1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Maps Savannah, Ga Map Request

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Artmaster, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

I've decided I'd like to create a city closest resembling Savannah, Georgia. I actually lived in this city for three years while attending Art School and the lay out of the city is very unique due to it's historical preservation.

Downtown Savannah has many challenges as a city builder because of the one-ways that dominate the traffic movement. The downtown is absolutely gorgeous because it is filled with "park squares" that have ancient oaks full of Spanish moss. The town, even with-in the downtown district, is highly diverse, with mansions existing right across the street from Victorian-styled, low-income homes.

Once outside the downtown, the city becomes sprawling with long stretches of commercial businesses, shopping centers and a U.S. Air force Base.

Here is a map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x88fb75fc78f20659:0x4e0c6751036020bc

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Would this area do? Its roughly 10km x 10km (The max we can do)
    savannah.JPG

3. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

i've travelled to Savannah with my fiancee two years ago... i love the city, i inspired from it for one of my cities Rivendreill that i did not finish cause it lags too much... but maybe with xxl i will be able to get it done!

I used one of Funky's egyptian maps that looked a bit like savannah's one (i think it's Cairo...)

I love the organized city center of Savannah around those small places. Here are some shots of that city i've built

I tried to keep the city center layout with small green plazas... but lack of small buildings made me go a bit different from savannah's historical center... then of course the big bridge that connects with North Carolina... i tried also to recreate the enbankments which is a nice promenade!

Then i imagined this city like on the border of US & Mexico with one side american the other mexican (with latin style buildings)... Hope you like it!

Anyways i second the request for a real Savannah! it's a great place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's a preview of what I've done so far in WM.
    savannah WM.JPG
    I might do a second map and include the airport. The above map covers the main area of the city.

5. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Awesome work! I have a request about that marsh area on the right side you created....

It is a grassy-tree filled marsh...is there any texture that looks like 'wheat' but not sand you could use in that area? I guess I could hand-place a thousand cat-tails if need be...haha...all joking aside I will do it... and one minor elevation request about the downtown area... if you could raise the downtown a to a slightly higher elevation (like 20ft above sea level) from the river that would really help with matching the real River Street in Savannah. Just one block width from the river would work...if that's too much don't worry about it, otherwise thanks for making one of my favorite cities!

6. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Dude that looks awesome! I can see the similarities for sure...the island you made does remind me of the Hilton Head area. That bridge is also very iconic. Such a beautiful town...

7. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

Sorry to keep bombarding this thread...but Skullz...I just remembered you said you were thinking of making two map verisons...could you make a version with more of the coast? Tybee Island would be very cool to add to Savannah. There are alot of gated communities (suburbs) on the islands that make up East Savannah.

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you mean this area circled?
    savannah coast.JPG
    I did not see your post about making the land area in town higher. I've already finished working in world machine. I did the map flat as Savannah looked pretty flat in Google earth. You could easily raise the ground by using roads around the town area at a higher level if you know what I mean. Once I've finished the first map i will see what I can do in world machine to raise the town area for an alternative map.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive

I'm going to start building on this tonight! You're an awesome map maker!

Good point about using roads to raise the ground level...now that you mention it, I doubt there needs to be an alternative map. As far as another area of Savannah, I can see now that the Eastern part of the city is even larger than the section you original chose, which is the main downtown and commerical district south of it...I'm rather surprised the whole city can't fit on one map, but I can see why now. The section I was referring is the island all the way to ocean...even more East of what you circled. But I'm just going to build on the map you already created. Thanks again for making this map!

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll have a look at that island today as I did not notice it in Google Earth.

12. Artmaster

Artmaster Executive