1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Maps Port Adelaide

Discussion in 'Maps' started by city fiend, Sep 15, 2014.

1. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Hey modders, I would much appreciate a map of the Port Adelaide area with and without an overlay of the streets.
    HbQEb8l.jpg

2. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Good choice. I was born in Woodville, many, many years ago so I'm also interested in this as a CXL map.

3. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Hehe, lol...I was born there too at the good old QEH. I've lived many places around Australia but at the moment I'm living in Woodville West...figures...lol.

4. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Similar story for me. I've lived in a number of places around Australia, first because the old man was in the army and we moved a lot for his various postings and then after that work took me to a few places here and there.
    However the last time I was in Adelaide was in the 1980s, I really should get back there some day, especially as the ConCentric Games convention is held at the Burnside Community Centre - that's practically in the heart of the city!

5. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Cool, the last time I was in Perth was 1994 when I was going to Midland primary school. Didn't do much there as I was too young to go out by myself. Saw the Endeavour being built, lol saw Jurassic Park at the cinemas. But went back to Kalgoorlie then Leinster, then Geraldton, then Dongara. Lol, then probably QLD after that.

6. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Whoa! Talk about seven degrees of separation! Or in this case about one degree...

I currently live in a suburb next to Midland, I used to work in Kalgoorlie, I used to live in Geraldton (went to Geraldton Primary, still have family there) and I used to have family in Dongara (crayfishing).
    The only weak links in all that are Leinster (although I have passed through there once or twice) and Queensland (I've visited once, only the Gold Coast and Tweed Heads though).

You'd still recognize the Midland Primary School but it's changed function a few times since you were last here! It's now the Midland Junction Art Centre and before that it was the home of the Australian Opera Studio (and there's a Dome Cafe in part of the complex).

7. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Lolz, I made one mistake, I went to Midvale Primary School not Midland (I always get them mixed up). I used to walk two or three blocks to the shopping centre in Midland, we also stayed in a caravan park in Kelmscot down south (funny, one thing that sticks in my head is Bunnings was called McEwans there).
    I also stayed in a caravan park in Port Denison near Dongara, we only stayed there for a few weeks for a holiday from Bellevue Mine (now moved or closed) but since 1995 we haven't been back there (you get sick of driving across the Nullarbor after the fifth time).

The Gold Coast I have only passed through a few time and stayed the night in a motel in Tweed Heads coming north from Sydney (awesome scenery). Brisbane too just passed through, but nearly stayed for prolonged periods in various towns throughout the rest of QLD.

Speaking of living in places, I've lived in ten houses throughout the years on this map. So I guess I really am a western suburbs guy. lol.

8. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

:ROFLMAO: Midvale Primary is just down the road from me, if I'm at home during a weekday I can hear the noise whenever they have sports day!
    The local shop across the road from the school playground changed hands some years back but is still going strong. However half the shops over the other side (on Hooley Rd) are closed up, they couldn't compete after Midland Gate shopping centre had its big expansion. And the cinema near the Swan Park Leisure Centre closed down (surprise, surprise, the cinema is now incorporated into Midland Gate) and was demolished a couple of years back and even the Chicken Treat that was next to it has closed now.

Do you recall the "new" (as of the early 1990s) suburb of Stratton near Swan View? It would have still been mostly bushland with only a few streets when you were here - and in another coincidence, I'd just moved to Swan View in late 1995 - anyway... yeah it's pretty much a fully developed suburb now, shopping centre, bottle shop, pizza bar, bus service and all. :LOL:

Yeah I can relate to the Nullarbor comment, done that trip by car and bus enough times to last me (also done it by plane and train but the train was way back when I was too young to remember it). We always used to stop at the blow holes even though it delayed us about half a morning - was like a family tradition to go see 'em haha.

9. moran

moran Elite

1~2day

10. city fiend

city fiend Elite

I used to buy the really big cans of coke from that shop on my way to school, lol. That's the cinema I watched Jurassic Park at, it was like in the middle of nowhere.

No Stratton doesn't ring a bell, but I was a kid and didn't take notice of things I suppose. I do remember the main road to Perth split in half in Midland though, and the bus's and trains were green coloured (I think) or blue, meh. lol.

Yes, I have many memories of the Nullarbor, I rememb er my dad getting petrol sprayed in his face by an aboriginal guy at Yalata, or Yatala. And being shit scared of the crumbly cliff tops with the strong wind blowing, hehe. Never flew or rode the train, although my dad did in the 80's.

West Lakes is now a well established suburb now, the shopping centre always seems to get bigger but this affects the Ports development badly. The north east has been well developed now too with Modbury and Golden Grove, there's a cool busway going to Modbury from the city, kinda like a bus that has it's own concrete rails. Adelaide has stretched north and south like crazy, it almost reaches Gawler and just about reaches down to Maslin Beach although Aldinga Beach is now basically a big suburb.

11. city fiend

city fiend Elite

WOW O.O thankyou Moran.

12. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Yeah having a look at Adelaide now, I can see just how much bigger the place is now.
    I remember that when I was trying to find the Adelaide location for ConCentric Games 2012 on Google Maps, I got lost because I kept thinking Woodville was an outer suburb in the north-west (and not the middle area that it is now!) and Elizabeth was a satellite town in the north-east (and not the outer suburb that it is now!)

13. city fiend

city fiend Elite

Lol, yeah my sister lives in a suburb called Paralowie, it was farms 20 years ago but now it's full of houses.