1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Ostriv - indie city-building game in development

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by Yevheniy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Hey there! My name is Yevheniy and I am developing a city-building game named Ostriv. It has semi-fictional historical setting of late pre-industrial era.

Here are some of the key features:
    – detailed economic simulation and human behavior
    A player has no direct control of citizens. People in game act like people: they have their own motivation, needs and skills. Citizens will take jobs only if they are satisfied with them (or they are desperate). They can sell goods and services to each other on the local market. Wealthy citizens could start their own business in your town and hire other people. You will need to influence your city by means of setting prices, taxes and various policies. Each decision will certainly lead to some reaction of the society.

– transport
    For more effective resource transportation inside the town or for outer trade you will need vehicles. Carts and wheelbarrows could be built by a local carpenter or to be bought from outside.
    The breeding of draft horses and oxen is also required to move resources as well as for cultivation of fields.

– unrestricted building placement
    There’s no any kind of grid or angle restriction for placing buildings. Any building could be placed on any angle. Building on slopes is also available.

– roads modeling
    Dirt roads are formed in a natural way at places, where people move the most. You can build paved roads for more comfort and better aesthetics, but they’ll be used only in case of reasonable placement.

– dynamic seasons change

– a unique visual style inspired by ukrainian architecture and way of life

Here's how the game looks at the moment:
    02.jpg 06.jpg 08.jpg

I would really like to hear your thoughts and ideas on this game here or on the offical site - Ostriv – a city building game

Clemech4, Lillysky, Pepino and 7 others like this.
  2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks interesting. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from members here on XLnation.

3. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

That would be great) I really need more feedback.

4. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Here, making some progress. Added bridges, a couple of new buildings, and started working on dynamic sky. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

5. Vetleep

Vetleep Unskilled Worker

Looks really promising. Excited about how economic simulation will work out. The buildings looks a little less detailed than I would hope for, but I guess that they are not finished yet. Will it be available on steam? Keep up the good work!

6. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Thanks! Yes, I'm planning on releasing game to steam next year. Here's my steam concept page, btw: Steam Community :: Error
    As for visuals, the thing is I'm using an iterative approach in design, wich means I'm constantly improving each model, texture, sound etc. so all of them keep nearly the same level of completeness. So you can count on them to be improved in future:)

Abandon Ship and Vetleep like this.
  7. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Sorry, the link in previous post is broken and it seems I can't edit my post.. Here's the right one: Steam Greenlight :: Ostriv

Mr.X² likes this.
  8. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

9. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

A new video showing wagon animation in Ostriv. Check this out!

Drazicdesign and Mr.X² like this.
  10. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Okay, so yet another month of development has passed and a lot of new things added to the game. Not that lot to show though, because most of things were about secret inner workings of the simulation, game saving and path finding. But, anyway, my development approach implies never getting stuck on same task for too long to save productivity. So there's a bunch of new buildings and visual improvements to show. You can read more on my site or IndieDB with one of these links:
    New buildings in Ostriv news
    New buildings and visual improvements – Ostriv

Here are some of new screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter

Looking forward to hear from you!

11. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Abandon Ship and Mr.X² like this.
  12. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Abandon Ship, kipate and Myname like this.
  13. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

Dynamically changing seasons video demo

14. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

I just love it

Yevheniy likes this.
  15. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

16. wjlsr

wjlsr Unskilled Worker

Can't wait to purchase and play this game.

Abandon Ship and Yevheniy like this.
  17. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Woah, looks amazing ! I really love the design and idea ! I really admire your work (y)(y)

Yevheniy likes this.
  18. loren banovic

loren banovic Executive

I am really impressed at what I see. The game looks perfect from the pictures. I'm wondering how large is the playable area
    ?

Abandon Ship and Yevheniy like this.
  19. Yevheniy

Yevheniy Skilled Worker

It's not decided yet. I'll have to see how much I can get with a decent amount of FPS. That's the only reason for the limits

20. Monty

Monty Governor

Impressive work! Are you working on this by yourself or you're part of a development team? It must be a tremendous amount of work.