1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

New Project: Thresher Island

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by veija2, Oct 15, 2014.

1. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I had a major project going that I liked a lot. The population was getting close to 1 million when it crashed. I didn't have it saved manually, and I didn't have many decent photos of it. Lesson learned. I'm going to rebuild it, but it's a big project. So for some more immediate gratification, I began a small city on Wake Island by the Funky Monk. It's turning out rather nicely. Here's a few shots. Only the first one has any edits to it; I'm not that far along yet.

A friend of mine asked me for a tutorial on how to make the flag. Not sure if there's any interest at XLN?

flag-from-lighthouse2.jpg

cxl_screenshot_bonne_16.jpg

cxl_screenshot_bonne_3.jpg

cxl_screenshot_bonne_14.jpg

cxl_screenshot_bonne_8.jpg

Möebius and kipate like this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Why don't you tell me that you had a new project going on?
    Lol, I almost overlooked it...
    Turns out that this is a really nice city already!
    Style similar to your previous cities, let's see how it will end!
    Good luck with it, and don't forget to save it!
    (We should have weekly reminder to save our cities, though :) )

veija2 likes this.
  3. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Heh heh heh. LOL. I was going to put it in your thread, but thought I might have too many pictures. I'm hoping it's a good thing that it looks like my style ...

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, yes, it is a good thing that you keep your style,
    it worked fantastic in Choctaw and Harriet Island.

But, to be honest, there are some points
    in the given photos that I don't like that much.
    For instance, the major roundabout with the Tokyo Tower
    could deserve a little refinement: you could close the gaps between
    the buildings with no-collision buildings, and could make them orientated
    to the roundabout. At the moment, it looks a bit as if all the buildings
    in that area close to the tower were planned by different people,
    you got the SFMOMA in one corner, some old classicist buildings,
    a supermarket, and some modern high-rise for executives,
    and the Manchester Library; and the building cultivation ends at the roundabout,
    which makes it look a bit like the roads were arterial roads.
    But in real life, once an architect designed the tower,
    he would have wanted it to be part of a boulevard, not?

And I'm a bit confused about Monty's Fountain, is it elevated?

But that are minor points, nothing much to worry about...

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Thanks for your critique, kipate. I can see what you're talking about. The fountain is elevated. It was a pain in the butt to do, and frankly, I think the results don't warrant the work it took. One problem is that only 1 or 2 plazas will "crawl" up the side of the wall to form the tiers.

montys fountain2.jpg

montys fountain1.jpg

The 2nd problem is that the fountain's shadows are intended for it to be elevated - just don't come off that great.

As for the Tokyo tower - didn't notice the problem there before. No buildings face the roundabout because of traffic issues, and I think I'll leave it like that.

tokyo tower 1.jpg

The three different landmark styles grouped together was intentional - cultural mash-up sort of idea. I'll give that some more thought.

Maybe it makes more sense in context of the rest of the city:

fountain and tower.jpg

And of course, maybe not. :rolleyes: I wanted the streets to flow fluidly between circular references - the pavilion, the tower, the plaza. That doesn't excuse the odd mix of buildings close to the tower, though. I'll definitely consider some options there.

One new problem that is effecting me a lot is a problem with no-collision buildings. I played for a long time with only one no-collision mod, I forget the name. It did not give high tech, warehouse, industrial no-collision options. Then after some discussion in other threads, I decided to add back two that I had long ago abandoned - qwerty's and elmo's, to see what worked better. Now I must have buildings in this city effected by each different mod, and NO non-collision buildings will snap to the road. I don't often align streets with game parallels. I've got a mess in that regard, I'm afraid.

6. kipate

kipate Governor

WHAT? Oh, noooo... But you only have one of the two named no-collision mods, not both?
    Searching for those specific effected buildings will not be an option, or?

7. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I've tried to find them all - haven't been able to. There must be one lurking around somewhere ... I can remove elmo's mod, no problem, but taking qwerty's out again makes the game crash.

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Yes, searching for something like this is like searching for a needle in a bunch of hay...

9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Well, gave up the search. Just couldn't play the city like this. Went in and deleted all buildings that looked like no-collision ( 1/2 the population!) but I still couldn't find the culprit. I did find that the mod in question wasn't qwerty's (sorry, qwerty) but the old "ultimate..." mod. Thresher's saved game must also have a building that's dependent on the mod where building don't snap, so that's no use. So I guess I have 2 cities to rebuild. See you later.

10. kipate

kipate Governor

Omg, good luck with it!