1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Roadmap To Go Live - Updates Often

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Aug 23, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

We need to start out with the understanding that not everything is going to be perfect with the launch. The theme discussion is a nice example, some want dark colors, some want light. There is no way everyone will be happy. The following is my detailed plan for migration, a road map to follow. The idea is the get things moving along.

Prerequisites for Migration

1. Hyperwolf needs to get me admin access to Drupal and the Domain name.
    I have full admin access to XLNation, Hyperwolf maintains the domain admin. This is considered complete.
    2. XLEX needs to be moved manually to the new site

HW let me know that the XLEX was a custom mod coded by a previous moderator of XLNation. The XenFORO Resource manager is also an add-on module.

There are around 850 Mods to Migrate. Get some people organized and it should not be that difficult a job. You guys should start a new discussion about this topic and take charge.

I personally consider the XLEX the most valuable thing at XLNation. We have a chance to get it right. The cost to attempt a migration for so little data is not worth it. There are too many variables. A human that understands CitiesXL is a wiser choice.
    3. Tutorials need to be moved manually to the new site

4. Prune the Forums

Clean up all the crap, the less we have to migrate the lower my cost. Consider it a Spring Cleaning. Don't go crazy with it though. Let me know when its done. Agree on the Forum structure at the new website. Let me know about any adds, changes, or deletions. You may want to start a dedicated topic on this.
    5. Let the general community know what is coming

At some point the generally community needs to be made aware of what is going to happen. During migration XLNation will be offline between 4 and 5 days. I little communication goes a long way. You all know what it feels like to have no one at the helm of a website.​

6. Prune the User List

I will prune the user list of anyone that has not logged in to XLNation in a year.
    7. Network Expansion XL (NEXL)

Someone from the NEXL team should be in charge of moving this stuff. I noticed (at least when it comes to Trams) that the version on the left column does not seem to be the most current? There seems to be a forum discussion with a more recent version.
    8. General Modding Index under XL Exchange
    Someone needs to go through it and migrate the useful stuff over to a new category in the resource Manager for "External" download links​

Migration

1. XLNation Offline from 4 to 5 days

2. The existing XLNation will be "frozen" with no more registrations, posting etc

3. Select Users will be asked to check the migration. Once we accept the migration a mass email will be sent to all users informing them of their temporary passwords for accessing XLNation again.

4. I will work my magic to get XLNation pointed to
    the right place I hope without screwing up Drupal

Post Migration

1. The Old XLNation will remain online with just the City Journals available read only. A link will be placed on the New XLNation to that area.

2. The XLEX will also be available in case we screwed up our manual migration and need to reference back.

3. The Forums on the old XLNation will be deleted.

4. A Donation Campaign will be started to raise funds to migrate the City Journals to the new site

5. I know everyone wants a new "home" page right away. The way drupal was setup on the server I could end up breaking Drupal.
    You may need to give me a little break here.

6. I will work with gConverter to get the cost to migrate
    the City Journals. Once we raise the funds that project can start.

7. Migrate XLNation to a brand new web server. Yup my company is going to purchase a new server and XLNation will get to ride along for free. New server installed, this is completed.

8. Finally retire all parts of the old XLNation.

snick likes this.
  2. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a solid plan

I think waiting for a home page and all that will be fine. Patience is good in this situation imo.

And props to you for taking this problem by the horns as well as the financial support!

3. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow I really appreciate how you sum up the most important things, that's something I do not really experience often.

The xlex thing could be done quickly if we organize it right (will open a new thread for that). The only problem is the author factor, we might have to consider that.

For the things we want to migrate there will be another thread

I will post an announcment in a moment

4. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

That spells it out quite nicely. Thanks Icy.

5. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

6. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Should we tell them that we will be deleting threads so no one freaks out and creates a new thread about it?
    Maybe post a screenshot of the new site.

7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good solid plan. Fingers crossed it all works out without any major issues.

8. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Excellent plan! I hope this will go on smoothly and with no major problems. :rolleyes:

9. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Excellent and solid plan Icy and I'll be pleased to help if you need it

10. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Yep if you need some help I can try to help you or suggest you what to do. :D

11. Ole

Ole Executive

What about doing it with html files? I've transfered a (tutorial) entry myself lately, and it's not just copy paste, you need to do all image codes again. Monty started backuping some time ago, and he used .html files so you can access the pages even when you're online. Now I think of it, might be a stupid idea, maybe the previous UI also shows up

Edit:
    But....wait, does this mean all migrated mods are gonna be under the names of who uploads them? Because we can't just say to everyone who left, come back to upload your mods again. And if those mods get likes, the likes will go to who uploaded them, like to IcyHot who is uploading other peoples mods now

12. Monty

Monty Governor

That just saves a copy of the page. The best way to copy and paste an entry is clicking on the Edit button and Copy and Paste the code of the description that includes the links to images. You still have to fill the other fields manually. But to be able to edit entries not created by you, you need to be a moderator.

IcyHot said that Moderatos can change the uploader name, I think.

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't have to use an external file host anymore. You can upload your photos direct to the server. IcyHot said there is room for 100,000 images.

When the owners of the mods sign up we can change the ownership back to them. If they don't then we can create a staff account and change the ownership to so so people don't get credit for other people's stuff.

14. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

That is a great idea, what staff name should I create?? XLNation?

15. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

XL Nation Staff

screenshot_105.jpg

16. IshRocker

IshRocker Unskilled Worker

Very solid plan but just one question, is this site going to have a rating board again?

17. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

At this point no, the entire community can "rate" mods. It could be changed to select users if the community desires

18. IshRocker

IshRocker Unskilled Worker

Thanks IcyHot.

19. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's better to allow everybody to rate :)

Peter912 likes this.
  20. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Rating board had a bunch of inactive people towards the end anyway. I think it's better to let everyone rate; and as far as I know, you can only give a star rating if you also write a comment/review, correct?

IshRocker likes this.