1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

[Temp] XenForo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by Alex24, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Monty

Monty Governor

The likes are not anonymous like at the old site, if someone cheats it would be really easy to spot. And we all know that modders are also the funniest guys. :p

Peter912 likes this.
  2. Monty

Monty Governor

what i'm supposed to write on the installation pre requisites field? I tried with the name of the pre requisite and with a link to it and I got this error message:

"Please enter a value that matches the required format."

3. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried UIM, that worked

4. Monty

Monty Governor

It worked :D

There is a minor mistake on Resource Icon description. It says "If you have an icon to upload for this resource, you will be given an option to upload this icon after saving. This icon should be 96x96 pixels."

But when you upload the icon it says it must be 250x150, which has a different aspect ratio. A square icon won't fit.

@IcyHot do you have a preference between using image hosting and uploading the images to the server? Which is better?

5. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

btw can I edit the image afterwards? I wasn't able to find the option for that

6. Monty

Monty Governor

You mean the icon? Yes, there is a panel on the right it says Resource Tools. There is a shortcur for changing the icon.

By the way, I think the paid content section should be changed to Donation Packs. People will freak out if they see paid content :p

7. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

So, will the url of the "new" site be the same or different? If I have the site favorited and haven't visited in a while, for example, it would be nice to not be directed to a broken link.

8. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

I agree, the site is a bit too white and bright. So if there is a way to change it up that would be great!

9. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

That is a field I created. You can enter text but no links. There is an option to use URLs but I didn't want to make things overly complicated and force resource creators to be hooking up links. Now that I think about it a URL would be more user friendly for the person downloading

10. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I have no preference about hosting or uploading images though its simpler if the images are hosted here since we won't end up with broken image links when one of those hosting sites shuts down or the person cancels their account. There is room for over 100,000 photos here

11. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

You should see something similar on the right Column if you are the resource owner (not all the options may be there since I have admin access) with ability to "Edit Resource Icon"

example.png

12. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

The URL will not be changing

13. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Oh nice to know! But will there be the "/xenforo" extension or not??

14. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Probably not, no worries though http://XLNation.net will work

Peter912 likes this.
  15. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

They use Paypal. Bonus of using these addons is the extra features.

Example,

Donation Manager

A simple yet powerful donation manager designed to convince your community to give you money! It is designed to present donation goals in a noticeable manner to be very clear on where you are with donations and why you need them. When a user decides he or she wants to donate they use a streamlined system which never loads another page until going to PayPal for the final step. Includes anonymous donations, ability to specify amounts and/or allow for a custom amount and for the donor to leave a note to be shown to public (if permissions permit). Everything is as simple as possible however still powerful as can be seen by the screenshots below.

Features

• ability to set a minumum donation amount
    • ability to set a goal with title and description. Progress is shown graphically. Goals are monthly, this is something that will be extended to allow more options, see below
    • ability to manually add donors as well as edit any donations already received/created
    • donors can be anonymous when donating, also can leave notes if they want
    • each donor has all their contributions logged with 2 totals, one for public donations and one for anonymous, that way top donors can be anonymous donors
    • 3 different sidebars: goal/donate, top donors and top donations
    • donation list and a donor list
    • donating is powered via ajax so a page load isn't needed until going to paypal itself
    • paypal integration supports refunds, if refunded the donation will be removed and goal reduced like expected
    • monthly goal logs
    • criteria integration. Under user criteria you will see new options: user has donated within the last X days, user has donated more than X days ago, user has donated at least X dollars, user has donated no more than X dollars
    • various permissions for viewing and donating

16. Ole

Ole Executive

And for people who don't have paypal (like me), maybe we should give a bank number where you can transfer the money to (if that works the same in your countries)

17. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think you need paypal to pay into a paypal account do you?

18. Ole

Ole Executive

I don't know actually, I'll check it

19. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, you don't. I just checked XLN's donation page.

20. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Monty pointed out to me that new stuff should be posted here. So I have a few concerning questions.

1. Is the resource manager operating from it's own database or is it part of the Xenforo database?
    2. When the migrating the forum is done, will be to a new database or it will overwrite the one recently setup?