1. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Post of modders Mods

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nicko2u, Apr 10, 2015.

?
  1. Yes with permission from original author only.

2. Yes with permission from original author & with full testing and description of changes made.

3. No

4. Yes I couldn't care less who modifies a mod and uploads it.

5. Yes but only with full testing and description of changes made, credits are not added.

6. Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Hi Guys seems we have had a few bad mods by non original authors in the past few weeks.
    To me this is a bit concerning as it effects many gamers game play with constant crashes etc.
    Here is a quick poll to see what everyone else may think. Wasn't sure as to what other response to choice from. oh well its a start. bad mods suck balls.

Lowell likes this.
  2. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Well, IMO, answer is No for uploading updated mods from active authors. And Yes but only with full testing and description of changes made, credits are added. for mods from inactive authors.
    I voted for Undecided because there is no correct answer for that.

Mr.X² likes this.
  3. Monty

Monty Governor

metrocity345 and nick97 are uploading mods without asking to the original authors. I only gave permission to pverg003, who uploaded the City Hall condos with new tags. At first it didn't seem like a bad idea, but in a second though maybe new tags really don't justify a new entry, since the mods are already compatible with CXXL, unless they have another particular issue, which if it's not adressed when it's re uploaded it misses the point of an update.

Lowell likes this.
  4. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

well, i voted for "Yes with permission from original author & with full testing and description of changes made."
    but as i say in this tutorial i obviously didnt thought through, only of inactive authors. mods of active authors shouldnt be touched (or published) without their permission. a short message to them shouldnt be such a pain. and credits to original authors should always be added, also when they are inactive.
    testing it before uploading should be self-explaining, no?
    edit: and yeah, this entire "new ui" thingy by fhi... well, i dont like it, thats why i stick to 2012 :D

Lowell likes this.
  5. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

hrm can't seem to edit the poll now to add a new response, anyways you said it here anyways so that's cool

6. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Skilled Worker

You've got balls to bring this up, Nicko, and I'm glad you did.

Plagiarism has several synonyms - copying without authorization, piracy, theft or passing off as one's own work to name a few.

When we switched from the old XLN website to the new, I noticed quite a few new authors who took credit for previous mods. Keep in mind, any newcomers who read this post, that the old website was compromised and Icyhot had an enormous task of creating the new website. Not all information was transferred over.

The original authors of a mod should come forward and demand full credit for their work, if it was not given to them.

My response would be "Yes with permission from original author" and full credit given. However, if someone was inspired by an author's work and creates a better mousetrap from scratch with significant changes to deem it as original work and different from the original author, then he or she can take full credit for it. However, it would be a nice gesture to give honorable mention to who inspired them.

It is difficult to draw a fine line, considering that modders create, say buildings, that are for the most part already in existence and that variations would be minor. We also want to encourage new modders.

Yours truly,
    The Honorable Judge Sabertooth:)

Miguel, Lowell and The Funky Monk like this.
  7. Lowell

Lowell Unskilled Worker

Can mods be pre-approved by page admins before them being posted? That might be too much to ask though.

Modders should always get prior approval if editing someone's mod. If they cannot be contacted, at least make that known and give credit. Re-posting other's work can cause problems for players who wish to use such mods. I have seen this in many games on Steam's WorkShop, good mods messed with or re-posted a zillion times.