1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronrn projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by ronrn, Dec 2, 2015.

1. ronrn

ronrn Governor

well....how about:
    Novosibirsk
    Kaliningrad
    Nizhniy Novgorod
    Kazan'
    St Petersburg
    Moscow

Игорь likes this.
  2. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Good) But, maps of Moscow and St. Petersburg already have)

3. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Can you make maps to Cities XL Platinum too?

4. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Unfortunately, no.
    I searched the resources (last week) for Moscow and St. Petersburg maps and did not find, no need to reproduce them.

5. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

I have a St Petersburg map from old xl nation, but i dont like it, because it doesn't have all channels and rivers of city, so i would love to have a new one with all channels and rivers of it

6. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Well then, I'll just add St Petersburg back to the list.(y)

7. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Thanks!!! if u will be confused about starts and ends of StPg channels and rivers, just ask me then))) also i would suggest u to make it a little wider, case using a see wall road is eating width of them

8. ronrn

ronrn Governor

For template maps I zoom in to about 9km instead of the usual 10km. It doesn't cover as much area but this tends to make water features a little wider, and (to me) it seems to scale better with game roads, bridges and buildings.
    St Petersburg.jpg

9. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Could u take for template a little north-western area like this?
    SPB.PNG

Myname and Игорь like this.
  10. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Will do.

11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Sorry, I can't fit that whole area.
    How about this?
    map2.jpg

12. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

This is also good

ronrn likes this.
  13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Игорь and Immort_al like this.
  14. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Give me the name of the city and I'll be happy to make a map for you.

15. ronrn

ronrn Governor

by request:
    Map making tutorial: Part 1
    For creating accurate representations of existing city areas of your choice.
    Some of you may be like me, short on $$, and don't have a terrain generator such as World Machine or Terragen. Anyways, using demo version terrain generators, my results (at my skill level) were totally random and accidental at best and not accurate representations at all.
    This tutorial demonstrates my method to use any paint program or image editing program, preferably one that supports layers, to create a "height map" to use in the new "Cities XXL Map Editor".
    1.Choose a city map for a template. Google Maps work very well and have topographical view options. Most map sites have some sort of measuring tool. Zoom and measure until you get a map view between 9 & 10 km (usually from top to bottom). I prefer closer to 9km or even slightly less. Screen capture it and put into your image editor. Crop the image to square and save it as png, jpg, or bmp. Note the .png format seems to work best.
    map01.jpg
    2.Start a new image and assign it any square dimensions. I use 4096x4096 for easier, fine detail editing.
    Resize your map image the same, copy/paste it into the new image as a new layer and move it down to be the bottom layer (Layer 1).
    3.Insert a new layer on top (Layer 3) of the original new layer (layer 2) to serve as a terrain layer.
    Be sure the terrain layer (Layer 3) is selected, choose a line drawing tool and set the line width, the thinner the better.
    4.Trace the edges of the water features (shorelines) with the line tool. The more accurate your tracing the more accurate your map will be. Be sure your lines create a fully enclosed area either as full circles or both ends running completely to the edge of the image.
    5.Use an area selection tool, select and fill the selected "terrain" areas with a solid greyscale color. I use RGB 10-10-10 for the starting ground elevation of most maps. Keep in mind that, in the City XXL Map Editor, one unit of greyscale RGB is equal to about 3 meters of elevation, so 10-10-10 = 30 meters in elevation, 11-11-11 = 33 meters in elevation, etc, etc.
    6.Select Layer 2, the original new image layer, which is still blank and fill it completely with the gray scale RGB of 0-0-0 to represent water elevation (sea level).
    *note: If you don't want to use layers, greyscale colors can be "painted'' directly over a map image. Be sure to completely cover the entire image.
    Image2.jpg Image3.jpg

If all you need is a map with flat terrain and water features, you're almost done! Naturally, cities with flat terrain & no water features can be built on any one of many available flat maps.

7.Delete the map layer (layer 1) and merge the other 2 into a single image. I recommend resizing the image to 512x512 dimensions. Although any size image can be imported into the map editor, smaller images seem to produce smoother features.
    Image4.jpg
    You now have a "height map" that can be used in the Cities XXL Map Editor to create your map.

Cities XXL Map Editor user guide:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538545092

If you wish to go further with your map and ad elevated terrain features, with or without water features, continue on to Part 2 of this tutorial.

Radiant Dawn, xman90 and Игорь like this.
  16. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Looks good, but, doesn't you know how make the map for Platinum, 2012 etc.? My XXL version is crush and I can't play in XXL, only Platinum:(

17. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Some update to "Russian map pack". This maps of Veliky Novgorod and Omsk.

Attached Files:

18. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Sorry, I can't make XL Platinum (2012) and earlier maps.
    I just recently learned the new Cities XXL Map Editor. It produces the correct file formats needed to create the .patch file for mod maps. Producing these file formats for XL is a more complicated process that I am not familiar with.
    Sorry, again, no one here in the XLNation has learned to convert XXL maps to work in XL.

Why not fix your XXL(2015)? You can find lots of help here in the XLNation.
    To start, go to the 'Tech Support' or 'Game Play Support' section, post a description of the crash and copy/paste the last 10 lines of the latest ".log" file.
    Find the ".log" file here:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive\Cities XXL\log

If you wish, I will create these maps, but again, for XXL(2015) only.

Игорь likes this.
  19. xman90

xman90 Unskilled Worker

It's so good,thanks for sharing it .

20. ronrn

ronrn Governor

to do list (y)

Seattle (in progress)
    ---
    Anyi,China
    ---
    Russia map pak #2
    Samara
    Veliky Novgorod
    Omsk
    ---
    Bandar Seri Begawan (completed)
    and possibly
    Singapore (north map, west map, south map)

Игорь and nick. like this.