnts likes this.
  5. ryankoo

ryankoo Executive

I need help, can not delete those things.
    [​IMG]

6. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

Did you see step 3 of the instructions?

kipate and ryankoo like this.
  7. ryankoo

ryankoo Executive

Oh sorry I've read but do not understand and do not know this step mentioned what I need. I'll try. Thanks a lot!

But, how can delete it if I already built it?

8. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

You should be able to delete it by selecting the rail and press delete. If the placeholder is still there, try restarting the game (but save your progress), or load one of your earlier saves if possible. Unfortunately, you can't delete the placeholder without deleting your rail.

When you place the rail, hold the SHIFT key and drag it down a little with your mouse, then click.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  9. ryankoo

ryankoo Executive

Unluckily no, I've deleted all the rail and the stations too, but the placeholder is still there. Haven't restarting the game yet but I'll try and update later.

10. luis diogo

luis diogo Elite

It seems the placeholder don't identify when selected.
    But if you click on it and then the delete key, it will disappear.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  11. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Here's a video I just made about my 42 station monorail system in my new Paris city. I've never had to hold down the Shift key to successfully place track. You only place placeholders when you place a track terminal not on a pre-built station. Just connect your stations carefully. I take about a 16 minute joy ride around my Paris city on the monorail.

kipate likes this.
  12. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Monty,
    I found a major bug with the monorail. I built my monorail before building any other mass transit, specifically a metro system. When I went to lay out a metro system I discovered that I can't cross a metro track across a monorail track. I tested it both ways and one precludes the other. I don't know why an above ground elevated monorail system would interfere with an underground metro track system but they do conflict so that we can only have one or the other. I do have the no-collision mod for buildings.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I hope there is a solution so that we can cross metro and monorail tracks. It's not easy to make a monorail system that doesn't cross a metro system. I sure hope someone can fix this so there's no collision problems between monorail and metro as both as really needed.

13. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ryankoo,
    It looks like you placed placeholders along the line to better guide the track. You have to rely on station placement to guide the track so the track doesn't cross roads. You have to lay the track out from station to station, not placing a track terminal between stations the way you did to create all of those ugly placeholders. You'll have to delete the whole line to get rid of the placeholders, perhaps separately.

14. ryankoo

ryankoo Executive

@luis diogo thank you, it worked like a charm.
    Just click on the placeholder and press delete, yes the placeholder is not selected but still can delete it!

@OmniusPrime yes i guide the track to run along the street, but it is ok now, thank you!

And, it is not the bug what you said, because i think the monorail is developed base on the original metro system, and the game see it as a metro line, so you can not let the monorail across the metro line. The only thing to across the line, that is the monorail station and metro station must be located at one place.

15. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ryankoo,
    After thinking about it last night I realized that both monorail and metro are considered metro lines which can't cross except at stations. You can't cross monorail lines at a common station which you can with metro lines. It makes me reconsider using the monorail because it is more problematic running aboveground and taking out street sides for placing buildings. The metro seems more usable as we can cross metro lines at stations plus the lines run underground. I sure hope Monty or someone can fix this so that we can in the future use both and have the lines cross each other without collision. I'll have to test the Shift key to see if that will let the metro line run deeper and fake out the problem. The monorail does look impressive and catching a ride on one gives a nice tour of a city.

Did luis diogo's advice help to delete placeholders while still keeping their effects? That would be useful as getting the monorail track where you want is tough.

ryankoo likes this.
  16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

[QUOTE="ryankoo, post: 31420, member: 249][/QUOTE]

ryankoo,
    I just tested out the placeholder delete function that luis diogo suggested and it works like a charm, so nice to be able to use placeholders to guide the track without having them hang around looking ugly. :)

I also tested out the Shift key suggestion by royb 98 and found that we can run the metro line under the monorail line. Now we'll have the best of both worlds! :cool:

It definitely takes some learning to figure out how stuff works.

ryankoo likes this.
  17. ryankoo

ryankoo Executive

Great! I do not know hold shift and drag then metroline will become lower level and can get across other lines. But i always do like that to go across the river @@
    Anyway, both worked :)

OmniusPrime likes this.
  18. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

i dont think this fix will ever happen since altiris more or less quit modding for cxl
    reason for this issue is that this monorail is a modified ingame metro.. they are both based on the same "code", thats why this stuff happens.. but u can use the same workaround as u do when u want to cross two metro tracks: cross them at a station.. as i remember u can connect a monorail station with a metro line below the surface (or a monorail track with a subwaystation above the ground)
    (or like u said: try shift key.. maybe its working too when theres enough room between) cant remember that stuff exactly cause i didnt play last months and xxl not at all^^

OmniusPrime and kipate like this.
  19. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Mr. X2,
    It is a shame Altiris no longer mods for CXL line of games. You can't directly connect metro and monorail stations but you can get them close. It's just a matter of running the metro line down a little to cross a monorail line.

I just wish we could delete metro track. I found that problem today when I decided I wanted to redo some metro lines. Yes I can run new track along the same line but that looks ugly. I love how we can delete the whole monorail line at once to rebuild or extend it. So far I haven't seen how I can delete the metro tracks if I want to rebuild the line. I deleted the line in the metro management screen but it only deletes the line and not the track. Deleting metro stations only deletes the stations, not the metro tracks. Is there a solution to this that I'm not aware of?

Also thanks for posting that pack/unpack modding tool.

20. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Here's a new video showing how to build metro and monorail systems together. I discovered that building the monorail first is better as it is easier to use the Shift key to run the metro track under the monorail track. I found I couldn't raise the monorail line enough to cross over existing metro track. I also show how to use the trick mentioned by royb here to hide those ugly monorail placeholder stations.

Best of all near the end I show how to build a Magnetic Levitation Monorail Rollercoaster, can't do that in Skylines. I show some cool sights taking a ride on my monorail rollercoaster.