1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronrn projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by ronrn, Dec 2, 2015.

1. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Completed: Maps - Praha (Prague), CZ
    Please help me keep track of request by placing your future request in:
    User Mod Requests / Maps
    Maps

Pepino, Przyski and kipate like this.
  2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Progress report:
    I still use a paint program to "hand draw" height maps but I've learned how to enhance them a little with World Machine (free version). I find the erosion features the most useful. Still limited to the 512 x 512 output resolution, though the XXL Map Editor seems to do well enough with it.
    There was a request for maps featuring the continents of the XXL Planet. It took a little preparation for this, and I'm ready, but I think I'm going to wait for more request before starting that adventure.
    Again, I ask that map request be made in the Maps section, each member's request in a new thread please. This will make them much more visible, easier to keep track of, and in chronological order.

kipate and Przyski like this.
  3. A SenG

A SenG Executive

Hello, hw r u? really enjoying your maps.... can you make just one more map based on the attached rough map idea , with one request, please make the map covering the whole game area (which is slightly greater than 10km on each side) just to avoid the sea water on the edges of the map.... :)

Attached Files:

4. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I will be happy to do your map. There are only just a few maps ahead of you.
    I only ask that map request be made in the Maps section, each member's request in a new thread please. This will make them much more visible, easier to keep track of, and in chronological order.

5. A SenG

A SenG Executive

oh yes actually I saw your previous post and reposted the same in the maps page..... it would be great to have the map made by you... have agood tym...

ronrn likes this.
  6. A SenG

A SenG Executive

Oh one more thing, can you add Indian trees to the map or other tropical trees? if possible....

7. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey @ronrn, thank you for your maps so far.

I recently tried XXL, and downloaded some of your maps. I think you chose them quite wisely. But there is something that bugs me a bit: the basic ground level is often the same as the water level. That quite disallows for an easy handling of your maps. The map that has bugged me in specific is the Philadelphia map. I looked up some Google images, and I would say that the area goes up to about 7 to 8 metres above water level.

Or is there an easy tool to change the ground level all at once?

8. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Please note that almost 100% of my maps/cities were requested by XLnation members.
    There is no real way to judge/calculate height in-game short of counting floors on a typical in-game building and comparing it to elevations.

Custom map terrain elevations are based on an imported grey scale (height map) image.
    In the XXL Map Editor it is the water level that is "adjustable". Water, in the map editor, has the only unit of measurement available. All of my calculations are based on this unit of measurement.

~short explanation:
    The basic (lowest) terrain elevation in most of my maps varies from 7.5 meters to 11.8 meters above sea level.

~long explanation (tips to anyone interested in map making):
    Relative to 1 meter of the map editor's water level:
    Each shade of grey scale, Zero to 255 ("RGB" of red-0, green-0, blue-0 thru red-255, green-255, blue-255) is equal to .33 meters in terrain elevation.
    -in other words:
    1m of water level = .33m of terrain elevation
    ..or..
    3m of water level = 1m of terrain elevation.(9.99m rounded off)

With most of my height maps, especially the flat ones, I use these basic ratios:
    -ocean, river, lake bottoms = rgb of zero
    -basic/lowest terrain elevation = rgb of 5 or 6 (16.5 or 19.8 meters above zero); excluding beach conditions.
    --
    inside the map editor, I set:
    -water level = 8 or 9 meters. (This is the minimum level that prevents the bottom/ground texture from being visible thru water using my transparency settings.)

Summation:
    Again, the basic (lowest) terrain elevation in most of my maps varies from 7.5 meters to 11.8 meters above sea level. To me, these elevations seem to work well with the in-game ports, harbor components and, seawall roads.
    Note that bridge tunnel depths in XXL are not restricted by the water level, and are only limited to the slope factor.

However, your point is a valid one. The Philadelphia map, after reviewing the files, has an elevation of only 4 meters above water level. I am not sure why the Philly map is so different, unless, well....:whistle:sometimes I just adjust the water level to what looks the best (realistic) to me in the map editor.

Early in my projects thread I requested anyone's feedback on things like patch file sizes, tree volumes, water levels and etc. The feedback I've received on these subjects is virtually zero. You are only the second to bring water level vs terrain elevation to my attention.

By the way, thank you for the feedback.

May I ask what exactly makes the low terrain elevation difficult to work with? I suspect that it involves digging with Mr. D's new mod for road under/overpasses.
    Do you have any suggestions to address this issue?
    Would you like to request a redo of this particular map, or any other for that matter?

Oh yea, welcome to the world of XXL (2015). Personally, I find the performance of the game to be much, much better than XL (2012).

kipate likes this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, thank you for your feedback :)

1) okay, so the leechers chose the maps wisely :rolleyes: :p

2) well, most players, and I would include myself here, develop their cities with the map given. And I guess that most critique would focus on the topography of a certain given map, but not general critique.

3) Indeed, for my beloved overpasses, I need the ground level to be at least a 7.5m above water level. Then I can easily use the dig area tool, set up the highways, and place the overpasses. And have in mind, an American truck has a height of almost 5 metres. Then the bridge height, aber bit of space in between, and you get the 7 metres.

4) Of course, I can elevate the area with the basic tools, but from my experience, it takes usually twice or thrice the time at least to carefully increase the height level of an area. Flattening the terrain or making holes is lots easier.

5) Hence I prefer maps where the terrain almost drops off to water level when it comes close to the rivers.

But that is my opinion.

6) for the Philadelphia map, I would prefer the map to be flat at 7.5m almost everywhere, and to almost drop off to zero at the rivers.

Thx again for your explanation :)

10. ronrn

ronrn Governor

This map contains higher terrain elevations for better/deeper digging (approx 14 meters).
    ATTENTION: This map does not replace the Philadelphia from the Mid-Atlantic Map Pak.
    MEGA

kipate likes this.
  11. kipate

kipate Governor

12. Игорь

Игорь Elite

i.jpg Hello, my friend. Please, make this map. It's Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

This map is not scaled. It is made to the map image above.
    MEGA

kipate likes this.
  14. nick.

nick. Executive

kipate and ronrn like this.
  15. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Thank you!!!

16. ronrn

ronrn Governor

How about these 4 maps?
    Is my information (description of maps) correct?
    -Gayny
    A settlement in Gaynsky District of Perm Krai.
    -Kosa
    An administrative district (raion) of Komi-Permyak Okrug of Perm Krai, Russia.
    -Kudymkar
    The administrative center of Komi-Permyak Okrug of Perm Krai, Russia.
    -Yusva
    no info that I could find.

Relative to download file size, 4 maps is a good limit for a Map Pak.
    Flat maps will do for these 2 cities as they have no large, distinctive terrain or water features that will show in the Map Editor.
    Kochyovo
    Yurla

kipate likes this.
  17. nick.

nick. Executive

How about these 4 maps?
    4 maps thank you !!

Is my information (description of maps) correct?

Kudymkar serves as the administrative center of Komi-Permyak Okrug

Gayny

Kosa

Yusva

ronrn likes this.
  18. Игорь

Игорь Elite

Hi! Can you make this map for me?
    4а.jpg

kipate and ronrn like this.
  19. ronrn

ronrn Governor