1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

NLCB - New Limitless Collision Box

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by vampiro, Nov 14, 2015.

1. vampiro

vampiro Executive

Perhaps I found a better alternative way to reduce buildings collision boxes...

1) Collision box is reduced from all 4 sides of the buildings

2) Building maintain snapping with roads and other buildings

NewReduxCollisionBox.jpg

3) When a building snaps to next building, moving it further, it overlaps

4) when a building is placed, it is possible to lay a road partially overlapping it

cxl_screenshot_icy_2.jpg

5) Under no-collision part of the building, on slopes, fundations don't disappear
    Before...
    cxl_screenshot_icy_5.jpg
    Now...
    cxl_screenshot_icy_0.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_icy_1.jpg

...other photos of my experiment

cxl_screenshot_icy_4.jpg

cxl_screenshot_icy_6.jpg

cxl_screenshot_icy_7.jpg

I'm still testing to understand why, in some cases, if i make no collision to big, some buildings freeze game

Attached Files:

Drazicdesign likes this.
  2. Big Meany Mean

Big Meany Mean Executive

Will you upload a mod about this or is just for information purposes?

BTW Nicee

3. vampiro

vampiro Executive

Now I'm just testing under what conditions and parameters such modification is usefull and stable.
    I'm not a modder, but I think to create a mod for this purpouse will be easy.
    It could be usefull for whom likes to overlap buildings on slopes...on plain terrains, classical limitless collision solutions are a better choice

What i discovered:

1) modifications affects all object in the game (buildings, roads, ploppables, and every modded building u add on game...)
    2) buildings can't stand a no-collision radius >= 20 meters (selecting any building from menu, game freeze),
    road can't stand a no-collision radius >= 8 meters (selecting any road from menu, game freeze, but not selecting some ped paths or freeways),
    3) It seemed that game freeze if an object get a collision reduction equal or bigger than his total collision box
    4) BUT if, for example, i load game with a no-collision radius=15 and i plop buildings merging them at maximum possible,
    and later i go out from game to change no-collision radius to a smaller value (for example radius=2),
    i expected, when i restart city, it could crash because now collisions are forced to merge, instead game is stable.
    5) The better compromise (stability/radius dimension) that i found is a 7,5meters radius.
    This radius is enough big and satisfactory to merge building from all sides and stable with all platinum objects and most of user modded buildings. (but still i m testing)

4. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

All this is interesting ....
    I'm curious....
    What type of file you've re-worked?

5. vampiro

vampiro Executive

Very simple...

1) I opened "all_design.pak" in PAK folder
    2) Inside this package, u can find the file "placementrules.cfg"
    3) I copied "placementrules.cfg" into folder "...\data\config"

There u can find 2 parameters:
    <SnapBuildingDistance> ...at what meters distance buildings snap
    <CollisionTolerance> ...meters for reducing collision from building borders

VERY IMPORTANT:
    If <SnapBuildingDistance> is bigger than <CollisionTolerance> u dont get any result! Because the snapping-action override ur efforts
    making your building to overlap the second building at a distance bigger than collision tolerance.

Perhaps this could be the reason none discovered this secret before.
    Infact, before i changed <CollisionTolerance> parameter at a small value without any result,
    than i changed it to a big value getting game crashing,
    but because i was stubborn playing also with the second parameter, i casually discovered how to make it works.
    Later i started experiments to understand how to tune it better

actually i use:
    <SnapBuildingDistance>0.5</SnapBuildingDistance>
    <CollisionTolerance>7.5</CollisionTolerance>

It seems a mod is not necessary, it seems modified "placementrules.cfg" in folder "...\data\config" override the same file inside
    "all_design.pak" file.
    So u have also advantage to edit parameter every time u like

Good luck

Mr.X² likes this.
  6. vampiro

vampiro Executive

Because some players could not be enough friendly with PAK files, i decided to release a mod.
    Enjoy it !

7. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Very good idea. I've always been annoyed with those problems of not being able to snap to roads and whenever I use small collision buildings on hillsides, the result didn't look good at all. I'm glad to see you've found a way to address these issues!

Reading through your posts, it looks like one can't reduce collisions much further or remove them altogether without running into problems, is that correct?

8. vampiro

vampiro Executive

yes but u can partially avoid this limit doing so:
    1) extract "placementrules.cfg" and copy it into folder "...\data\config"
    2) lay down all road in the part of the city where u want to create an historical center on slopes
    3) go out game and change <CollisionTolerance> parameter at 19.5
    4) come back to game and plop buildings
    5) go out of game and change <CollisionTolerance> parameter at 7.5 again
    6) play again, once deployed, buildings don't complain about how u plopped them before

...but some building from modders are created with a smaller lot carpet that usual 40x40 or 60x60
    so they could crash game if u select them using <CollisionTolerance> parameter at a value >= 8

I tested a bit the game with a value = 7.999 and game seems still stable