1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Types

Discussion in 'General Forums' started by The Funky Monk, Sep 24, 2014.

1. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

wow looking sweet isn't it. love the road side parking and bus bays.

prismaticmarcus likes this.
  3. Stevo

Stevo Skilled Worker

I love the way the traffic moves through intersections. No day/night cycle though. And the airport looks a bit cheap.

4. TotalyMoo

TotalyMoo Paradox Community Manager

Hehe, the airport is a work in progress. We've seen a lot of feedback on that so far.

We decided to not feature a day night cycle at launch because it did not make any sense gameplay wise. On high speeds a day passes in maybe 3 seconds, which would be very irritating with constant switching between day and night.

Still we understand that it does add a lot of visual fidelity and aim to add it in the future, post release, in some way or form :)

5. Bill LJ

Bill LJ Unskilled Worker

The day/night cycle does not necessarily have to follow one in game day. On CXL one full circle of the red bar represents a month I think, and even on high speed the day/night cycle takes a lot longer than a month.

6. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

If you think about it, it's actually quite logical it's harder to maker a day/night cycle in CSL than in CXL. In CXL, citizens are just numbers being average. If there are 500 citizens on a certain road at rush hour, there are also 500 citizens on the same road at midnight. Even when the game is paused, the citizens just keep moving. In CSL, citizens actually have a 'life'. For them, it does matter when they have to be at work.

7. Rene

Rene Executive

The airport looks very nice. I know a lot od people are fans of modular stuff, but I'm not so much. Albeit I like the how in SC5 buildings and building zone areas do grow and evolve.

About roads, I liked SC4 roads, even the highway texture. I have always a bit wondered with the so many diffferent road textures. But surely much different looking roads are needed and it looks like you have it covered with roads with trees that are upgradable too. Fantastic.

But it's a game. I always use default roads, in games like SC too. I don't mind that much regionalroads. I'de rather see devs concentrate on as much content as possible. Not polishing all the worlds roads. Features such as transport vehicle systems - for example.

Not to mention rail. We're still waiting for rail screenies/videos.

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Rene, no offense, but as you may imagine, the topic "rail" is always
    a very complex one:
    1) you do not have just passenger trains, you do have also
    freight trains, running on the same railtracks.
    Now, is it possible to put in both systems into the game at launch,
    or do you need to focus on one system instead. And if so, do
    you rather have extensive freight networks as in the US, or more
    passenger networks as in Europe?
    2) Do you, as people may wish for, distinguish between regional
    trains and highspeed trains, or are the rather the same?
    Do you opt to interconnect your cities with the railways option
    or do you not?
    3) What of these points can be covered by a common PC
    and what points will demand too much...
    4) you are the one who seems to have a little bit more
    knowledge about that topic (or claim to be, no offense,
    but I never saw any railway project by you, though you often
    said it was rather easy), so why not giving some
    advice before? Instead of just waiting and then critisizing the whole thing?

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't worry about Rene, Moo has already told him that the rail only has placeholders so they won't be showing pics until it's finished.

10. TotalyMoo

Well not only, but a large part of the stuff is not finished so we'd rather not talk about it at this point in time. It would be unfortunate if we had to retract a statement due to changing design :)

11. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

Uh... if I might interrupt a moment... I like to say how impressed I was that your flyover bridge pic is a step in the right direction. As a freeway fanatic, I love making complex interchanges that are logical and pleasing to the eye. The bridge accesses are a little sharp and there doesn't seem to be much of merging lanes... but hopefully that will come to pass eventually.

The Funky Monk and kipate like this.
  12. TotalyMoo

Thank you! We're doing our best to improve such things as how the roads connect et cetera, and appreciate your feedback and concern :)

13. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

The roads intersections are looking really nice, unlike cxl's. Love how we can see traffic actually going through intersections == awesome.

14. Rene

Rene Executive

Kipate, in europe there are large and vast different railway systems, the most usable ( i think) is "the common cauge", then there are tram systems that cauge a 1 meter. Well the cauge system isn't all that important in Skylines, but rail and tram will be, and also can rails do passenger traffic as well as freight (like in SC4 ((albeit many mod passenger stations blocked freight because of unknohow of the modder)).

I gave to quote myself here from this topic: "But it's a game. I always use default roads, in games like SC too. I don't mind that much regionalroads. I'de rather see devs concentrate on as much content as possible. Not polishing all the worlds roads. Features such as transport vehicle systems - for example. "

Regionality can be done in other ways too, I'd like to see a dynamic evolving city districts and special governing of those. (And I want city polls by the mayor) Regionality where building are either grown or plopped to say chinatown, old medieval, pos design corners ~ go figure - the roads would automatically have regional influences, if this is not too AI for the Skylines crew. I'm not saying there's anything bad in CXL's method, but things do evolve.

I guess that, and default roads, makes a road texture enough for a game. But I wasn't so interested about all the dozens of roads, but what I've seen from Colossal Order videos - they got road thing very well covered up.

Let's see how they cope with the rest of the features, some of it was demo'ed, and I loved every bit.

In city builders what's different between 90´s and 00´s is that since SC4 the focus of the genre has evolved to city planning and especially transport. And my goodness was I shocked to realize at ST that almost everybody played the game for the looks. But that was that era and those computers.

With modern consumer tech a city builder like never before can be build. And I'm still offended how much from a sheite piece od SC5 they had the gut's to ask like 79.99€

Nicko2u, indeed, FHi wasn't even able to fix such a bug that crippled only cxl :)

15. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

If you haven't seen Pitty's RHW mod for CitiesXL, I'd suggest looking at it and maybe if at all possible improve upon it... so far as nearly complete highway freedom, Pitty has it almost completely covered... and to this day.. I haven't seen anything that's come close to it...

16. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

ha skylines shits on RHW mod. 1. it will be easy to use,2. you can create them so much easier, well that what I seen in the dev logs

17. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

maybe I should check that out... until then... Pitty still rules

18. Rene

Rene Executive

CXL is such a hasbeen.

19. chocolate_city

chocolate_city Executive

I've heard that about you...

The Funky Monk likes this.
  20. Rene

Rene Executive